alcohol with a new band.

Options
ok. so mardi gras is coming up and i plan on having some fun. some people prolly think im stupid, but hell! im only 20! lol. so my question is: disregarding calories, is there any danger in drinking 4 weeks post op no fill? i plan on staying within cal goal, im just wondering if maybe there is another reason i shouldnt be drinking. i want to go have fun but safety first, i suppose. and just to be clear: im not talking about fall on my *kitten* drunk or anything. and to those wondering about my age/safety, i will be with my family in a residial beach house. my sister will be my drinking partner. i swear its not as lame as it sounds. lol

Replies

• mamaholt80
    Options
    My doctor told me to wait 6 to 9 months after the surgery.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was told a year. I was young once, trust me. I did a lot of partying, but this is a rather serious thing you've done with the Band and with it comes a lot of responsibility. No soda, either, remember? Sorry to be such a downer!
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    did they tell you why you couldnt drink? and i havent touched a soda in over 7 months. :P
  • mamaholt80
    Options
    You should ask your doctor.Sounds like you weren't ready to make changes in your life.
    Don't you think it's too early for you to think about drinking?You just had surgery,you're in the healing process.
    If you made the decision to have the Lap Band you knew about all the "restrictions".
    I'm 32 years old,I like to party,but I made a commitment when I had my surgery, I wanted to change my life.Eating healthy,exercising and not drinking alcohol,I'm not saying I'm never going to drink again,but I'm going to do what my doctor told me to do so I can achieve my goal.
    Good Luck.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    Options
    You should ask your doctor.Sounds like you weren't ready to make changes in your life.
    Don't you think it's too early for you to think about drinking?You just had surgery,you're in the healing process.
    If you made the decision to have the Lap Band you knew about all the "restrictions".
    I'm 32 years old,I like to party,but I made a commitment when I had my surgery, I wanted to change my life.Eating healthy,exercising and not drinking alcohol,I'm not saying I'm never going to drink again,but I'm going to do what my doctor told me to do so I can achieve my goal.
    Good Luck.

this is my much simplified verson of my first response.

you should never presume to judge a person based on a few sentences. i just regret i gave that impression of myself.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I sincerely doubt that anyone in this group will give you the answer you really want to hear. All I can say is that it's your body and you have to live in it. You know what you doctors have told you; it's entirely your decision whether you choose to follow their directions or not. Keep in mind though that there will always be "something", (a party, a vacation, a special event, a date) to test your resolve in this journey. Here's hoping you make the best decision for you.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Exactly. ^
  • BandForAlyAnne
    Options
    ok.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    think about it this way...........you made the decision to be healthy, it took alot of time, and dedication to get to where you are now, and that is w/o a fill of your band, the 6 months prior are hell, you did a liquid diet beforehand I presume and you made it....sooooo then why on gods green earth would you want to screw it up and go back to your old ways? 20 years old or not, its an excuse, not a reason, you made the choice to alter your insides and you can make the choice to say &^%$ mardi gras and be safe and be healthy.....if you look at my pics you will see one of me with green lips, I USED to go out on st.pattys day, well I only did once and I am 35 years old and that one time was last year, and now since my surgery is 3 days before st pats this year, it was also my last. and I mean how realistic is it that you would actually stay within your cal goal, not only that most alcohol is carbonated unless you are drinking liquor w/o a soda (like rum and coke) its not realistic cause once you start to drink self control is easily forgotten as I am sure you know. I am not sure where you live as you are only 20, I am gonna guess canada, as I used to cross the border to drink when I was 19, lol....oh the lenghts we would go to.

I guess what I am saying is this, alcohol slows the healing process, and if you are already wanting to trick the band what are you going to do once it is filled? just think about it, is it worth it.??

ultimately you will decide to do what you want, and as someone else said you wont get the answer you WANT here, cause no one is going to tell you yeah go ahead and drink. It just isnt fathomable and just does not make sense.

