WELCOME

Options
To all the new members welcome. Click on the new reply button & introduce yourself. Why'd you join our group? How are you doing with exercise? Need support from others? When you let others get to know you, someone will have things in common with you & answer your post & become your friend! You can encourage each other as you travel on this weight loss journey. Pretty cool, eh?

CrochetBug65

Replies

• GardenBarb
    Options
    I just ran across this site and decided to join. I intend to join Weight Watchers on Tuesday and get going with the treadmill. I live in Oregon and this is our cold & rainy season. I feel like a blob, am eating lots of bad stuff, and my BP is elevated. I know I really need to do this! Have a group of longtime friends visiting in July, and we play some sports. I want to look and feel much better by then. I have a food problem though - I get into denial and can talk myself into eating so easily!
  • otherwyse
    otherwyse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just joined, though I'll have to admit, I don't really consider myself a senior!! However, I'm a young 62, exercise, eat right, but tend to OVEREAT ... I love everything about food from planning menus to sitting down to eat with my husband! I love to cook and bake. If I didn't exercise, I'd be big as a house!!

I hate prepackaged anything preferring to cook from scratch. Anything I happen to purchase in a box/can won't have more than six ingredients and I will be able to pronounce each ingredient and know what it is.

No medical issues short of some arthritis in my thumb and big toe ... aside from that ... I eat heart-healthy most of the time. I do love ice cream!!!
  • JanuaryJan
    Options
    I'm Janice - and I'm married with 3 grown sons, 2 of whom are getting married this year. I just turned 56 and though my body *says* 56, my mind still tells me I'm 30! I live in the northeast foothills of Colorado for the last 12 years. I'm originally from Connecticut.
    I joined this group because I know that it's easier to stick to a resolve with a group when they can understand better the challenges we all face. Glad to be here!
  • Lindacharp
    Options
    I'm Linda

I was sent here by a friend in diet talk. I need to lose weight and i'm willing to try anything. Today I had a good day according to the food planner i'm under my alotted calories and after this post it's bedtime so safe to say I had a good day. Looking for friends in here.
  • ellierose4
    Options
    Thanks for letting me join your group!!! :) I'm so excited to have some help in this journey that started many years ago. It seems I got off track after my 65 pound wiight loss and need some motivation to continue. I want to be healthy and live many more years for my family.
  • ellierose4
    Options
    Hi-- I am a life time member of weight watchers and it is a great program!!! I think you will love it and I wish you much luck!! Just stay focused and you will be surprised how quickly the pounds come off. Be sure to let me know how you do.
  • ellierose4
    Options
    I agree that groups help motivate and keep us on track. I wish you good luck and look forward to hearing more from you :)
  • msdizliz
    msdizliz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    new to group 58 and on a mission to get healthy for myself and my family. Started on the 17 day diet and joined a gym. My weight has steadily gone up over the years. With a lot of stress in my life and a lot of bad eating habits. Got a wake up call after some blood work done and my glucose levels high. New l was on my way to being diabetic if l didn't do something and quit eating all the sweets and drinking soda.
  • mreko2005
    Options
    Hi, y'all. I'm 58 (going on 10) and, unfortunately, have MORE than just a few pounds to lose. I have been confined to a hospital bed/wheelchair since 1990 and, over the course of 20 years, have gained over 150 pounds due to over-eating, medications and lack of exercise. I am now determined to lose the weight because I don't want to be buried in a piano crate. It will be great to have others for support and advice.
  • pumperlady
    pumperlady Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    glad to see a group for seniors! i am 68 and diabetic. i have lost 34 lbs. with 22 to go. my glucose levels have gone way down and insulin dose decreased by 10 units! i have a hard time exercising due to physical limitations but do some walking. unfortunately the weather in Wisconsin isn't always good for taking a walk. i am so glad to meet all of you!
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Sherry. I am at my heaviest with good ol Menopause. I don't like the squareness of my body, or the stomach area. I am 57 and don't know how I let myself get like this. I guess in my head I am still 25 so I must still look 25 amazing how you can look in the mirror everyday and not see the real you. My goal is to be around a long time for my 2 kids and my grandson who is now 3 and his sister who is due first part of April.

