new to the group

Options
Hello ladies! I found the site after I hit rock bottom, having gained around 25 pounds in 6 months. After a week I'm having some success and so happy.

I think a big part of my problem is peri-menopause. I was always one of those people who lost weight easily and was slow to gain. Boy has that changed! And my appetite... gosh! It's awful. I've had job stress as well (new job, state employee, worries about security).

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 46 year old single mother of two, recent empty nester, psychologist working with individuals with developmental disabilities. I'm looking forward to being part of the group, and so glad you're here.

Anne
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mrsyarnlady
    Options
    Hi I just joined the group and Hear Ya about the "where is this weight coming from" thing ! I know they told me weight gain is one of the issues with perimeno but jeepers .... it seems I gain from dreaming about brownies LOL.
    Nice to meet you.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Welcome newbies!!! :-)
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome ladies!
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi

Know where you're coming from.

I was 'lucky' as I had to give up wheat when I discovered I was intolerant to it. The first 14lb fell off me, just stuck with fighting to lose the other 14lb LOL.

There are bad weeks, even worse weeks but always good weeks :laugh: .

I found reducing carbs such as rice & potato helps (I can't eat pasta obviously). I replaced the carbs with huge piles of veg so I still get carbs but in a form my body seems to cope better with.

And I still let myself eat chocolate, just in moderation. :wink:
  • nicholss1
    Options
    Welcome fellow crones!!!! Do you believe when this menopause reaches its ends our technical term is Crone! It just gets better and better. I had a lovely weight gain of about 15kg, I gave up smoking too right smack bang in the middle of menopause, nearly lost everyone I love in the world with my swinging moods. I am pleased to say that I can actually start seeing some light after 8 months and some people may even refer to me as human again. I have been on MFP for two weeks but have not lost anything, I have logged everything I have eaten and I am starting to understand where I am going wrong with my eating, I love this sight and I know when I am truly ready to start shifting this weight that MFP will be there for me, in the mean time I am learning heaps. Hope your journey is a great one :flowerforyou:
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have never had a weight problem till I went into menopause. The other day I was telling the doctor that I'm depressed, hungry all the time, no energy and have sleeping issues. She wrote out a script for an antidepressant. I'm NOT feeling better.....
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have never had a weight problem till I went into menopause. The other day I was telling the doctor that I'm depressed, hungry all the time, no energy and have sleeping issues. She wrote out a script for an antidepressant. I'm NOT feeling better.....
    Antidepressants take up to 6 weeks in your system to notice improvement. Don't give up!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    I think we are always in a state of change. If it isn't one thing it's another.

I'm on the other side of menopause, and loving my serenity. It is definitely something that needs to be examined and dealt with, from many angles..

We will never be younger. Just better.

Welcome to our little group :flowerforyou:
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all, I'm new to group and new to myfitnesspal. I lost weight easily in my 20's and 30's but the 40's - - whole 'nother story! Now I'm 50 and feeling like I need the support of others in my situation. Glad to find this group!!!!
  • Annec0911
    Options
    Welcome ChicPeach...I'm in the same boat !
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to myfitnesspal. And this looks like a great group. I'm 49 and getting desperate. I started peri-menopause about 3 years ago. It started with heart palpitations, asthma and constant break outs. And, of course, I started having trouble remembering things. Then the weight gain started. Never have I had such food cravings. I've put on 40 pounds since it all began. And now I am insulin resistant. I've had a fitbit for 2 years and that has motivated me to get moving and exercise but I obviously need help with the food. I've been trying to increase my progesterone through food and as long as I don't eat sweets and "bad" carbs I am able to stay on track and control the cravings. Over the holiday's I fell off the wagon and am struggling to get back on. This site looks like a dream come true and I am so motivated now!
  • Annec0911
    Options
    Welcome Bimpski....great that you're feeling fired up!
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Im new to the group, was interested when I saw there may be other women on here with partial hysterectomy? Im not going through menopause but I do have unique "issues" with having had a emergency c section with the birth of my son and then an emergency removal of my uterus. This happened 5 yrs ago in April. I still have a monthly cycle and even occasionally bleeding... with no uterus, I know weird. Doc says maybe I have a few uterine cells left on the wall that could cause bleeding...Anyways any other women go through any of this?
  • justfungrandma
    justfungrandma Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi! I joined the group hoping that some are also post-hysterectomy. I am 53 years old and had a supracervical hysterectomy this past September. I was so afraid of gaining alot of weight after the surgery! I did gain a little, but starting on Dec. 24th, we bought an elliptical and I got very serious about getting in shape and staying there! I lost 12 lbs and literally I am in the best shape since I was in my 20's. I also am an avid fan of the P90X workouts. Give me a shout or add me! I would love to form a support system of 50 somethings.
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    HI Ladies

I joined about a month ago and am enjoying being part of MFP .
    I had a Total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy about 8 years ago and in this time my weight has been creeping up.
    I weigh 35lbs more than I did before the op, I know weight changes with age and I am less active now as I also have nerve damage which limits me .
    I wish I could be in my 20's again when i could eat and drink what I liked and still be slim and firm ....Oh well back to reality .
    Feel free to add me . I swear this is the only moaning I will do .ONWARDS AND UPWARDS FROM HERE :o)