How did everyone get into gaming

Options

Replies

• bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm with the older people on here, I started video gaming when my Aunt bought a Pong Machine back in the early 70's. I've spent most of my childhood in arcades, and playing on an Atari

But really I started with board games, my parents liked playing a lot of classic games like Backgammon and Othello, but my earliest gaming memories would be playing Risk with my dad when I was 5 or 6 (that would be around '72)
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My parents were gamers and inroduced the NES to me when I was younger :D
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My cousin down the street from me had an Atari 2600 and then a few years later a NES and I thought it was the greatest **** ever lol!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My parents never bought me games. I was raised to play outdoors and enjoy the sun. HOWEVER, my best friend/neighbor and I would go over her house and SHE had an NES. I looooved it. It was the best thing ever. When I was a bit older, my parents caved in and got me one of those ancient grey and fat gameboys. XD
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My parents never bought me games. I was raised to play outdoors and enjoy the sun. HOWEVER, my best friend/neighbor and I would go over her house and SHE had an NES. I looooved it. It was the best thing ever. When I was a bit older, my parents caved in and got me one of those ancient grey and fat gameboys. XD

I was always encouraged to play outdoors as well, I guess I was just lucky that my parents were gamers so we always had a console in the house :) Those big fat grey gameboys were AWESOME! I remember playing Pokémon on mine.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    ever since i could rememeber lol, I always looked up to my cousin and i wanted to be just like him. He just so happened to be into games big time.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I always loved the old style arcade games. I was a demon for Defender and Galaga. I grew out of those games and pretty much ended up getting my son into all the great games of his generation. Out of that, I ended up hooked on Pokemon for the Gamboy. Finally broke that habit only to be sucked into WOW by my husband, lol.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    The first game I remember owning was a Battlestar Galactica hand held video game in 1978. I still have it and it still works! Basically, one red line shooting at another. :laugh:

Not too long later, we got an amazing home video game system! The Atari 2600. We had the Sears' clone version. :laugh:

Been hooked since. I also grew up playing board games like Monopoly, Risk, Stratego. Love games.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was 14 and got a ZX Spectrum, but before that had played regularly on a friend's Atari cantrememberthenumber.
  • Joanne_C
    Options
    It all started a long time ago in a ga.. No lets not go there. It was a pong type game originally, followed by an Atari 2600, then got my first computer an Atari 800XL Wrote a couple of reviews for a few startup gaming magazines. Been hooked ever since through all kinds of consoles and computers.

It's been amazing to be there from the birth of video gaming to where we are now (even if it does make me feel old) :)
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My dad had an NES before my brother came along... My Ma probably figured her kids were gonna be just like their dad and LOVE gaming.
    My earliest Gaming memory is my Ma had just bathed my brother and I together (We are 2 years apart and I believe I was 3 at this time... maybe 2 and a half) and we had gotten our pjs on and our hair combed and we rushed to the living room to play Mario... My brother was first, he's always first... and I had to wait until he died to play (Then when I died he got to play so really, he got to play a lot more than me!) This was Super Mario Bro's 1 on the NES so it wasn't easy.
    From there it was a whirlwind of ALL THE NINTENDO PRODUCTS!!! From OG Gameboys to DS's; From the NES to the Wii... We've always had every Nintendo product as soon as it became available... probably why my dad has so much credit card debt... but I'm guessing seeing his kids happy, playing games like he used to made him happy.
    My ma took a photo of us to immortalize us forever! So here's the photo:
    games.jpg
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Atari 2600 for me! Then up to NES ( rented from the local store over and over ) then my parents finally got me an SNES...I played that thing so much it's mind-boggling. I still have all my systems to this day ;)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    When I was like 6 or 7, my parents got me the NES when we lived in Puerto Rico. I wasn't really fond of it since I was always outside playing in my Barbie Jeep [LOL] until my brother started playing and he wanted me to try it out. Since then, it's been HISTORY.
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Original Lemmings, Doom and Oregon Trail. Must I say more? ...Not that my mother was pleased about my father letting me play Doom...but that's a whole other ball of wax.

That was the beginning, I won't bore you with my gaming life's story.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Original Lemmings, Doom and Oregon Trail.

I miss Oregon Trail :( LOL
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My parents bought me a Sinclair ZX81. I remember typing in space invader's. Took me forever to do it. First proper game I played was probably 3D MOnster Maze on the ZX81.... but I did loads of coding as well (including a Traveller character generator and a random dungeon creator for D&D). Really got hugely into gaming through the Spectrum though.
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I remember being really little and playing on the Dreamcast with my dad.

Loved playing the original Super Mario and The Adventures of Link.

But I didn't REALLY start playing alone until I was about 3 or 4 and my Grandma got really into Playstation.

Hooked ever since.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I never had consoles growing up, and I wasn't allowed to spend much money in arcades, but luckily there were a lot of Mac ports of popular arcade games and my parents didn't object to me using the computer a lot (since home computers were still pretty novel at the time, and they wanted to encourage me technologically. Woohoo for our brand new, shiny Mac Classic! And then the LCIII -- amazing! Colour!!) It was mostly puzzle games and arcade game ports, so nothing too time-sink-y...until Diablo I and Final Fantasy 7 came along. Dun dun dunnnnnnn!
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    My ex bf had me try Diablo 1 & 2, got hooked never looked back =P
    played over 15 diff MMOs since lol
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    When I was a toddler, I used to play with my parents Grandstand 6000 TV Game (which I still have) and my dad also bought a ZX Spectrum 128 when I was a toddler that I used to be left to play, which is very frustrating for someone so young (who knew loading would get so quick) this is unfortunately the one console I sold, when I was about 12, the only games I can remember having, although I know we had quite a few more are The Neverending Story (I haven't even seen the film) and The Rocky Horror Show game! After this era I didn't get a new console until the Master system II, I did however have handheld games, first one being the Game & Play Donkey Kong which I still have (back is missing :sad: ) and also the original Game Boy which I still have somewhere , I still play my original Tetris cartridge on my old GBA. So that's the early years, a lot of gaming has commenced since.