Love hot yoga - but my hair hates it!

Options
Nina103
Nina103 Posts: 7 Member
Does anyone have any tips for keeping your hair healthy? I increased my practice to 5-6 times a week. I absolutely love the hot room, but my hair seems to hate it. It gets dry and brittle. I have to wash it after every class. My studio has a reputation for being really hot (116%)
Anyone else having similar problems or any suggestions?

Replies

• shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Do you blow-dry your hair every time you wash it? I hate the fact that I have to shampoo my hair after every class as I generally like to do that only a couple of times a week. And I hate blowdrying my hair, my hair doesn't like that kind of heat. I do 8pm classes so rather than dry my hair when it's wet, I put it into two braids and sleep with it like that.

You could try spraying your hair with a leave-in conditioner before class.

Do you use a sulfate-free shampoo?

I've started using deep conditioners a lot more since I started bikram, as well as a leave-in conditioner after my shower to keep my hair healthy. It doesn't like the heat either.
  • Nina103
    Options
    I do blow dry my hair - on warm instead of hot. I use biolage sulfate free shampoo and just recently started using moroccan oil conditioner. Which leave-in conditioner do you use?
    Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to think I was the only one.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I use Giovanni Vitapro Fusion Leave-in. My hair tangles like crazy and it's the only one I've found so far that makes it easy to comb through.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not washing every day. I know your hair is sopping wet with sweat - I used to wash it twice a day while doing doubles, and my hair did not like it. I spoke with my aveda stylist about it and she recommended just rinsing it really well, and if you feel like you need more than that you can condition it - the conditioner will actually remove impurities from your hair without stripping it like shampoo does. Or maybe try a dry shampoo at the roots a few days a week instead of regular washing?
  • teenes
    teenes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tip from my yoga teacher and other yoga fanatic friends: comb some coconut oil into your hair and throw a shower cap over it for 15-20 minutes. Even better if you then wrap it all up in a damp, warm towel - that will open up your hair follicles. The oils will rehydrate your hair. And bonus points- you can use the coconut oil for body lotion or cooking too! :-)
  • Nina103
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I will try just conditioning every other day and pick up some coconut oil.:smile:
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion! I especially liked the tip about the coconut oil and will give that a try.

I really try to avoid washing my hair everyday. And I also do not blow-dry it after every washing. I like it to air-dry --even with my thick head of medium-length hair. I don't have any horrible problems with dry hair, even though mine is colored on a regular basis. I also get a body-wave about 3 times a year and so sometimes I just apply gel/mousse and scrunch it and go.
  • georgina131
    Options
    Just came across this thread and thought I'd just add that while I was doing my 30 day challenge my hair was FREAKING OUT because obviously all that heat, plus having to wash my hair absolutely every day was just drying it to a crisp.

I went crying to my hairdresser and she advised me to put some leave-in conditioner or oil in my hair before class -- it really worked miracles! The 90 minutes in the heat with the conditioner in really softened up my hair, and then I just shampooed it out afterwards. Give it a go and see if it works for you too! :smile:
  • jiabman
    jiabman Posts: 19
    Options
    I was just thinking of cutting off most of my hair...I think I will try the coconut oil and leave in conditioner first....I am so glad that you asked about this and thanks for all of the info! I have to wash my hair after each class. I keep asking them if something is wrong with me...I sweat SO much it is gross (but I love it).
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I pay a lot of money for keratine treatment and after 2 days straight hair is a little frizzy. I only wash my hair twice a week. I wonder what else I can apply without rising daily or washing it?
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I've just been washing my hair after each class and letting it air dry with a leave in conditioner. its only been 2 weeks and so far so good but i'm going to try and wash less but my hair is so soaking wet after each class that its hard not to.