prop 8 down

Options
MikeSEA
MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
For those who don't read the debate group...

The appeal to Walker's ruling on prop 8 was not uheld. Yay our team.

Sadly, it doesn't appear to have much impact on anyone unless their union was recognized as marriage and then had that right taken away.

There's a distinction between Romer v Evans and Loving v Virginia.

Replies

• diddypants
    Options
    This is good news but still so much more than needs to happen/be achieved/etc. I currently live in a state where marriage is outright banned....gay marriage that is.

However, more and more states seem to be getting on board so can't give up hope, but it is Missourah. :huh:

I just don't get how it is ever ok to vote on someone's personal rights. I saw a great pic that says it all.....If We Can't Marry - You Can't Divorce! :laugh: That would surely change things up a bit.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    They say that washington is the next to accept gay marriage.

The appeal of prop 8 should be on the november ballot in california.

Yaaayyyy.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry, i just have to say it. i'm friggin TIRED of godsdamned BABY STEPS. is this good? yeah. but i'm so frustrated right now.

i just want to fast forward to the day the US Supreme Court says that DOMA is bunkum and i can celebrate the marriages of my friends. it's 2012, why are we still fighting for equality?

i'll be over here, signing more petitions as i beat my head on the wall.

**on a related note, i would also like to lose weight in a montage. that would be fabulous. i know we have to work for it. i know that. i'm just frustrated.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm with maab, this is awesome in it's own right, but we need more. We need equality for everybody. It's nobody's business who I want to marry, or anybody else, so why are they making it their business?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry, i just have to say it. i'm friggin TIRED of godsdamned BABY STEPS. is this good? yeah. but i'm so frustrated right now.

i just want to fast forward to the day the US Supreme Court says that DOMA is bunkum and i can celebrate the marriages of my friends. it's 2012, why are we still fighting for equality?

**on a related note, i would also like to lose weight in a montage. that would be fabulous. i know we have to work for it. i know that. i'm just frustrated.

Aahahaha, Weight loss montage!

If you think you're frustrated try being a Californian. Every time I saw a yes on 8 bumper sticker I wanted to drag the person out of the car and punch them in the genitals.
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    Here's how the opposing perspective goes. It's not rational, and therefore shouldn't be an issue of law, but people vote for irrational things all the time.

Lots of people view themselves as primarily married people. That is, their marriage, and the fact that they're married, is a huge part of their identity. Not only that but marriage is an important social construct--frequently religious.

So when a group comes along with what is a redefinition of their view of marriage using a secular authority that our conservative married person secretly wishes would probably be religious in nature anyway, yeah they freak out.

They are incapable of separating themselves from their religious views to the necessary extent to see that what they're supporting makes no sense to someone who just doesn't happen to share their perspective. The fact that the opposing force (in this case, marriage equality movements) may have legal justifications is sort of irrelevant, and possibly more inflammatory to someone who thinks that the government is interfering with their religious beliefs by not imposing them on everyone. It is a fundamental insult to the concept of freedom of religion, but there we have it.
  • maab_connor
    Options

If you think you're frustrated try being a Californian. Every time I saw a yes on 8 bumper sticker I wanted to drag the person out of the car and punch them in the genitals.

*hands you shiny sticker* you have the restraint of a saint.

i have a neighbor who has one of those "marriage = one man, one woman" bumper stickers. i thought i was good for not egging the car every morning.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

*hands you shiny sticker* you have the restraint of a saint.

i have a neighbor who has one of those "marriage = one man, one woman" bumper stickers. i thought i was good for not egging the car every morning.

Ugh I had this neighbor who's car was COVERED in stickers about how life begins at conception (pictures of babies/fetuses), yes on prop 8 (with its stupid picture of a family holding hands, like gay families can't hold hands as good as straight families?), and so on and so on. The whole back of the car was COVERED in them. It offended me every time I saw it and it was on the way to the garbage bins.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it doesn't appear to have much impact on anyone unless their union was recognized as marriage and then had that right taken away.

I'm not following you. The couples who married during the six months between the California Supreme Court's ruling and the passage of Prop 8 remained married, even before today's ruling. The California Supreme Court ruled that about three years ago.

This ruling (if and when it becomes final) applies to people who didn't marry during those six months and will be able to.

