Free downloadable RPGs/MMOs/etc

Options
Sidesteal
Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
Figured I'd ask the MFPeople:

Do any of you have a favorite free/downloadable games?

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm dabbling with LotR online.....again.......it's not cutting edge, but I like the atmosphere.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I started with Runescape as a free user, but ended up feeling constricted by all the things the free accounts couldn't do (I was in junior high/high school and didn't have any way to pay for a subscription).

Now I play Dungeons & Dragons Online, which has a fairly huge selection of quests for all levels, and you don't have to pay for anything. Of course, you can purchase extras if you want them, and people have given me gift cards to do just that. My guildies and I are casual players--we do it for fun and for the opportunity to chat with each other while relieving stress.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Isn't Eve free?!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Star Trek is free to play now by the way!
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Amusingly.... the ad at the side of this thread was for one of those browser-type MMOs :laugh: and the one at the top is for DDO!!

Didn't fallen earth go ftp as well?

For a decent sort-of rpg that'll while away a few minutes/hours/moments there's desktop dungeons: http://www.desktopdungeons.net/?page_id=11 It's quite a good time-waster.

If you're interested in cheap & old, check out www.gog.com. I can thoroughly, without reservation, recommend planescape torment - one of the best single player rpg's ever. Brilliant storyline, fantastic world setting. Plus they often have sales, dropping the prices of games to around $2 or so.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm a LotRO addict. It's f2p if you're not into the end-game raiding side of MMOs, otherwise it's $9.99/month, which really isn't bad at all.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I just now realized I should add... you can play end-game and raids without paying a cent for the game, but it'll just be a crazy grind to get enough "points" to "buy" the packs without paying. But, I do raid with people who have done it...
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've been casually playing on the Everquest private server Project 1999. It's pretty awesome, totally brings me back to the good old days. Regular EQ released "progression servers" but they cost money and are too "easy". The only bad part about P99 is the graphics are old style. They are on the Kunark expansion and are strictly against Luclin so the new character models will probably never show up. It's ok tho, you get used to it =)
  • jmason66
    Options
    I'm addicted to Lord of the Rings Online. I joined when it went FTP and played completely free for about six months, then subscribed to VIP. A few kinmates are still FTP, though, and one has leveled to high 60's without ever paying a cent. He has to do a lot of grinding, though...still, he's proof that it *is* possible!
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been casually playing on the Everquest private server Project 1999. It's pretty awesome, totally brings me back to the good old days. Regular EQ released "progression servers" but they cost money and are too "easy". The only bad part about P99 is the graphics are old style. They are on the Kunark expansion and are strictly against Luclin so the new character models will probably never show up. It's ok tho, you get used to it =)
    I started playing on this server too a couple of weeks ago :smile: . I saw a link for it and decided to give it a whirl since TOR was starting to bore me already. There are a lot of nice people around and the community seems great so far (I'm a level 11 enchanter currently). After continually searching for that next great game that could rival my experiences with EQ, maybe I just needed to go back to the game that I enjoyed the most!

Sony changed their mind about closing the EQMac server and decided to keep it running and make it free to play. That one is only at PoP era, so I might try that out too if I can get it to run on my PC. I probably spent the most time playing around the Luclin / PoP times, so I think this server could be really fun too (and it's officially run by Sony and will be free soon, if not already)