Bragging rights, did u just finished your 1st HM in 2012?

ktweldon3
ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
There are many people coming up on their first HM from the discussions I've seen, I'd like to hear from people on how it went. Use this post to share the good, the bad and the ugly!

Replies

• AngelMc78
    AngelMc78 Posts: 9 Member
    Mine is Sunday, excited and nervous! But I'm ready!
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Good luck, can't wait to hear about it!! Mines on the 17th Feb - only 10 days away!!
  • I did a virtual one with Nike + Jan 15th. Walked most of it. Signed up for one in May. I would like to run more than walk... we shall see.
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    I completed the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland on January 29th. Time: 2:40. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. I can't wait to do another one!
  • hedkell
    I completed the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland on January 29th. Time: 2:40. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. I can't wait to do another one!

Congrats, well done!!
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    My first half is on 18 days!!! I'll let you know how I did when it's over. I'm getting so anxious!
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    DId mine this morning! It was a blustery 36 degrees with a mile and a half of the course on the beach so we were chilly but it went pretty well, all things considered. It was my 4th time doing this race and usually I end up walking the last 2 mi bridge but force myself to run 4min, walk 1 almost the whole way.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Congrats on your HM elf618! My training officially started yesterday.
  • AngelMc78
    AngelMc78 Posts: 9 Member
    Did my first HM yesterday 2/12 in the National Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville,FL......
    Awesome event, but freezing cold! It was 30 degrees with quite a bit of wind and then the 1.5 miles on the beach at the half way point.....
    I ran the first 7.5-8 miles of it at a 13 min pace and then started to have to walk a bit and was able to do run/walk intervals at that point. The walking of course made me slower than I'd hoped for.
    The last 2 miles up the bridge was the hardest, but I pushed through with running as much as I could and walking when I felt like I would fall out. Coming down the bridge after mile 12 I felt my left foot start to feel very tender on the top. I wasn't going to let it stop me though. I pushed through to the end and finish 3:21 clock time, 3:16 chip time.
    Didn't make my goal time of under 3 hours, but I did meet my goal of completing a 1/2 marathon. 50 pounds ago I couldn't of imagined running a mile, much less participating in a HM. I still want/need to lose another 30-40 lbs and I hope that when I've lost more, I'll be able to get a better PR :-)
    To anyone that has a HM set as a weight loss goal - Don't Give Up. Don't Stop. Keep Training. Keep Believing in yourself. You have NO idea what your body is capable of enduring when put to the test. :-)
  • First half marathon was Mercedes on 2/12. Kept my pace right at 10m/mi (or within :30) for the first 11, then did the last two right at 9. Finished just under 2:15, about 15 minutes faster than I'd planned. As a result, I figured out my max heart rate is actually higher than the 183 I thought it was...

Going to drive down to Florida to do another one in April, then again in October. Now I'm thinking it may actually be realistic to shoot for breaking 2 hours....which, considering just over a year ago I was almost 100 pounds heavier and could hardly walk up a flight of stairs without gasping for breath, is something I have a hard time believing I can say with a straight face.

That was the first organized 'race' I've done, it was alot of fun. Going to make a point now to run in races whenever I have the chance. I think I like the half marathon distance, but now I want to try some shorter ones (5k, 10k, etc) to see what those are like. The crowd for the Mercedes was *huge*, like 5k people or so...which made it even more exciting. Had a friend to run with, too, which really helped. I've pretty much trained completely alone on all my hundreds of miles of running in the last year, it's amazing how having a partner can speed things along (because you start talking and sorta forget you are running, which takes your mind off of how hard it is) so I think I'm going to try to make a point to find more people to run with on my weekend long runs. I've already guilt-ed/inspired 3 or 4 of my friends into dieting and now running, so hopefully we can all coordinate our schedules a bit better.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    My 1st is Feb 25th
  • hedkell
    Yay, finished my first half yesterday!! 2:28 just under my goal time of 2:30, pretty happy with that!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Yay, finished my first half yesterday!! 2:28 just under my goal time of 2:30, pretty happy with that!
    well done.
  • ktweldon3
    ktweldon3 Posts: 25 Member
    Lovin' the stories keep 'em coming! Good Job Everyone!
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Finished my first half yesterday. official time was 2hours 25 minutes and 8 seconds. The race was awesome. Disney sure knows how to put on a good show! The entertainment on the course is a great distraction.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Everyone is so inspiring and I love to hear how great everyone is doing. I'm 9 weeks away from my 1st HM and 3 weeks into my training...so far so good but I'm only at a 6 mile long run...
  • chipmunk70
    chipmunk70 Posts: 55 Member
    Did my first HM yesterday 2/12 in the National Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville,FL......
    Awesome event, but freezing cold! It was 30 degrees with quite a bit of wind and then the 1.5 miles on the beach at the half way point.....
    I ran the first 7.5-8 miles of it at a 13 min pace and then started to have to walk a bit and was able to do run/walk intervals at that point. The walking of course made me slower than I'd hoped for.
    The last 2 miles up the bridge was the hardest, but I pushed through with running as much as I could and walking when I felt like I would fall out. Coming down the bridge after mile 12 I felt my left foot start to feel very tender on the top. I wasn't going to let it stop me though. I pushed through to the end and finish 3:21 clock time, 3:16 chip time.
    Didn't make my goal time of under 3 hours, but I did meet my goal of completing a 1/2 marathon. 50 pounds ago I couldn't of imagined running a mile, much less participating in a HM. I still want/need to lose another 30-40 lbs and I hope that when I've lost more, I'll be able to get a better PR :-)
    To anyone that has a HM set as a weight loss goal - Don't Give Up. Don't Stop. Keep Training. Keep Believing in yourself. You have NO idea what your body is capable of enduring when put to the test. :-)

Thanks for your post, just what I needed. I've got my first half coming up in 15 days time - yikes ! I've lost 90+ pounds, and even 50 lbs ago I couldn't of dreamt of running a mile let alone a half marathon ! - keep getting nervous about doing it even now......thinking I'll make a fool of myself, especially as my training has been practically non-existant........just hoping that my body will hold up to the test in 15 days time !