Natural Remedies

Options
New to PCOS (less than two months diagnosed). Committed to avoid hormones and RX drugs and changing my lifestyle if necessary. I've started taking DIM, Dong Quai, Evening Primrose, cinnamon, chromium, and adopted a low GI diet. Mostly, I just want to regulate my cycle and lose some weight. I have acne, but no abnormal hair growth. Low energy and fatigue has negatively impacted my life. I also have asthma, which may or may not be related. Has anyone tried these or other supplements and seen any success with alleviating these symptoms naturally? I've read DIM can actually dissolve the cysts and help ovulation to occur more frequently. Let me know if you have experience with these, or other natural remedies that you would or would not recommend.

Replies

• lynnstar_lynnstar
    lynnstar_lynnstar Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had not heard of DIM, so I will definitely need to research a bit. I have mild hirsutism and have used spearmint tea to counteract the hair growth (on my chin area) It has worked fairly well but I'm not certain about other natural remedies for PCOS. Patiently waiting to read more responses...
  • MatchGirl86
    Options
    Do you drink the tea? How much do you use per day?
  • lynnstar_lynnstar
    Options
    Yes, I drink the spearmint tea by the brand Tadin. One cup in the morning (about 4 or 5 days a week)
  • MatchGirl86
    Options
    I drink tea every day. Green tea and yerba mate, usually. Dong Quai also comes in tea form, which I only drink the first two weeks of my cycle.
  • mandiemma
    mandiemma Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! :-)

What i'm taking for Vitamins:

(1) B Complex - very important for PCOS - I've learned that Vitamin B6 helps with fertility, helps control weight, helps maintain a normal hormone balance and blood sugar levels, B2, B3, and B5 are also supposed to help with weight and B2 and B3 is needed by your body for normal thyroid hormone production...

(2) Vitamin D
    (3) Zinc
    (4) Chromium
    (5) Magnesium
    (6) cinnamon ( I usually just put a stick of cinnamon in my tea)
    (7) Co-Enzyme Q10
    (8) Fish Oil

I've read about "D-chiro-inositol" and am considering adding this as well... apparently Inositol is necessary to convert food into energy. D-chiro-inositol helps increase insulin sensitivity, making the insulin more useful in glucose metabolism.

Wow, seeing all that written down makes me feel like a pill popper... at least they're all natural eh? hahaha
  • lynnstar_lynnstar
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your vitamin list. Great info about the B vitamins!
  • annatin1018
    Options
    I have PCOS, and I suffer from EVERY symptom. I am currently not on any medication, bc I am unemployed and have no ins. benefits right now. If someone could tell me like 3 or 4 vitamins that I really need to be taking everyday I would really appreciate it :smile: I am on a low carb diet and exercise daily, I am 292 lbs. and need to lose as much weight possible. Thanks in advance everybody!
  • MatchGirl86
    Options
    Here's what I've learned so far about natural remedies:

Diet:
    Low glycemic diet all the way = best all around solution
    Limit processed soy products (interferes with natural hormone production)
    Avoid meat treated with hormones or antibiotics
    Drink a TON of water
    Avoid caffeine, alcohol and drugs

Supplements:
    Take 100mg DIM tablets daily (stop after ovulation if you are trying to conceive).
    Drink Dong Quai tea daily (see DIM disclaimer)
    Take 100mg Evening Primrose tablets or oil
    Drink green tea daily
    Take cinnamon, chromium, biotin, and vitamin B complex
    Take fish oil or flax seed oil
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Thank you, I am planning on getting these next time I go to the health food store :)
  • MatchGirl86
    Options
    Here are some other, lesser known remedies:

vitex-agnus-castus
    rhodiola rosea
    ashwagandha
    siberian ginseng
    sarsaparilla
    white peony

Also, nutritional yeast is a great source of all B vitamins, protein, and many amino acids that can be beneficial to women with PCOS.
  • kckrahn
    kckrahn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have been taking. I have actually had 2 regular cycles in a row which has never happened before.

http://healthyimmunity.com/products/Glucosmart-for-Diabetic-Support.asp

http://healthyimmunity.com/products/Estrosmart-Plus.asp
  • emmabebi
    emmabebi Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, I have had PCOS for a while and gained a lot of weight and hair growth. I have been put on Rx and Metformin to manage the weight. I can certainly say the combination has helped. I had lost 18 lbs on Metformin. Now, it's time for me to add healthy habits.

I'm glad I found this.

My doctor told me a combination of Vitamin A, B-complex, D, E and Cranberry supplement is good for people with PCOS. Is anybody else doing this?

Can somebody help me with what kinds of food help people with PCOS?

Thanks

P.S. I am looking for friends I can check in with weekly. Thanks.
  • brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There's an article in the March 26th edition of Woman's World magazine about metabolic syndrome. They suggest taking resveratrol. It is supposed to help insulin do its job. Has anyone else heard about this? I'm going to ask my doctor about it when I see her in a couple of weeks.
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for sharing! I have PCOS really appreciate the information.
  • QueenJenna
    QueenJenna Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Holy Vitamins batman! :laugh: Is there a multi-vitamin that I can take instead? I have a hard time taking pills, so one a day would be much better for me.
  • sstein21
    sstein21 Posts: 25
    Options
    I pretty much have to be on Birth Control pills to help regulate my Acne, and to regulate my testosterone levels. I just this week started taking Cinnamon, 500mg. and Chromium, 200mcg a day to see if that helps with insulin resistance becuase my doctor says my blood work dosent warrent going on metformin....Kinda frustrating for me =(
  • peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I researched the heck out of the vitamins I'm taking. I have a little more energy and I'm getting a more regular period flow (I'm on BC -- Loestrin 24FE). Here's what I currently take. Brand/type, mg, and (quantity):

New Chapter Organics Every Woman Whole Food Multi (1)
    New Chapter Wholemega Whole Fish Oil 1000mg (2)
    Alpha Lipoic Acid 600mg & Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl 1000mg (2)
    D3 1000IU (1)
    Chelated Chromium 200mcg (1)
    B6 100mg (1)
    Evening Primrose Oil 500mg (1)
    Calcium-Magnesium Complex 1000mg-500mg (2)
    B12 2000mcg (1)
    C 1000mg with rose hips 10mg (1)

I compiled my regimen/quantities from various books, articles and cross-referenced things. I found that "Mary's PCOS Treatment FAQ" (PCOSfaq.com) was thorough and gave great info on levels, etc. There are other more general lists like: http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/supplements.html.

Unfortunately, there's no one non-medication supplement that's a magic bullet. These are just what worked for me, but everyone is different. Always check drug interactions and consult your doc if you have one.