Just need to rant...

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I am so frustrated with the arguments that result the minute someone on the “regular” forum mentions eating low carb. People seem to get angry anytime someone posts a question regarding reducing the number of carbs one eats.

I have decided to stop adding my two cents. All I do is explain my circumstances and my experiences with cutting carbs and I get personally attacked. I don’t get it. I just want to help others. I supposed this is how the scientists behind all the research must feel. I guess that’s why it is not as popular…. Because the opposition just makes people want to say “Okay, whatever, do what you want…. You keep counting calories and stay hungry all the time, while I’ll go be satiated with my lifestyle and still lose weight and have great biomarkers”. This is what I will be doing from now on. Screw it.

Replies

• demuralist
    demuralist Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can't go to the "regular" forums at all anymore, too frustrating.

I generally don't understand personal attacks on any forum (or blog for that matter) in which people are basically trying to help others. I basically think that when someone doesn't have a good back up or scientific reasoning to support their argument, they resort to personal attacks. sad really
  • KBGirts
    Options
    What also irritates me is that people are always saying "Show me scientific evidence.... blah, blah, blah" But when you post a scientific article they will argue its credibility.

So everyone's a freakin' scientist these days?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    ..i think it boils down to what people are willing to give up. they understand giving up sugary stuff..snacky foods..but once you tell them no pasta or bread...all hell breaks loose. i think its those who are still losing..and dont pay attention to any of their macros...just the number of calories..hence..they are eating right.

I have insulin resistance...so I know the right thing is to go low carb cause the way my body uses carbs..the more complex the better. that isnt to say on occasions I do breads and stuff...i choose gluten free..but its the whole 80/20 concept..most people dont get it
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    At least this isn't the Inquisition and we aren't forced to recant a la Galileo.

It's really hard for people to swallow that the conventional wisdom that has been accepted and touted for decades is exactly what they should not be doing. This lifestyle expects them to give up the foods they are addicted to. That notion can be very depressing. Denial is much easier to life with–ignorance is bliss and all those cliches.

I am fascinated with the internal struggles I have as I deprogram myself (Yes, it IS okay to eat the bacon! Don't hesitate! The bacon is good. Mmm, butter! Buy the cream for your coffee. No, not the fat free cream substitute laden with chemicals!)

So let them have their reindeer games. Ten years from now, I predict there will be changing tides.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    At least this isn't the Inquisition and we aren't forced to recant a la Galileo.

It's really hard for people to swallow that the conventional wisdom that has been accepted and touted for decades is exactly what they should not be doing. This lifestyle expects them to give up the foods they are addicted to. That notion can be very depressing. Denial is much easier to life with–ignorance is bliss and all those cliches.

I am fascinated with the internal struggles I have as I deprogram myself (Yes, it IS okay to eat the bacon! Don't hesitate! The bacon is good. Mmm, butter! Buy the cream for your coffee. No, not the fat free cream substitute laden with chemicals!)

So let them have their reindeer games. Ten years from now, I predict there will be changing tides.

You know, you are right. Even now after experiencing a change in myself, I still have a hard time telling myself that what I'm doing is okay.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If I hear "Calories in, Calories Out" one more time my head is going to explode...lol. If it was just that, I would be gaining weight, not losing. Ever try pasta without anything on it? It tastes like crap. Pasta is only the vehicle for the sauce.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I've decided to stop posting as well. People can eat however they want. And I'm going to eat however I want. If people want my advice they can ask me. Meanwhile I'm going to feel freaking great and get great results while they struggle.....
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh and you know what is worse? When it comes from your family!! How can cutting out grains be healthy? You can't possibly get enough fibre? Pfft how can eating bacon and leaving the fat on the meat be anything other than bad for you...

I have to say that my teenage kids have been so awesome, they still eat wholegrain bread, and have occasional snacks and biscuits which I am happy to do without, but even when they cook, they make sure it is 'primal' for me.

I had some family from out of town visit yesterday - they wanted to get takeaways. I cooked instead (which they loved), but they bought potato chips, corn chips and white bubbly wine (despite me telling them that I only drink red wine).

However, they loved the dinner, asked for the recipies, and could physically see the difference in me after 3.5 weeks.

I just let them eat their chips (I was not tempted) but had a glass of wine. Smiled and felt good about myself and my decision to make this change :) Grok on!!
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I take comfort from the fact that this is not a new fad. In "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes, He states in the introduction that the concept of a low carb diet was supported, tested and offered to people in the mid to late 1800's. It was also considered to be rational advice in the first part of the 1900's as well. It wasn't until the 50's that medical science took an about face and switched from saying that carbs were bad to saying that fat was bad.

