Light Weight Women's Backpack and Health Food Options

Options
Rav3nfan
Rav3nfan Posts: 24 Member
I am going on a week long backpacking trip and am looking for suggestions on light weight packs as well as any healthy food suggestions. Thanks.

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I got a new lightweight pack last year and absolutely love it. It's not minimal like some of the GoLite packs are, but it's pretty darn light. It is the Osprey Ariel. If you are looking for truly minimal packs, look at the GoLite packs.
  • trlrnrgrl
    Options
    I think the best thing is to go try on several packs if you can. Everyone's different, so what one person loves doesn't fit right on the next person. I tried the REI Flash (65 I think), which got great reviews and won an award, and really didn't like it. I wanted to like it, but it hurt my back and was just a tad too flimsy, so it felt like it made my back carry too much of the weight, rather than the pack helping to carry the weight, if that makes any sense. It felt like I'd just slung a duffle bag on my back.

I just recently decided on trying the women's Deuter ACT, which is about 1 pound heavier than the true "ultralight" packs. It's just shy of 4 lbs, whereas the Flash was almost 1 lb lighter. I'll be trying it out in about a month for the first time, and I'm excited to try it out. I'm doing a short 3 day trip so I can test it out for a longer trip in the fall.

Healthy food suggestions - I dunno on that one. I'm SUPER lazy when it comes to camp food. I hate cooking at home, so there's no way I'm cooking on the trail, on my fun time. However, I do still try to eat as healthy as possible. I love Mary Jane's Farm dehydrated foods for dinner - they are delicious, and there are a few that don't have tons of calories and fat. I especially love the chilimac. But for breakfast and lunch, I end up taking clif bars, pumpkin seeds and soy nuts, dried fruit, Justin's almond butter packets, whole wheat crackers or tortillas, cheese, all that sort of thing.

But if you don't mind cooking on the trail, then the possibilities are endless for healthy options. I'm always seeing delicious looking recipes in Backpacking mag that are fairly healthy, using whole grains, nut butters, nuts, dried fruits, and dehydrated things (like milk, cocoa, etc).

I'd be interested in hearing in what other people eat (healthy) on the trail, too!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have backpacked for several years and the best backpack I have owned is my current one. It is made by Gregory and is called the Deva, it is very comfortable and there are many storage pockets. I have the 70 liter version and have used it for a week long trip. I agree with a previous poster you should go and try several on and see how they fit you, if you go to an REI store they will ever put weights in the pack for you to get a better feel for it. Be careful on going extra light on a pack in my experience they are not made as tough and are uncomfortable. Here is a link to the Gregory Deva if you are interested:

http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/womens/technical/39/deva-70

As far as food, I usually eat the Mountain House dehydrated meals for trips longer than one night. The packaging is small, lightweight, and you only need hot water. They are very high in sodium but I drink excess water backpacking anyways.
  • trail_rnr
    Options
    Oh, and food...if you have a dehydrator (or access to one) you can make some pretty awesome food. I seem to gravitate to the recipes in a book called "Lip Smackin' Vegetarian Backpackin'". I'm not a vegetarian but the stuff in this book is GOOD! You don't need a dehydrator for everything. Here is my favorite recipe from the book.

Kilauea Chili

At Home:
    1.2 c Uncle Ben's instant brown rice
    1 c (2.4 oz) Fantastic Foods Cha-Cha chili
    1/4 c dried corn
    1/4 c dried tomato
    1 teaspoon chili powder (I use HOT Indian chili powder)
    1/4 tsp lemon powder (I use dried lemon zest)
    1/8 tsp of garlic powder

Place dry ingredients into a quart size ziplock freezer bag.

On the Trail:
    For 1 serving, bring 1 3/4 c water to a boil. Carefully pour the hot water into the bag and let it stand for 8-10 minutes, kneading occasionally to ensure that all ingredients are evenly hydrated. Serve straight from the bag.

Delicious! You can usually get dried veggies from you r local health food store (Whole Foods has them too).
  • HikerLiz
    HikerLiz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find myself buying more backpacking food at the grocery store these days. Dehydrated hummous is a good snack, and dehydrated refried beans are tasty (usually in the health food section - Fantastic is one brand). We usually bring tortillas and a small container of salsa for bean burritos. And of course there's always the classic: ramen plus vegetable soup mix.
  • trlrnrgrl
    Options
    This is awesome - I didn't know you can just use ziploc freezer bags and pour boiling water in it. That's what I love about the store bought dehydrated meals - there's no clean up, no mess. I'm definitely going to try TrlRnr's chili and the dehydrated hummus and refrieds, too. Thanks for these ideas.

Oh, by the way, if you're a coffee drinker, Starbucks Via are awesome for backpacking.
  • trail_rnr
    Options
    Oh, by the way, if you're a coffee drinker, Starbucks Via are awesome for backpacking.
    These lightened my load considerably last year. LOVE them!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    these websites have great recipes with things you can buy at the grocery store:

wild backpacker and one pot wonders. www.minimus.biz is a great source for individual sized packages for all kinds of stuff.

Sorry about lack of links, I am at school and have them bookmarked on my computer at home, but you should be able to google them with no problem.

BTW have used ziplock cooking for about 2 years now. It has saved me TONS of money when you figure the cost of moutain house and other freeze dried meals. Not to mention the time and energy having to filter and treat the water to make them.
  • Rav3nfan
    Rav3nfan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you -- what a great idea, sounds yummy
  • mountainmojo34
    mountainmojo34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Gregory packs are awesome - I have the Med Z65 - love this packs, 30-35lbs feels like it's not on your back, great ventilation 2 thumbs up :)
  • crysgemini
    Options
    bump