I did WW for a while a few years back, and I find that this site is just as good, I can weigh myself and get motivated here and the numbers are in my face all day every day.

Good Luck Ladies
  • jlynwhet
    jlynwhet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! I joined MFP last Monday and joined this group a couple of days after. I am 64...turning official Medicare age next month...blah! As a wise woman once told me many times..."gettin' old ain't for sissies!" That was my mother who passed away last March at 87, and she was right. I lost about 50 lbs on WW a few years ago and have regained it all since my husband was diagnosed and passed awy from cancer in 2007 and taking care of my mother in my home until her passing last year. I finally have my feet back under me again and am trying to get back on track. I have felt very welcomed by the people using the site and people in this group. We are unique in that we know it will be more difficult for us to shed our weight and a lot of us are facing aging health issues for the first time. Accountability for what I eat (tracking) and support help me a lot. I am also still working full time to support myself. I look forward to retirement...should it ever arrive. LOL
  • scsgaras
    scsgaras Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Ya'll...I live in Fort Lauderdale and have been semi-retired for a few years but now am completely retired.... I will be turning 65 in April but feel about 35. I have a great husband, 2 wonderful grown kids, along with 3 grand kids and 3 grand dogs.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks is that my husband doesn't gain weight and if he does, he loses it immediately. We eat out almost every day for at least 1 meal. I really don't like to cook anymore but love to bake - not a good idea for dieting, huh?

I really don't have too many medical issues but the worst one regarding food is acid reflux. It limits what I can eat. If you've ever had it you will know there are to be no fried foods, chocolates, sodas, acidy items (like tomatoes or citrus) -- you'd think I'd be as thin as a rail - not so. I love my sweets and do, of couse, cheat -- a lot! Luckily, I really don't like fried foods except french fries on occasion. When the reflux kicks in, the only thing that calms it (along with my meds) are carbs (I think I'm addicted) and ice cream.

My dad died from diabetes and I worry about too many sweets as well, since that's my biggest downfall. I do have high cholesterol and I think if I start eating better it'll go down a bit. I work out with weights each day and am on an eliptical machine for at least 25-30 minutes 5 days/week. One day a week I have a personal trainer. I also had rotator cuff surgery almost 1 year ago which has slowed my exercise down a bit.

I am a life member of Weight Watchers but don't like to go to meetings and their website is very cumbersome. I am hoping along with you all as my friends this will work better.

Thx for listening to me ramble...hope some of you will become my friends and maybe if you live near Ft. Lauderdale, we can meet sometime.

:glasses:
    Suzanne
  • CrochetBug65
    Options
    That's something all of us can do...get into denial :sad: Then we eat all kinds of bad things and regret it :brokenheart: I know; been there too. But since my daughter showed me this site, I've lost 5 lbs, have been exercising & eating great! :blushing: I read about all the member on the message boards who are eating asparagus & how delish it is. Most said they bake it so I looked it up on the net & baked it for dinner this evening. They were right...It is delicious! Best meal I've had in years. :drinker:

Glad to hear you're joining W/W but don't forget to check in with us for some encouragement. We need it too!

I'm in WA near Seattle so I know what the weather is like in Oregon. We have another member in Oregon too.

You have a great day & keep up the good work. Starting is the hardest part & you've done that :happy:
  • CrochetBug65
    Options
    You didn't ramble anymore than I do! I absolutely love those little personality smilies as you can see in my posts :flowerforyou: I'm from Western WA just outside of Seattle in Renton. Had a personal issue come up a couple days ago & took it out on my body...eat, eat, & eat again. :sad: Probably put some of the 5 lbs lost back on but that's not going to stop me. :noway:

Tomorrow is laundry day so will be busy with that & getting back on track eating.

You keep up the good work & I'll start over & we'll be ok :happy:
This discussion has been closed.