front squat/push press

Options
hurt anyone else's wrists? What did/do you do about it?

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Yes it did. I do not remember what I did....I am pretty sure I sucked it up LOL. sorry not very helpfull
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, it hurt my wrists and I could never get comfortable. I just sucked it up and didn't up the weight until the last time I had to do them.
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yup. could never get comfortable with this so haven't been able to increase weight on it. can barely do just the 45lb bar.
  • silvernswan
    silvernswan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did this for the first time today. Aside from feeling really uncoordinated, my wrists really really hurt too. I can't figure out where the bar was supposed to go - it hurt on *any* part of my shoulder or else ended up just about sitting on my collar bone. Gaahh.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yes! It does roll back to your collar bone! I had the worst trouble with this until I just trusted myself. Your fingers are BARELY under the bar, and it's resting high up on your front shoulders. It seems like you can't possibly hold it this way and do the move, but you can! Get your upper arms 90 degrees from your body, even if it feels like you are going to drop the bar. It does stretch your wrists a bit, but if you aren't trying so hard to keep your fingers under the bar, it isn't as bad. Trust yourself.

The bar will stay put at the base of your collarbone as you squat. Then, when you explode up, the bar comes forward and as you top out the move, suddenly it's solidly in your hands. It's totally cool when you finally figure it out. Keep trying! Good luck!
  • silvernswan
    silvernswan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ah. thanks for that jarrettd. I wanted to practice without the weight, but couldn't find a suitable bar/stick at the gym. I think I'll go home and practice with the broom!
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hate this move because it kills my wrists. The front squat when performed alone can be done by crossing one's arms over the chest. If you look at this video, the second guy is the one that performs the front squat using this particular adaptation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t8dIWKk_A

To be honest, I don't do these two moves together. I find them ineffective: 1) because it hurts my wrists and 2) I can squat a lot more and press a lot less. I'd rather take the extra 5 minutes to go hard on the squats (100+ lbs) and hard on the push press (45 lbs) than combine them and do neither effectively. That's just my opinion. While I love NROLFW there are certain modifications I make because I'd rather perform the harder move than lump the two together for the sake of efficiency.
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    thanks for this tip. today I broke it down into its components and it worked a lot better for me.