Good luck in whatever you decide, you and only you have to live with the consequences if any.

Hugs
  • BandForAlyAnne
    Options
    so i was hoping this post would die, because im hating the judgement im getting. but i will say that i went to mardi gras, and i had fun because i never do anything. it was nice to not worry about anything for awhile. i called my dr and his office said that there wasnt a reason beside calories not to. i was only worried about my safety with the band. thats why i made this post. i hardly ever go out/ drink. i own up to everything i did tho. i drank. i went over goal by 98 calories. and i felt like crap the next day. but im glad i got it out of my system. because now i know what its like and it wont happen again anytime soon. i find that its when i completely deprive myself that i do badly. so was what i did the best choice for me physically? absolutly not. but was it the best thing for me to do mentally? i think so. im not saying everybody should do what i do. thats crazy. but i come here for friendly advice, not permission. i do what i believe whats best for me just like everybody else. i dont think that a post from somebody else should worry you all so much to the point that your almost upset in your responses. lets put it this way, im the only one who can suffer for my choices. i will make them and i believe i will succeed, but you may not. and thats ok. so i hope you guy understand what im trying to stay. i want these forums to be a place to talk to people, learn new things, and own up to choices. i wish i never started this post because i feel like it put a bad taste in everyones mouth. sorry. good luck to you all on your journey. :)
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt feel that way, I think I would feel the same however, as I can see why you may take some of the posts the wrong way. I am glad you got it out of your system, and I think that the anger you perceive is more of a concern for safety and health. after I replied to your post I researched and could find no reason other then the calories. I think too that some may have been thinking about the gastric bypass and drinking.

I think too that by doing it and feeling crappy you realizxed it was not the best thing

You will succceed as long as you believe you will, we all will. I just wish that sometimes it wasnt soooo damm hard.

and I do understand what you are trying to say and I was not angry more concerned, and I hope that you understand what we were trying to convey, concern, that is all, at least on my part, sometimes tough love isnt the best response I guess
  • lobang
    lobang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't see the previous posts as being judgemental. I think what everyone is saying is that you are an adult, you made your decision. The answer I would of gave you is ...........every dr. is different. Mine told me no carbonation. The reason being is that you have a small pouch, yes you do not have any fill in YET, but your stomach is still healing from your surgery. Carbonation can bubble up and cause irritation to where your band is. It can also cause irritation to your esphogus. Having to much carbonation can cause ulcers in band patients. Some band patients do drink sodas because they have found it doesn't bother them, some can't because of the fact they fill up with gas and it causes discomfort. That is the reason that I, if I DO drink, do so with only wine. I have had a couple of glasses. Christmas, which was 3 weeks after my surgery. and New Years. So I also did the same. I also want to be very careful that I don't fall into that trap of replacing one addiction with another. I had a good friend have gastric bypass and decided she couldn't eat, but she could drink.............she has been to rehab 2 times, is now divorced, and has lost her job. Its very sad. So don't take the other posts as being judgemental, people were just putting in their two cents. No one is going to take away your birthday because you drank. We all have moments of weakness or we wouldn't be on a weight loss website. We are here though because we all care enough to do something about it and are here for support. So your question got answers that reinforce why you SHOULDN"T not couldn't the same as if I made a post about .......HELP, bad day and that cheesecake in the fridge is calling my name.......why shouldn't I eat it? what would you tell me? Everyone just wants to help, not be critical!
  • BandForAlyAnne
    Options
    ok. i feel a little better now. and i didnt have and carbonated drinks. never cared for beer. : / and i know thats you guys prolly werent being judgy, it just felt that way to me. and i have no worrys of falling of the band wagon. im in this for life. and logang, im sry to hear about your friend thats unfortunate. i cant imagine that. but im only a social drinker. so im not worried... since im not very social. lol. but thx for a positive response to my post guys. i didnt know if you would understand what i meant.