BF % around competition time

Options
kimclaws
kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
Those of your who have competed, what is your average BF % on comp week? I know everyone is different but i am just curious what some are. Mine is quite low not but i don't feel like I would be ready for competition if it was close by.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    For Fitness and Figure comps, the cutoff is now 15%. The judges still want a feminine look to competitors. For competitive bodybuilding men and women, it will usually be 4%-7%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    really? because I am way lower than 15 % now. and i know i and not but enough for figure yet, i still have some work to do, I have been told by judges that I am perfect for bikini now though/
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    well, over all the judges are looking for lean and defined muscle bellies through out your body. If you have a layer of fat over your thighs or your belly, and only there, but are cut everywhere else, you are not really ready for figure. All of the body should be lean, not just most of it, before you get on stage.

Many women find that getting cut everywhere but one spot (that problem area) is something they have to work extremely hard to over come - this is normal. You may be extremely lean everywhere else. But that does not mean that you are competition ready! Make sure you have clearly defined muscle bellies in every portion of your body! Back, butt, legs, abs, arms.

Take pictures of yourself from every angle and in every type of light to uncover those problem areas.

Also make sure you are proportional! Reshape muscles as necessary to balance your body out. Too much muscle on the bottom? That means upping your upper body mass with allot of lat, pec. and shoulder work. Not enough booty? That means upping the deadlifts, plyo and hamstring muscle lifting!

Happy training!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    really? because I am way lower than 15 % now. and i know i and not but enough for figure yet, i still have some work to do, I have been told by judges that I am perfect for bikini now though/

I agree with this, when I was cut down to under 14% I still didn't look like the pictures I see of the women in many of the figure comps. Niner, they won't let you figure under 15%?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

I agree with this, when I was cut down to under 14% I still didn't look like the pictures I see of the women in many of the figure comps. Niner, they won't let you figure under 15%?
    I doubt that they measure for body fat, but some of the figure females starting coming in at the conditioning of a female bodybuilder without the mass. Lol, go figure because back in the days of Rachel McLish, that would have been the norm of female body builders before steroids became the norm for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I can say I wasn't nearly low enough (probably a 18%) and am shooting for 14 - 15% for my next bikini. Figure would be a smaller percentage.
  • Toyya
    Toyya Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My trainer has said 12-14% and how low you need to be is based on how you look. For example, I hold alot of weight in my stomach so even though I'm b/w 14 and 15 now I will probably have to drop to like 12% to get the right look.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose 5% body fat in two months?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose 5% body fat in two months?

good question, anyone?
  • temple_n
    temple_n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've manage to lose 3% in two months. It has not been easy. Unfortunately as my BF is dropping so is my butt. At 35 years old things just don't bounce back like they used to.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    my last show I was at 17% I would like to be at least 15 for next year but im working on building from here on out. (for Bikini)