How do you log Bikram into your exercise diary?

Options
shano25
shano25 Posts: 233 Member
How many calories do you put in as having burned in a class. I was discussing this with my studio owner and he said if you're doing all of the poses to the best of your ability you can burn 900 calories. I don't know that I'm doing that, I do often have to take a rest during a few poses. So he said that I'm probably burning at least 500 calories.

How do your log your practice in exercise?

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I estimate 500 cals for 90 minutes and guess I'm on the conservative side with that. I'd rather not make the mistake of overestimating the calories I burn.
  • scardone
    Options
    I estimate in the 550 range. I am also too scared to overestimate...I really need to wear my HR monitor and find out an exact calorie count. I am just nervous it might beep in the class!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I estimate in the 550 range. I am also too scared to overestimate...I really need to wear my HR monitor and find out an exact calorie count. I am just nervous it might beep in the class!

"release!" ;)
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For a long time I gave myself 500 calories for class, and then dropped that to 400. If it was a class that I didn't exert myself much (either had to lay down a lot or had an injury that limited my exertion, or if the room just wasn't hot enough) I would give myself maybe 300.

I just wore a heart rate monitor in class last night for the first time and it said I burned 699; my nutritionist says that hrms overestimate during activities like yoga, but she's never done Bikram method ;). She recommended 500 calories as a more likely number. I'm still on the fence.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've been logging it as 400. I don't want to overestimate but I wonder if I'm too low. I guess that's better than being too high though.
  • teenes
    teenes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I log 400 calories for each 90 minute class. I have a consistent 4X week practice, so I've been told that my body may have adjusted to the heat/poses/exercise. I think 400 is a good number for me, esp since I actually gained weight in the last year, while doing Bikram every other day. When I plug my age/weight into online calculators, I usually get a number WAAYY higher than 400, but I think it's better to err on the low side.
  • Nina103
    Nina103 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use a polar heart rate monitor. I burn between 360 and 400 calories in a 90 minute class. (the higher calories is later in the day or with a few extra poses) I am 123 pounds, 52 years old and practice 4-5 times per week.