But probably this ruling will be "stayed" (put on hold) until the issue is decided by the US Supreme Court.

And in any case, "married in California" still means "single" as far as the federal government is concerned because of DOMA (except for tax purposes in community property states).
  • MikeSEA
    Options

I'm not following you. The couples who married during the six months between the California Supreme Court's ruling and the passage of Prop 8 remained married, even before today's ruling. The California Supreme Court ruled that about three years ago.

This ruling (if and when it becomes final) applies to people who didn't marry during those six months and will be able to.

But probably this ruling will be "stayed" (put on hold) until the issue is decided by the US Supreme Court.

And in any case, "married in California" still means "single" as far as the federal government is concerned because of DOMA (except for tax purposes in community property states).

I meant that the ruling is pretty specific to the situation in CA itself. The case law that they cited indicated that you can't grant people access to marriage and yank it away again. So if you live in a state that doesn't already allow, or hasn't allowed same-sex marriage, even if this goes to SCOTUS, it's only helpful in a very limited way.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Got ya. Thanks for explaining. It does look like they went out of their way so that this applies only to California and not all of the 9th circuit, let alone the entire country.

Meanwhile, Washington seems to be making good progress.

"Washington's state Senate passed the bill 28-21 Wednesday. This week, the bill goes to the House, where it is likely to pass, said Sen. Ed Murray, a Democrat and the bill's sponsor. Gov. Chris Gregoire, a Democrat, has said she will sign the bill if it makes it to her desk." http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-02-06/washington-gay-marriage-bill/52994722/1

Are there wedding bells in your future, MikeSea?
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    Got ya. Thanks for explaining. It does look like they went out of their way so that this applies only to California and not all of the 9th circuit, let alone the entire country.

Meanwhile, Washington seems to be making good progress.

"Washington's state Senate passed the bill 28-21 Wednesday. This week, the bill goes to the House, where it is likely to pass, said Sen. Ed Murray, a Democrat and the bill's sponsor. Gov. Chris Gregoire, a Democrat, has said she will sign the bill if it makes it to her desk." http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-02-06/washington-gay-marriage-bill/52994722/1

Are there wedding bells in your future, MikeSea?

There would be if it weren't a few referendums that will no doubt be filed that will prevent the new law from taking effect until a ballot initiative in November. Looks we're gearing up for our own Prop 8 battle. Buckle up.

On happy side, the new law should pass and get signed by the governor easily at this point. Whether or not it will ever take effect is another issue.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Looks to me like if Washington passes same-sex marriage, then a proposition to revoke it would make Washington's situation like the one ruled unconstitutional today in California. Since Washington is also in the 9th circuit, the precedent would apply . . . unless today's ruling gets overturned by the Supreme Court.
  • MikeSEA
    Options
    I tend to agree, but I'm not an lawyer either :)
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    A small step forward for America. :)
    One day, your country will catch up.. it's definitely getting there.
  • diddypants
    Options

Meee too... I want DOMA to go away more than anything so people will stop judging my marriage and/or telling me it's nice and all but doesn't mean jack sh&t. It means EVERYTHING to me and my wife. We travelled on a bus to Iowa last year with a handful of other couples in Missouri so that we could get married. It simply should not be this way considering how easy it is for heterosexuals to get married (ie wedding chapels in Vegas, Florida, etc).

As far as folks with silly, intolerant stickers....punch them in the junk a few times for me. :glasses:
  • maab_connor
    Options

Meee too... I want DOMA to go away more than anything so people will stop judging my marriage and/or telling me it's nice and all but doesn't mean jack sh&t. It means EVERYTHING to me and my wife. We travelled on a bus to Iowa last year with a handful of other couples in Missouri so that we could get married. It simply should not be this way considering how easy it is for heterosexuals to get married (ie wedding chapels in Vegas, Florida, etc).

As far as folks with silly, intolerant stickers....punch them in the junk a few times for me. :glasses:

exactly!! your marriage is NOT less! your relationship is NOT LESS! this is why the baby steps are just killing me right now. friggin Kim Kardashian can be married for less time than Dora the Explorer gives 4 year olds to figure out where the mountain is on the map - but THAT is totally legit. give me a BREAK.