Sharing a Blog I Posted This Morning

Options
Jipples
Jipples Posts: 663 Member
Hope this is ok.....

What Superbowl Sunday Taught Me
Posted on 02/06/2012 by Jipples

After three weeks of eating pretty healthily and dropping about 11 pounds, I figured what the hell, with having a large crew over for the superbowl and lots of different eats, I was going to just enjoy myself and not stress over what I was going to eat......no logging, no responsibilty. After all, I had been doing pretty well....I owed it to myself right?

Friends started showing up about 4:30. Well, about 8 to 12 beers later, after eating homemade queso, brisket sandwiches, hummus, bacon wrapped smoked sausage, stuffed french bread (with ground sausage, pepper jack cheese, jalapenos, provologne), this creamy spinach croissant thingy, and samplings of the other sweet treats we had.......aside from feeling like I was going to pop, I felt horrible. Both physically, and mentally. Physically I was feeling bloated, my stomach was churning, and was just feeling miserable. Mentally, I was questioning my decision to abandon what I set as my own catch phrase if you will......to 'take control and responsibilty'. Was this miserable feeling really what I owed myself?

So after a night of unrest from dealing with acid reflux from the greasy and spicy eats, as well as missing the workout I had planned for this morning, I decide to step on the scale, just to see what the damage was. How about a 5lb gain from what I was weighing sunday morning. Yep, I 'owed' myself 5lbs. Now, I know a lot of that was fluid, and after a couple of days of drinking plenty of water and eating clean again, I'll be back where I was. But, is that where I want to be after the work I've put in....back where I was? Had I stayed the course, I would have kept my workout and I would have likely lost maybe a pound or so over those upcoming couple of days....not get back to where I was.

The lesson: for my part, while it may work for some, I cannot have that spike/free day. It's not worth the feeling afterwards. I have to maintain control and responsibility, and to that end, while I'm not saying I'll never eat 'bad' again, when I do, it will be with a purpose and under control. It will not be a free for all. I've thought all morning about how I felt and I realized that to say I 'owed' myself this "treat", I was attaching a negative connotation to eating right......that by eating healthy, I was somehow enduring a miserable experience when in fact, the last three weeks have been the absolute best I've felt in a long time. What I owed to myself, was to actually do what was making me happy....making me feel good. I was proud, and envious, of those who logged yesterday and stayed under their caloric allowance.....I wish I was one of them. At the same time, I don't judge those who ate like I did. Different things work for different people.....all I can say is, I've learned my lesson.

Replies

• katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hey Jipples -

I enjoyed reading your post. You added humor to a subject that some of us can probably relate to.

Probably the biggest lesson I've learned since becoming an active MFP person is that people fall down some days, but the successful ones keep getting back on.

For the first two weeks of being here, my weight and diet teetered up and down. I had several good (well, decent) days mixed in with a few really bad ones but I logged each day as accurately, as possible. There were some days where I got completely discouraged and other days where I felt energy surges and motivated. I decided to keep checking in because, one, seeing what you're eating in written form is different than just thinking about it from time to time, and secondly, the support here is phenomenal.

Please don't let one bad day of eating completely defeat you. There will be many more days after, that you can jump back on track with yourself. You already seem to know this, so no need to beat the horse down.

Just please don't give up and stick with us. My friends are pretty darn supportive, so we're here for you!

~katie

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Great post! I notice the same. These days I feel crappy if I have too many bad things. I think I am going to keep my cheats to a meal. But nowadays I can't seem to fit i more than 600 calories in a single meal...so these binges are much much harder.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Great post! I notice the same. These days I feel crappy if I have too many bad things. I think I am going to keep my cheats to a meal. But nowadays I can't seem to fit i more than 600 calories in a single meal...so these binges are much much harder.
    I could not progress without my cheat day, or as we prefer to say in the scientific community: "RE-FEED THERAPY"
    I set aside one day per week where I eat about twice my daily goal, and once a month I set a day for a total food orgy where I eat like a man going to the electric chair for 24 hours.

I need that or none of this is worth it.

It's nice knowing I am never more than 7 days from eating anything I desire in whatever quantity I want.
    I'd go nuts otherwise and probably quit.
    The food Nazi's have argued with me the whole way, but my results speak for itself.

Life is to be lived, so ENJOY!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yeah bud, I get that. I just need to watch what I eat and just don't go crazy. The other night was a bit out of control.....for me.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I find my "over" days aren't as severe now because I hate how my body feels afterwards. However, if I really want something then I''m going to have it.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I find my "over" days aren't as severe now because I hate how my body feels afterwards. However, if I really want something then I''m going to have it.

I think this is a great balance. If I restrict myself too much, I inevitably end up eating stupid amounts of food. But the emotional and physical aftermath can be devastating. I'm all about moderation, planning treats, and not sweating the odd 100 calories over. This past week was brutal, but I'm determined to do better, and see that blasted scale move again.
  • SherNY
    SherNY Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this post. I know just what you mean! I think it is wise to indulge on a small scale now and then like Max said.deprivation all the time is no way to live.