NROL4W & my body dont mix. now what? Please Help!

Options
i tried workout 1 the other day and was not sore afterwards (so i know i didnt lift TOO much) but ended up with the worst case of hemorrhoids i have ever experienced. I bet I could do some leg press work on a machine and be ok, but the squats, etc. with 40, 50, 60 + lbs is not something I am going to attempt again after researching what heavy lifting does to people with hemorrhoids. i cant lift heavy, period... at least not like they want you to with NROL4W. I am better off with lighter weights and higher reps and had been seeing results with that (looking more toned, and gained a few lbs that i hope are muscle). i have decided that I cant do this and need to stick with what keeps me ...not inflamed.

I am afraid to follow the recommended calories in the book since he wants you to be lifting serious loads (if not now, eventually). If I am not lifting that heavy do i need all of these calories?

I am still doing 40min- hour long strength training sessions 3 days a week, jillian dvds & spinning twice, and hiking on weekends, but need to stick with light weights/ high reps.

Should I still eat the recommended calories? for me its 1729 on non workout days, 1982 on active days, and 2236 on seriously active days. Or should I go back to the MFP auto program? what would you do in my situation?

thank you!!!!!

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're having these issues. If it were me, I'd find another program. You can lift weights in various ways and gain benefits without hurting yourself. Just try lifting as heavy as you can go without the repercussions. I wouldn't do light weight/more reps. How about a compromise - medium weight and medium reps. Do 8-12 reps instead of 15-20 or 4-6 with a weight that's not light or too heavy to lift. I wouldn't follow the calorie recommendations in the book unless you're following the program. However in general you will need to eat more calories on workout days to fuel your body and not lose any muscle. I know if you want to gain muscle you need to be eating at a surplus, I had a problem with this so I never ate more than maintenance during the program, which is why I never made any great gains. I am stronger for sure but I don't think I reaped all I could have because I was afraid of eating at a surplus. In fact I went back to eating at a deficit because I want to lose fat/inches.

Did any of that make sense? It seemed like I was rambling a bit, sorry.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Oh ouch. Did you have that problem before lifting? I would go see a doctor to h ave those taken care of....even more important if you ever want to have kids (I am assuming here)

Wow this is a hard question. Maybe muscles isolation is the best answer for you.
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i really appreciate you responding!!! You do make sense. moderate weight/ moderate reps sounds good too. So i am skinny fat. I've lost a lot of fat already over the past few years but have a lot more to lose, so i want fat loss to happen for sure. Do you think I should just go back to letting MFP tell me what to eat? ie 1200 calories? did you actually lose fat eating at the fat loss calorie level?

i suppose i'll have to play around with calories and see what happens if i increase/ decrease. or maybe eat at 1200 and only eat more if im feeling hungry ?

sighh...thank you very much for the support. its helps just to have someone listen!
  • riannenrings
    Options
    Oh ouch. Did you have that problem before lifting? I would go see a doctor to h ave those taken care of....even more important if you ever want to have kids (I am assuming here)

Wow this is a hard question. Maybe muscles isolation is the best answer for you.

omg i never even thought about childbirth!! thats not gonna be cute. C section for me!! :( i did have the problem before, i think from bad eating, too little water, no exercise, straining etc. but this time around its so much worse and from what i read, heavy lifting is just not a smart idea if you are prone.

ill research muscle isolation. thank you!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't follow the calorie recommendations in the book unless you're following the program.

I strongly disagree with this advice. As you get more fit, your body needs more calories, not less to sustain weight loss. I dis the program for 5/6 weeks and had to stop due to back issues.

I have continued on the Fat Loss Calories recommended in the book and have continued to consistently lose 1 lb per week.

Do not be afraid of food, it is fuel.
  • riannenrings
    Options
    I wouldn't follow the calorie recommendations in the book unless you're following the program. However in general you will need to eat more calories on workout days to fuel your body and not lose any muscle. I know if you want to gain muscle you need to be eating at a surplus, I had a problem with this so I never ate more than maintenance during the program, which is why I never made any great gains. I am stronger for sure but I don't think I reaped all I could have because I was afraid of eating at a surplus. In fact I went back to eating at a deficit because I want to lose fat/inches.

I strongly disagree with this advice. As you get more fit, your body needs more calories, not less to sustain weight loss. I dis the program for 5/6 weeks and had to stop due to back issues.

I have continued on the Fat Loss Calories recommended in the book and have continued to consistently lose 1weight lb per week.

Do not be afraid of food, it is fuel.

Thanks Lizzy...are you still doing any sort of weight training while continuing to eat the recommended calories? How long have you been off it? I am nervous as to what to do, because with the weight training that I was doing (light weight/ high rep) eating the calories NROL recommended, Ive actually gained 3 lbs since early Jan. I spent all of 2011 trying to eat what MFP recommended (1200) and lost nothing, so i dont really trust their system either, and also, I wasnt doing as much lifting then. i feel like i need to just set a moderate calorie goal that is higher than MFP recommendations and listen to my body as well as i can. if im hungry, ill eat. if not, after eating what's reasonable, i wont?
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I am still doing some strength training and cardio. I am not sure what to advise you. 1200 is not enough calories in most cases. I have been off New rules about 3/4 weeks now. I think it might be a good idea to do some more research on finding out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and eat at a more minor deficit (200-300 calories).