Thermometer Jeans Challenge?

Options
chuisle
chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
http://www.rachelcosgrove.com/2010/10/the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-the-scale/

I love this idea! I don't know if I can drop two sizes but I like the idea of using to tell your progress, scale be damned!

Anyone want to do it?

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I actually would LOVE to do this challenge.

My (current) issue is that I have signed up (at JP Fitness Forum) for 2 x challenges (one being Jan - Apr and one being Jan - Jun) and for those challenges, I HAVE to weigh (and measure!) myself at the beginning of each month of the challenge.

So, if you're wiling to permit me to weigh myself at week 4 AND week 8, then I can do it. Believe me, I am OVER the scale. Just KNOWING that I have to step on it this week is actually p*ssing me off quite a LOT!
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm actually reading Rachel Cosgrove's book right now and I love it. And I already have my thermometer jeans, I love them but the waist is 2 inches smaller than the size I usually wear.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Oh, no worries on the weighing/measuring! I think I am going to have to do the same. I am taking pictures every 4 weeks too :)

I need to go out and get some thermometer jeans. I'll probably just go to forever21 or something. Maybe start the challenge beginning of next week?
  • RisOnTheRun
    Options
    Next week sounds good. I like the idea of taking pictures too, I'm trying to build muscle so in theory my jean size should go down faster than the scale...

Beeps maybe this is just what you need, hopefully trying on your jeans will be more pleasant than stepping on the scale!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yeah, I hope so. I don't own any "jeans thermometer" right now. And, I don't want to invest in a new pair of jeans because I don't know what SHAPE I'll morph into, you know?? (i.e. maybe the "brand" I wear right now, won't be the right sort of "brand" as I continue to lift weights)

But, let's face it, if I shrunk 2 (or more) jean sizes over the next 8 weeks, I'd be pretty happy with that!
  • chuisle
    Options
    Yeah, I hope so. I don't own any "jeans thermometer" right now. And, I don't want to invest in a new pair of jeans because I don't know what SHAPE I'll morph into, you know?? (i.e. maybe the "brand" I wear right now, won't be the right sort of "brand" as I continue to lift weights)

But, let's face it, if I shrunk 2 (or more) jean sizes over the next 8 weeks, I'd be pretty happy with that!

That's why I'm thinking forever 21. A pair of jeans can run as low as $10 and not usually higher than $20. They won't be an investment but I've worn them before and I think they would be perfect for the challenge.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    that sounds like a good idea, chuisle.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Love it! I've been trying to space out my scale visits lately (I posted about it on the other thread) I think this is a good idea. I have a pair of jeans that I love and use to gauge where I'm at. But I'd love to pick up a new pair that is the 'this is where I'm going pair!" :laugh:

I remember reading this article awhile back. I think she has wonderful advice and sound concepts.
  • chuisle
    Options
    I like making check ins mid week because I am often a bit bloated on Mondays...Official start Wednesday and try the jeans on every 1-2 weeks?
  • GingerBroad
    GingerBroad Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge b/c the focus is so much on the workout :)
    I might switch it up a little and make it a "thermometer skirt." I am not really much of a jeans wearer in general but i have this white skirt I've wanted to get back into since college. I absolutely love it and can never wear it b/c it always seems "just" too tight.

I love Wed as a check in day as well.
  • lialuck13
    Options
    I'm down!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Mind if I do my check-in on Fridays?? (I usually eat out on Tuesday nights, so am bloated on Wednesdays).

How many of us are in this challenge??

(Such a good idea, chu!!)
  • chuisle
    Options
    Do your checkins when you want!

Looks like we have 6 as of now! More are welcome to join before we begin (I guess after too but it will be less confusing is not).

How does this sound:

1. By Wednesday, February 8th (or whenever your check in day is that week) get a pair of jeans (or whatever item) about 2 sizes smaller than you would normally. You don't need to be able to button them or anything.

2. Every 2 weeks try on those jeans and see how you've progressed, scale be damned.

Basically, this is informal so don't worry yourself over the details (check in/skirt/jeans/whether or not you weigh in) but the idea is give ourselves a measuring tape that ISN'T the scale or even a measuring tape :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hey! I *did* find a pair of "thermometer" jeans in my closet!! So, now I'm even MORE excited!!

Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
  • GingerBroad
    GingerBroad Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey! I *did* find a pair of "thermometer" jeans in my closet!! So, now I'm even MORE excited!!

Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I am really excited too! I think this is the perfect challenge to get me back in shape - just in time for bikinis!
  • mamareese
    Options
    Sounds good Kate! *on the look out for my thermometer jeans* :happy:
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am in! I have several pairs of jeans in my closet since I re-gained the weight that I had already taken off :-(
    I know which one I am using for my thermometer jeans though. My favorite jeans that my boyfriend says make my butt look incredible. Can't even button them anymore.
    Not sure I will be able to stay away from the scale, but going to try.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    this is getting EXCITING!!
  • RisOnTheRun
    Options
    I tried on my jeans today. I could get them on (with some shimmying), but I didn't even try to button them. I measured 3 inches from the middle of the button to the middle of the button hole, so I'm going to try to decrease that gap.

Before I started MFP I couldn't even pull these jeans all the way up, so it definitely felt great to see some progress!
  • mamareese
    Options
    Alright alright. I'm ready! I didn't end up needing to shop, found a pair I used to rock back in the day. :laugh: Right now I hover between a juniors 11 & 13 (I know, I'm almost 30 and I just can't stop buying jeans in the juniors section...old habits! Plus they are always LONGER than women's and at 5'8.5 I appreciate the extra length!!) So my therm. jeans are 9s. Not too much size wise but these babies aren't going over my thighs at this point and that's where I have a hella time losing (hence why I still hover between the above sizes!) so if I can use these to gauge they'll definitely show me I'm making progress!!