Training for 5k/10k/Half Marathons/Full Marathons

Options
MMarvelous
MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
I am training for my first 10k! I have a 2012 goal to do (2) 10 k races and (10) 5k races. Is anyone else training? What training plans are you using - online, books, training groups, etc?

Replies

• sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am registering for my first 5K being held on May 19th. I'm not really following much of a plan. Right now I walk a quarter mile and then jog a quarter mile. I have issues with my ankles so I didn't want to put too much strain on them right now. Hopefully in another week or so I will be able to jog for a quarter and a half or more.

I have heard that there is a training program out there for 10Ks similar to Couch 2 5 K but I'm not sure where you would find it.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do C25K...couch to 5k. There are sites, apps etc. You basically do run/walk intervals and build up to running it all. I have a friend that does half marathon's as part of her work. She says run what you can and build from there. Add more each time.

This is the year I'd like to do my first 5k. I train by hopping on tread and do intervals. In the nice weather I will start working on outdoor running which is harder than treadmill.
  • newma6
    newma6 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What is the C25K...couch 2 5 K? I have heard lots of people talk about it!
  • MMarvelous
    Options
    The couch to 5k website is c25k.com. There is a Facebook page too.
  • MMarvelous
    Options
    I have done a 12 week training 5k program a year and a half ago. I wanted to train on my own for the 10k. I will see what the c25k program has.
  • deanadimples
    Options
    I have done a 12 week training 5k program a year and a half ago. I wanted to train on my own for the 10k. I will see what the c25k program has.

There is a C210k too.
  • ChristineLeary
    Options
    I've always wanted to do a 5K. Actually, I tried running/walking last summer and that was my plan. Then I remembered why I don't run! My knees were in so much pain! I really wish I could be a runner but I'll have to stick to walking. :)

Good luck with all the training folks.

Oh, btw, I use my Nike+ chip and iPod to track everything when I walk but it is actually better for runners! I love it! It's got training for just about anything you want on there too!
  • deanadimples
    Options
    When I first started my knees killed! I even asked the doctor about it. He said sometimes it's caused by a muscle strength imbalance. Course maybe the difference is today I run with 39 less lbs. lol

In any case, my knees give me no problems now. Actually, all my aches have pains have stopped. At first I thought there was no way I was going to get to a point where I could run. But little by little, I'm there! The trick is to not do too much, while also realizing that most of us can do WAY more than we ever thought we could.
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I officially signed up for my first one this morning. It supports the local humane society. I'm hoping to reach my small fundraising goal with my family and friends but either way I will donate that amount.

There's no turning back now!