IronMan

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for my first HIM in July. I doubt I'll ever go full IM (for a few reasons), but excited and nervous about the half!
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I did Ironman Austria in 2011. In the run up I entered a Middle Distance (= half iron distance) but DNFed after the swim due to the cold. So I stood on the start line of the Ironman having never completed further than a Standard/Oly distance - and finished. So later in 2011 I did finish a Middle Distance which was a bit of an odd experience in that in some ways it seemed "easier" in that I'd gone twice as far, but in other ways it was a tougher race, especially the swim.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I id a half last year and plan on another one this year. I want to do a full Ironman sometime in my future.... I'm 30 now so, perhaps by the time I'm 35 or 40. I only want to do it once.... The training load is just way too much for someone who has other interests.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Nice to see so many people on here doing the longer Tri's.

I'm entered and paid up for IronMan Wales, late summer. Training like mad for it, but enjoying every minuet!

Most of you will know this next resource, but for anyone who has missed it, endurance corner is well worth the time! Well at least the free articles are! Would love to have some coaching but I'm too miserly to pay for it!

http://www.endurancecorner.com/
  • cafeldmann
    cafeldmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've done 5 HIM's and I did Ironman Wisconsin in 2003. I'd like to do another Ironman, but I need to get my head into a place where I want to spend that much of my life training. Right now it's not there. HIM training is a lot more manageable.

I am doing another half this year (Rev 3 Cedar Point) in September. I'm feeling pretty out of shape right now, though! I broke my ankle at the end of July, and I am still recovering full function. No running yet unfortunately, but I can ride my bike and I am doing the elliptical and other things to just generally get back my aerobic fitness after months of inactivity.
  • isanomade
    isanomade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome free website for swimming skills! http://www.swimsmooth.com/
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    These are excellant swim drills. This is a link to just one of the drills but all will show up that were made by this person:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGkiUCqmJs8&feature=BFa&list=ULWfhSiytfVHM&lf=mfu_in_order
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the IM Steelhead 70.3 this year, and I'd like to do an 140 late 2013.

Is this your first HIM? Enjoy! Who knows, maybe they'll actually have the swim this year!
  • crux
    Options
    Anyone done a race with a sea swim?

I'm wondering how you deal with the salt left over after the swim. Normally after being in the sea all I can think about is a shower!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Usually the salt doesn't bother me in a race. As soon as you get on the bike you won't even notice it.
    For practice though I definitely need to shower afterwards and give everything a good rinse.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear everyone with like goals. My goal is to do a HIM, Augusta 70.3 this September. I have several races planned this year and the HIM will top off my schedule.

That is a great 1st HIM!!! Did it this pass Sept. LOVED the swim :)

I have a small eye on DC's HIM...not sure. DH is/will be training for Florida IM in Nov so I am on the back burner with our kid so he can train all he needs too.
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I'm wondering how you deal with the salt left over after the swim. Normally after being in the sea all I can think about is a shower!

I'm with Panda, you don't even notice it in a race by the time you get on to the bike. If you are doing it right you'll be sweating out enough of your own salty goodness anyway.

That's been my experience with an ocean swim at least.

S
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good luck everyone with going long - it's a magical feeling when you cross that finishline and realise what you've just achieved.

Did my first in 2007, less than 12 months after doing my first sprint - have now completed 3 Ironman races.

Currently training for numbers 4 and 5 which I'll do 5 weeks apart this summer. First is Ironman Lanzarote which has a reputation of being really tough because of the hills, heat and unpredictable wind. Hopefully building on that I'll have a decent crack at the Outlaw ( in the UK ).

It's going to be fun :laugh:
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Crux,

I did Gulf Coast tri 70.3 which has an ocean swim. I didn't notice the salt water after. Too many other things to think about. That said, it's very hard to site out in the ocean. Luckily there was a tall hotel that someone told me to site, so that helped me stay on track. Also, swimming in the ocean is like swimming on a water bed....up, down, up, down. It was very weird!!! If you're not used to getting past those breakers too, then you'll want to practice that. I lived off Clearwater beach as a teenager so the ocean was no big deal to me, but it can be intimidating for some!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I didn't even notice the salt until I was done racing. Then I felt all gross and sticky, but it really wasn't any different than any other swim I've done.

• kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear everyone with like goals. My goal is to do a HIM, Augusta 70.3 this September. I have several races planned this year and the HIM will top off my schedule.

That is a great 1st HIM!!! Did it this pass Sept. LOVED the swim :)

I have a small eye on DC's HIM...not sure. DH is/will be training for Florida IM in Nov so I am on the back burner with our kid so he can train all he needs too.

I plan to take a trip to Agusta and go over the bike route. How hilly is it?
  • mewhisler
    mewhisler Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fun thread! I have done 3 half IMs and 3 full IMs. I did IM Louisville in 2008 and 2009. Then, I did IM Brazil in 2010. Brazil was salt water - the shower water afterwards helped. One trick for me was to put a piece of chewing gum in my biking pouch. Once I was on the bike, I put it in my mouth and it got rid of the salt water taste.

I actually got burned out after doing 3 in 3 years (in addition to a few marathons)...so 2011 was a break year. This year I am doing a half IM...to try to get back in shape. We'll see how that goes :)
  • alnik1
    Options
    I have done heaps of short distance/olympic distance triathlons and one half ironman at the beginning of 2011. Have just been sidetracked as I've had both of my shoulders reconstructed but the plan is for ironman brazil in 2013! Myfitnesspal is a great tool and is helping me loose the weight I've put on because of the surgeries but is also great to use when training to ensure I'm eating enough to make up for all the hours of exercise!
    So fantastic and inspiring to see so many people on here with similar goals :)
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I did Ironman Canada in 2008. I had the time of my life but I really haven't done anything since.

This year, I plan on doing a sprint as it's been 6 years since I've done one and it'll be a good place to restart.

If I can't sell my tri bike, I may have to do a long distance tri again!
  • crux
    Options
    Ok... I'm starting to think seriously about race nutrition and long training day nutrition... So what are your tips and strategy's?

One genius thing I read about is a corned beef and brown sauce sandwich (probably a UK only thing) for on the bike. In normal life that can be pretty rank but after 5 hours of sugar it was heaven!!!