Practice: AM or PM?

Options
jlira01
jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
What would be the ideal time to practice for you? Anyone know any guidance or recommendations either way?

I do most/all of practice at night, after 7pm or as late as 10pm. I'd like to do some AM practice, but can't get up that early and have a long commute.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I like to practice in the afternoon. I don't like getting up early, so I would rather practice in the evening than in the morning.

The only reason you shouldn't practice too late is that some poses are considered energizing and could keep you awake (backbends and arm balances for example).

I wouldn't worry about it, do what you can, when you can, as often as you can.
  • JessAryn
    Options
    I do in the AM. Im a morning person so it just works for me. Plus then I feel energized all day.

I tend to put my teapot on a lower heat on the burner right before I start my yoga so then I know I can have a good relaxing cup of tea afterwards. =]
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a night person when I practice yoga. On Saturdays I teach an 11am class and I think that's reasonable. But 6am yoga? Haha! Not me.

I have a hard time getting out of bed. I WISH I was a morning person but I just dont have the drive right now to become a morning person. Plus, I prefer taking classes in a studio, so it's just easier to find classes that start at 7pm versus 530 or 6am.

When I was in yoga teacher training though, they "made" us wake up early, brush our teeth (and scrape our tongue), meditate, and do a personal yoga practice first thing in the morning. I think traditional yogis are more apt to practice in the early morning.
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    I have a Rodney Yee video with five 20-min practices. I try to do one every day before sitting at my desk all day. And then I usually do the hip openers or forward bends after I run. (Running and yoga are the basis of my exercise routine right now.)

I also try to hit a couple hour-long yoga/pilates classes per week after work.