has anybody else noticed

Options
Hikaru37
Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
How rude and proper overreacting the American people are in the forums? D:
It is probably other nationalities as well like but
Almost every post I've read a yank starts on someone

Not even just a simple 'I disagree with you' but they proper flip over everything
Some woman got crucified (lul pun) before for referencing religion
Another woman proper patronised me the other day when I was only asking for advice on something
Somebody else once posted about how she worried about her brother cos he was overweight and the backlash she got was horrific

They even go off topic and rage! The post with religious connotations turned into people flipping because the OP didn't have kids and they felt she was judging them

I was sat there like WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE?

It's dead mad though because the people that have added me on this seem really nice and friendly and they're all supporty and comment on everything I do being all WELL DONEE

But stick them in a forum and bloody hell
Some certain people seem to comment on everything as well
Like they just sit at home waiting
Like 'ere we fookin go!'
Gearing up for a full on battle with strangers
Giggling to each other about taking other users on and how the MFP creator has given them warnings
Like they're cheeky ten year olds not middle aged o_0

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT DAMMIT
I THOUGHT THIS WAS A SUPPORT SITE
NOT ANCIENT TROLLS

Back to the semi American rant, they don't understand when I'm making a jokey flippant comment either
I've been raged on for making little quips that quite obviously were not supposed to be taken seriously

Why are they so silly? :(

Replies

• beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have felt the bite of some peoples tonges on here, I agree with some certain points you make regarding how people jump on the band wagon and try prevoke people etc, but whether they were american I dont know, I just think most of the time people are supportive on here as i always try to be, but i understand where your coming from, you have to read a few posts turned nasty to get the wrong impression
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Naturally I'm not just blaming it completely on Americanos, just the times I've clicked on the perpatrators profiles to see what gives them the right to be so high and mighty I've noted they're on the other side of le pond

Seems nearly every post I've read has turned nasty, it's quite sad that instead of being helpful most people are just using it as an opportunity to be rude >.<

I'm glad you agreed with some of my points, I probably shouldn't have said specifically American though :)
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The thread that sticks in my mind is the one started by a young woman saying how she thought America was going downhill and wanted to move to Canada. I was shocked by the venom in the responses from other Americans.
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In another forum I frequent it's the Britons who are argumentative to the dismay of the Americans.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of pointing out to someone that he shouldn't have posted the content of several private messages on the forums. He went bonkers!

The madder he got, the funnier it was, and the worse I made it with sarcasm, which I'm pretty sure he didn't 'get'.

:laugh:

Thread was nuked shortly thereafter as part of the major purge we saw a couple of months ago.

I still think it was funny and I'm really a bit sad that I don't have a copy of the thread for posterity.

I don't think it's proportionally Americans more than anyone else though; rather that the majority of members are American? (that's an assumption, but I don't think I'm wrong)
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Maria I'm not sure its an american thing, it maybe just that there are more americans on MFP than any other nationality. The phenomenon of cyber warriorrs or trolls are every where. I am on a football forum for the specific club I support and people are continually arguing and fighting over everything .. even when we win.

Of course,if you can manage to wind the warriors up by lighting the touch paper and standing back it can be good fun regardless of their nationality
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's nationality, you get that sort of behaviour in all sorts of forums.

I was reading through a thread on a UK Tech bulletin board last year and there was a blatant racist having a general rant about anyone who wasn't white, was a Paki, or was Polish, etc.

I taunted him about it and he rose to the bait very easily, he seemed to think because he was in the Army his view was the true English viewpoint, (Wtf ?), and he even got some supporters from people who thought I was being unpatriotic by debunking his ridiculous claims. I ran rings around him but he was too stupid to influence.

That's the internet for you I'm afraid - lowest common denominator is always present in the loudest volume. There are more Americans here then Brits so it only seems like they may be responsible. I have plenty of smart and rational US friends on Mfp.

I do take the other posters point about sarcasm though. Friends aside it does tend to go straight over the heads of most American posters.

:drinker:
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I too have noticed that so many posts turn nasty and once one starts....

When I first joined I was subject to a lot of abuse from a post I responded too about eating out in America...the OP basically was questioning how a person is supposed to lose weight when restaurants give you massive portions!! I basically said that I agreed and that on a holiday to America my hubby and I often felt that we were rushed with our eating and that everywhere seemed to be fast food instead of 'proper restuarants' lol well you can imagine the abuse that was hurled at me!! Then when I apologised and said that I didn't mean to overgeneralise I was only trying to support the OP...I had even more abuse hurled at me!!!! I'd been a member for about 2 days and the abuse really shook me (and I'm a very strong minded person!) from that point on I was careful what I said on this forum and now have a much more light hearted approach, but I know that if I had not been a strong minded person, that abuse could have been detrimental! Some individuals could be using the forum as a last resort and I do think it's unfortunate that so many of the posts do turn nasty. However thankfully there are also a lot of posts that have no malice in them at all, there should be more of them though! And yes I've noticed that Americans don't get the whole sarcasm thing, that does make me giggle! But I'm quite a sarcastic person and my hubby has been likened to Jimmy Carr....
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think some people are just plain rude regardless of nationality. I have a few american friends and they are all supportive and nice. I think sometimes (possibly) some people just don't get irony. I made a flippant remark about fake boobs and that really got people hot and bothered so I didn't bother commenting anymore on that thread as I CBA to explain it was jokey!! I think there are a few members on here that are just weird and have very odd viewpoints on the world!!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's "Americans are ruder"... I think it's just some times people have too much spare time on their hands or they are so stressed and rushed they get too touchy at little things.

England is also a slower pace life... lame excuse but I'm an American living in the UK on a visa (yay for marrying a British Sailor!) and it's alot more of a slow pace life over here... even in the cities! from my experience atleast :P

ofcourse this is all just my opinion....
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    half american myself although i never knew it until a few years ago ... but tbh i think its just that people get to caught up in it all and need to lighten up ... i never get an an answer when i post on the forums so no one was rude to me lol :)