NOT EXERCISING?

Options
Are you a retired senior citizen age 55 or over or just an elderly citizen who hasn't been exercizing the way you should?

Let us know why you don't exercise. Share your insight to exercising & we'll all help support each other.

Let us know who you are and where you're from & join in our discussion. Better yet, start a new discussion if you prefer.

One of my problems with not exercising is the weather. It rains a lot in Western WA & that makes it difficult for me to want to go out & walk.

What's your reason: TV? Computer? Videos? Hobby? Let's discuss it & see if we can come up with a plan to help up begin to excercise & stop doing so many "fun" things"

Thanks,

Judy

Replies

• chesterdogmine
    chesterdogmine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a 57 hr old male that is semi retired. I live in a small town about 70 miles west of Houston Texas. My exercising is inconsistent to say the least. At times I will get very devoted to it and then I will stop for days at a time. Last year I was doing pretty good trying to get ready for my first ever 5K and then I hurt my knee which required surgery. Well that put me back a bit but I used it as an excuse to not do anything. I gained about 30 lbs.

Exercising is hard work, especially as I get older. I am a lazy person. I really don't like running (I think it is putting a lot of compression shock to my lower joints). I also don't have a lot of stamina for jogging. I live out in the country and really have no reason to not get out and do something--- I am just LAZY, period.
  • krokker68
    Options
    I'm just one week into this with support from my daughter who is 26. I am 62 and have gradually gained about 40 pounds since she was born. I'm sick and tired of it. She put me on to myfitnesspal to track my eating. It works great and I have lost 5 pounds in the past 8 days but I 'm sure that will not be the normal pace but I'm determined to get this weight off and keep it off. She is also a Beach Body coach and I ordered their workout program for seniors call Slim in 6. The idea is to lose 25 pounds in 6 weeks following the most strict diet and exercise program but there are other less strict options. I start the DVD's today. 3 of them, each for 2 weeks. She also started me on Shakeology which is a nutrient rich supplement, Chocolate-which i love, to start my day. It is filling and I don't find myself craving food mid morning and afternoon. I'll let you know how this goes. Guys are using these products as well. The exercises are low impact and use resistance training-more effort, less time and easy to do in your own place.
  • grannymayer
    Options
    I'm a 60 year old female on the East Coast. Maryland. I walk most days for at least 30 minutes to 1 hr. If the weather is bad I will shorten the walk. I should say my dog takes me for a walk so the pace is fairly good with too many stops. I need to establish a habit, routine to do some strength training. Losts of workout videos on net. Just don't seem to get to them. I need to set a time and not let anything keep me from it.
  • mrdgk73
    Options
    Exercising is not my favorite thing, but know I need to do it. Tried the bike...boring! Work at a motel that has a swimming pool and hot tub. Several months ago I started doing water aerobics and love it! Much easier on this "aging" body!
  • JanuaryJan
    Options
    I love water aerobics but the only classes that are near me are at 8:30 PM (I work full time). By that time I am ready for bed! I just turned 56 years old, and have two sons getting married later this year. I bought a fitbit (www.fitbit.com) and have found that to be motivating me to make the extra effort to take more steps, use the stairs and just keep moving. No formal exercise plan, just MOVE instead of plopping myself in my recliner in front of the TV after work. I've lost 5 lbs since last Wednesday. But getting older isn't for sissies! (as my mom used to tell me) After going through menopause my body changed so much I don't even recognize me anymore. :( I have a belly I never used to have before and my energy levels have hit the bottom. My body doesn't respond to dieting and exercise the way it used to. Well - it DOES respond - usually with a "STOP THAT!!" :ohwell: :wink: But the weight kind of likes to stick to me these days so it's going to take a lot of perserverance and self denial. I'm glad to find a group that understands what we are dealing with at this time of life!! :smile:
  • GenieM0119
    GenieM0119 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 yrs old, and I just seemed to be tired all the time. Can't seem to get my strength together and I also lack the motivation. I think I need a boost.
  • chesterdogmine
    chesterdogmine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Get out a here!!!!!!L. You don't look 62! Wow. You have taken very good care of yourself.
  • jlynwhet
    jlynwhet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten into the exercise habit and I feel its probably too late now to begin, at age 64. I do like to walk and I used to love to swim, but that would require an expensive gym membership I can't do at this time. Walking? I will do it in good weather but too often use the excuse that its too cold, too hot, too wet, too snowy. Bottom line....I just don't like to exercise on schedule. I know I need to get myself moving more. I do some walking and stair climbing at work even though I have a sedentary desk/computer job, but not enough. I know I would feel better if I did more, but I'm also lazy.
  • mreko2005
    Options
    Exercise? I'm confined to bed about 22 hours a day so the only exercise I get is transferring into and out of my wheelchair to feed my pets, use the bathroom and pop dinner into the microwave. Seriously started weighing ounces, counting calories, carbs, fats and proteins 8 day ago and, for my first weigh-in yesterday, I had GAINED 4 pounds. I take it exercise in some form is necessary to lose weight?
  • CrochetBug65
    Options
    Anyone tried Google & type in exercise videos for senior citizens? I did & found Jane Fonda's new video for seniors & played a clip from the video. It looks doable for me & I have an artificial joint in one knee. Just might not be able to kick that leg up as high.:laugh:

Anyway I ordered one for $9.99 + $2 S&H & should receive it in 10-12 days. I'll let you all know how it goes once I start. Something to think about when it's raining out & too cold to want to walk.

Let me know what you think about an exercise video.

Anyone having trouble getting around MFP site? If so, feel free to ask for help & we'll do our best to see what we can do to help.

:flowerforyou: Enjoy the day & keep up the good everyone.
  • Lindacharp
    Options
    I like to go to u tube and do the zumba or line dancing or just dancing I love to dance and don't need a partner.

For the lady in the wheelchair there has to be some movement like touching your toes or bend as far as you can well that's without tipping your chair. Just stretches like reaching for the ceiling. Anykind of moving more than you are doing will help.

Good luck all.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    LEt me know hoe it goes. I keep 2 grandbabies so it is hard to motivate myself. I love to dance holding them, and thats not much exercise.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    You are not lazy. Lazy is not working , not doing anything and you certainly do not fit in that category. GOOD LUCK
  • nannabannana
    Options
    You are doing great. Don't put yourself down. Anyhow I think you are an inspiration and you are funny too.
  • msdizliz
    msdizliz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What kind of diet are you doing? Are you drinking plenty of water? I am doing the 17 day diet plan which has cycles that you do for 17 days on each one. I am on day 15 cycle 1 and so far am down 10lbs. Don't let the scales discourage you! Check online for exercises there are lots of videos. You might want to check out you tube. Good Luck.
  • scsgaras
    scsgaras Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 64, almost 65. My husband and I moved into a condo and now have no excuse for not exercising, as there is a full gym for our use almost anytime.

I must admit, I really don't like exercising but I know if I don't I'll "fall apart". :smile: So, each day for 6 mornings, we are up in the gym at 6am. 30 minutes on the elliptical machine and 30 minutes mixed exercises with weights and without. We alternate walking until the weather becomes too hot.

As I'm new here, I sure hope I see the little lady bug head on down the scale sooner than I'd like...and I hope the exercising helps. I look for support from all of you and will do my best to do the same!!

Happy exercising!! :glasses:

17386342.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter