Aging changes in the bones - muscles - joints

Options
Weight training is an excellent way of combating several symptoms we all face as we get a little older.

Resistance exercise can reduce bone deterioration and build bone mass, preventing osteoporosis.

Working your muscles can also inhibit the affects of sarcopenia, the age related loss of muscle mass, strength and function. After the age of thirty there is a loss of 3-5% of muscle mass per decade, making day to day tasks gradually harder to perform and slowing down metabolism - increasing the risk of weight gain.

"How can weight training make me healthier?"

Recent research has shown that weight (or resistance) training can greatly reduce a number of health risks.

It has been proven to have a positive affect on insulin resistance, resting metabolism, blood pressure, body fat and gastrointestinal transit time, factors that are linked to illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

Replies

• Crystalkmoore
    Crystalkmoore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    After a serious accident that broke my femur, I had to learn to walk again. By that time I was 200lbs. Now I'm down to 137ish. I've just started my resistance training and I can tell the difference in my bones after just a couple of months. I didn't realize it would make such a difference.