Motivation tips

Options
This thread is all about motivation tips. Feel free to add any tips you may have to this thread.

Think slim
This tip is about that all-important moment: What do you experience just before you eat something? Do you tussle with yourself? “I really shouldn’t… but I want to!” Do you imagine how the food will taste, even feel in the mouth? Or do you focus on the real consequences, rather than the temporary satisfactions of eating?
People who are overweight tend to imagine how food is going to taste and feel as they eat. In contrast, people who naturally ‘eat slim’ tend to imagine how that pie or cake will feel heavy in their stomachs for so long after they’ve eaten it. Jumping from a great height might feel fun whilst it lasts, but the consequences that come after we hit the ground are what we consider when deciding not to do it.
So when you’re tempted to eat something you don’t need, practice imagining how your stomach is going to feel ten minutes or an hour after you’ve consumed that weight-increasing food. Keep it up until this becomes a natural habit for you.

Replies

• nahgem812
    Options
    I visualize a lot. I picture what I want my body to look like and it does motivate me.
  • jsenior1
    jsenior1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This thread is all about motivation tips. Feel free to add any tips you may have to this thread.

Think slim
    This tip is about that all-important moment: What do you experience just before you eat something? Do you tussle with yourself? “I really shouldn’t… but I want to!” Do you imagine how the food will taste, even feel in the mouth? Or do you focus on the real consequences, rather than the temporary satisfactions of eating?
    People who are overweight tend to imagine how food is going to taste and feel as they eat. In contrast, people who naturally ‘eat slim’ tend to imagine how that pie or cake will feel heavy in their stomachs for so long after they’ve eaten it. Jumping from a great height might feel fun whilst it lasts, but the consequences that come after we hit the ground are what we consider when deciding not to do it.
    So when you’re tempted to eat something you don’t need, practice imagining how your stomach is going to feel ten minutes or an hour after you’ve consumed that weight-increasing food. Keep it up until this becomes a natural habit for you.

Good advice! I imagine the model of the big blob of fat at the doctor's office...and tell myself that although the food looks good on the plate, it is going to look like that big blob of fat on me!!
  • I think my mind has finally matured, so I imagine how I am going to feel after I eat something that is fried or cheesy, and then most of the time I change my mind and eat the good stuff that I packed or planned. I think this is a hard place to reach by yourself and it may have been easier if my parents would have been good examples instead of the worst eaters I know.

I also try on my swimsuit about once a month, and keep a motivational quote on my bathroom mirror, so that I remember that it takes time and that all the weight I want to lose and how I want to look is not going to happen over night.

"Great things take time" and "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I'll look how you can't" - i kinda modified this one to suit my needs.
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    Good advice! I imagine the model of the big blob of fat at the doctor's office...and tell myself that although the food looks good on the plate, it is going to look like that big blob of fat on me!!

YUP that definitely does it for me!!!
  • alaska11
    Options
    "Great things take time" and "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I'll look how you can't" - i kinda modified this one to suit my needs.

I like it!!!
  • alaska11
    Options
    Eat when you’re hungry
    I know this sounds obvious, but eating sugary foods causes a subsequent crash in energy, leaving you wanting more sweetness. On the other hand, eating for slow energy release is a sustainable way to keep your weight loss motivation firing on all cylinders without you having to consciously think about it. For slow-release energy, eat protein with every meal alongside ‘good carbs’ such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans. This avoids the ‘crash and burn’ of sugar overdosing.
  • alaska11
    Options
    Weight loss motivation is all about desire rather than willpower. How much do you want to lose weight? How much more do you want to lose weight than you want to eat fattening food and lay on the sofa watching TV all day? List all your reasons for wanting to lose weight, or stay healthy and slim. Add more reasons to your list as you think of them. Make reading your list the first thing you do in the morning.