I'm just starting to read this book, but I highly recommend it, along with Dr. Kurt Harris' blog, Archevore. http://www.archevore.com/archevore/

I've lost 28 lbs in 3 weeks following this advice!

Cheers and good luck!
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the sample of Good Calories Bad Calories for my Kindle and what I read so far was really interesting with the Banting story you mentioned. Planning on downloading the whole book when I figure out where I left my KIndle...
  • KMAMinx13
    KMAMinx13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Love. Gary. Taubes. He spells it out so well. Besides Neaderthin by Ray Audette, Gary's, Why we get fat and what to do about it, is probably my favorite Paleo tome.

Banting's story is excellent and so is Vilhjalmur Stefansson's story: http://drbass.com/stefansson1.html.

I too have become dismayed at the personal attacks allowed on myfitnesspal against low-carb and paleo/primal advocates. When people have to resort to gang attacks and childish name-calling to enforce their CW (conventional wisdow), it is the sign of a closed mind. I read a thread recently where a former member, Grokette, was attacked repeatedly by a small group of members and it appears that she has now left the forum. Sad.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yep I've pretty given up saying anything much on the public forums too, any attempt at an intelligent discussion about nutrition just ends up with people screaming that any diet that absolutely eliminates anything is wrong wrong wrong yada yada.

So yea I agree, let them go on with their way of doing things while we succeed. Success is the best revenge right? :bigsmile:
  • PBRfan2
    Options

So yea I agree, let them go on with their way of doing things while we succeed. Success is the best revenge right? :bigsmile:

Amen sister!!!! I'm stickin' with the Primal peeps! :happy:
  • Jenbtech
    Jenbtech Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pasta is only the vehicle for the sauce.

Awesome.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Pasta is only the vehicle for the sauce.

So true, just like pizza crust is purely a vehicle for the cheese. :ohwell:
  • kcmg0730
    Options
    I, too, have noticed a pretty fierce loyalty to the idea that low carb eating on the main forum, and to be honest, though I didn't like to slam anybody's food choices, I initially agreed with them. But then I read Escape the Diet trap by Dr John Briffa, and it just made sense. He gave lots of good, proven evidence about eating this way, and also assured me that this is not 'all or nothing' forever and ever...as long as I am eating whole nutritious foods the majority of the time, then I will remain healthy, AND lose weight if that's the goal. It made so much sense to me, and now I'm on day 5, and I can't imagine going back. I was so sceptical to start with, but I'm convinced now, not only because I feel so good, but also, I've lost 4 pounds that absolutely, positively were NOT shifting, no matter how much exercise I was doing, no matter how many calories I tried to eat. I have had a bit of sweet craving this week, but I'm pretty sure that will subside as I get a little further on, but that's been the extent of my 'side effects'.

I'm glad you guys are all here, and we can be supportive and non-judgy! :happy:
  • godslilgerl
    godslilgerl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i agree and i'm only on day 3...holy moly i posted that i was starting it and got ravaged geez....and actually looking at my breakfast (2 eggs,berries,3 slices bacon and 1/4 avocado) it was the healthy breakfast i have eaten in a long time...plus i knew that even though i was staying under my calories i was eating crap...i mean i could blow 300 calories on cheezits but was "healthy" cause i was under my calories. Actually its freeing knowing that i can go out to dinner and not have to just eat lettuce...can't wait to have a big juicy steak on my next outing =)
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to read all the posts about Oatmeal!! Man, there are a ton of them. I LOVE oatmeal, but if anything would set me up for a day of bad cravings, it was oatmeal.
  • GrokOn
    GrokOn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have stopped posting in the main forums also, because unless you are doing the mainstream dieting that everyone else is doing then they will have something negative to say if not an all out attack on you. My major problem is trying to explain it to family memebers or friends. They see my progress and ask what I am doing so it is unavoidable. If I tell them that I cut out all grains such as bread rice and corn. They automatically jump to the conclusion that I am on Atkins and only eat meat and no carbs and the commnt of " I tried that once and it was too hard to eat meat all the time." Then I tell them no that I eat tons of veggies. Then I get a puzzled look. So i tell them that I eat only natural foods that dont need to be cooked to be eaten kinda like a caveman would do. Another puzzled look comes, followed by "So, you must eat alot of beans because they are really good for you." by this time I am cringing and want to rip my hair out. I try to expalin that beans are not good for you and why, but they are not getting the point. At this point I usually give up on trying to explain, cause unlees you do the required reading you will not understand, or think that it is just some fad diet that is not healthy.