If you workout post-night shift (before bed)...

Options
Do you have the opportunity to sleep BEFORE going into work the night before? I would love to get my workout in before going to bed in the morning so I don't have it hanging over my head in the evening after I sleep but I do not have an opportunity to sleep before going into work the night before. So by the time I get home in the morning, I have been awake for 25-28 hours.

Thanks for sharing you tips & stories!

Replies

• bkbabe99
    bkbabe99 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get home in the morning I immediately work out. Right now I'm doing the 30 day shred so that's only about 27 min of my time. I prefer to get that out of the way. I shower, have my breakfast, and stay up a bit so I can digest the food before sleeping. I leave my house no later than 6pm so I get up around 4:30pm. I'm in no mood to workout at that time.
  • amusco_rn
    Options
    Thank you! I should have mentioned that I don't do back to back nights except for my weekend on, so I am able to work out at night after sleeping during the day. Like right now....11:30pm here and I just finished.
  • bkbabe99
    bkbabe99 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If it's my night off, I *might* do that. Most times I'm worried that I might get lazy later on so I do it in the morning. However, if I am still energized after waking up I might go ahead and do something extra like zumba, hip hop abds, or one of my walking dvds.
  • MpotRN21
    MpotRN21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's always my plan to work out before I go to bed when I get home from work, but that almost never happens. I am so wiped from running all night I fall face first in to bed. But I'm caught because if I work back to back there's no way I can get myself out of bed any earlier than I do (I have to get up at 345 to pick up my little one from school) so on back to back days I don't get a workout in. I'm not a fan of this solution, but as long as I'm getting in enough the rest of the week, for now I guess I'll have to deal.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get my workouts in before i go to bed.
    Before i was trying to get on t he treadmill when i get up, but seems like lately i get in bed later and later therefore i get up later and later!!!
    I do try to catch up on the weekend when I am off work, but i tend to get lazy:ohwell:
    trying to do better:bigsmile:
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It really changes for me some nights I do some kind of exercise at work if possible. Other days it just depends on who in my family wants to work out with me. My moms more likely to work out in the morning after her night shift, but if its the kids its after school. Hubby.. He's still working on getting there :) .
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get home I get in my work out. Whatever it may be for that day. Then I eat a small snack and take a shower and go to bed. I sleep SO well, it blows my mind. But it gets the fog and stress of the night out of my brain. It relaxes me and it's better than a therapist when the night was traumatic. Expecially when I work in the unit and in the ER. The ER can be killer.
  • annputation23
    Options
    I'm going to start tomorrow doing some Zumba on my Wii for 20 min and move it up to 30 in a month. I'm a nurse on the Ortho unit 7pm-7:30am.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I do. For me my normal work hours are 11pm-730am. During the work week after I get off work I'll hit the YMCA for weights, swim, or Zumba. I also go outside and jog. I work weekends and everyone at my work is really laid back. Also on the weekend it's rarely busy. I'll come into work wearing workout clothes and go outside for a fitness break 30-45 mins @ 2am. I work @ a Naval base so I don't have to worry about strangers, traffic or prowlers at night. Plus there's a football field and track I go out on very near my workplace. The only problem I ever had was the occasional drunk sailor hitting on me because they think I'm a girl..........ya my moobies used to be that big........:blushing:
  • redtop2187
    redtop2187 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I work 7pm-7am. I have to workout whenever I leave work because I can't seem to fit exercise in before I go to work. There are no particular reasons...I just always get sidetracked or tied up doing something from the time I wake up till time I go to work. Also I have found that I sleep so much better when I work out after a shift. I almost always don't eat after my workout. Sometimes I feel like I am starving to the point I can't sleep/stay asleep so I have a GNC Total Lean Shake before going to bed. All this though is dependent on me packing a gym bag before I leave for work. I have learned that all good intentions to go home, change clothes, then go to the gym does not work at all!
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to workout post-night shift before bed. I work 12hr shifts. I don't do much of anything on my work days but eat, shower and sleep. A couple of times I've taken a sleeping pill and then worked out, so the exercise wouldn't wake me up too much before bed. It worked out okay.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    sorry posted twice
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I find I am too tired to work after nights. I exercise the day of my first night then work my 3 nights, then try to exercise on my nights off ( rarely mange anything that 1st sleep day).
    I work 2200-0800 and work involves about 90 minutes walking each night.
  • k43la
    k43la Posts: 18
    Options
    I work 7p to 7a, and once I get done with my paperwork I have about an hour or so of downtime that I use to make laps around my unit. My coworkers think I'm crazy, but I get a few miles in :P
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I work 2230-0700 and I hit the gym after work (and then sometimes a dvd when I get home). I know for a fact that I won't get up early to work out. And I've started running, so that really wears me out and I find I sleep so much better in the morning.
  • cavemancop
    cavemancop Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning after working all night. The only problems I have is that A. I can't use any caffiene pre-work because I would get absolutely no sleep and B. my gym opens late on the week ends which sucks because I am not going to push my work out back an hour just to lift weights
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning after working all night. The only problems I have is that A. I can't use any caffiene pre-work because I would get absolutely no sleep and B. my gym opens late on the week ends which sucks because I am not going to push my work out back an hour just to lift weights

Yeah, my gym opens 3 hours later on the weekends. It blows. I usually don't get there on the weekends - I'll either have a rest day or do some dvd workouts at home.
  • glad23
    glad23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually try to workout right before work unless it's my day off, I'm lucky to live across the street from my gym so I have no excuse to not workout. What I find difficult is the first day of work when I'm up for like 20hrs at that point I think rest is way more important than workingout.
  • cadency
    Options
    I have a hard time sleeping during the day and find that if I wake up and can't sleep, I'll try to walk the neighborhood or soon here, I'm going to get a wii fit and do that. That's the only time I workout before work. I otherwise work at the hospital gym for half an hour to 45 minutes post-work. The issues I run into, though, are if I try to run (training for a 5k with the run5k app) I have a hard time 'cause my legs seem to swell after work. They get heavy and the running is harder cause I'm usually just simply exhausted.

I put in a request for days. I'm so over what night shift does to my body!
  • 7bel0
    7bel0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Working nights and working out is hard. I'm sure others have this issue but I rarely can sleep a consecutive 2+ hours during the day. It's awful. So, waking up early to get my butt to the gym every day that I'm working is a joke. So, instead, IF I have energy in the morning when I get out of work, I try to do 15-30 minutes of pilates or sometimes I go for a walk by the river by the hospital I work at. AND if I can't sleep, I wake up early in time to spend an hour at the gym before going to bed. If not, I MAKE myself go to the gym (and log at least 90 minutes a day of cardio) on the other 4 days that I don't have to sleep all day long. It's not the easiest thing in the world.

Also, 22 laps around our unit (it's a circle) equals about a mile. S**W nights=mile. :)