the question of gender

Options
I took human sexuality for my school work last semester and I was appalled at the lack of knowledge out there about gender vs sex, and how many people use the two words interchangeably. Transsexual and transgendered are not the same! Yet many people believe they are all lumped in the "damaged" column.

This is something that I feel needs to be addressed and understood by everyone, as so many out there are struggling and suffering because parents/friends/peers refuse to learn and understand. My partner and I took care of and helped a young girl understand herself as a transgendered youth and hopefully made all the difference in her life - sometimes all it takes is one person to care.

Anyone have any thoughts on the issue?

Replies

• futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm also surprised at how little people know about it, but I have to wonder if it's them that don't know much, or is it that I know a lot? When I was a teenager, I had a transgendered roommate and I think that was the first time I learned of it. I now have a cousin who is transgendered (queerness runs in my faimily), so I guess I've had more exposure than most people. I've never seen a transgendered character accurately portrayed, or even a transsexual character portrayed in a way that wasn't offensive. To the masses, anyone who identifies as trans is still the "uknown," or "other," I think. Media could be used as a tool to educate such a huge and diverse audience, but more often than not it's used as a way to demean.
  • mercurybebe
    Options
    You forgot to mention that your partner (me) is genderqueer/trans-ish...I dont want hormones but I had top surgery. I also gave birth to a child. I am confusing and so to most people I am just a freak. Of course I am still figuring this all out within myself and I am 37! To be honest, the weight I have carried has been a side effect of my own inability to figure out my gender. Weight, baggy clothes...anything to hide this body. Its all such a vicious cycle. But I digress...
  • JoMcDonald
    Options
    You forgot to mention that your partner (me) is genderqueer/trans-ish...I dont want hormones but I had top surgery. I also gave birth to a child. I am confusing and so to most people I am just a freak. Of course I am still figuring this all out within myself and I am 37! To be honest, the weight I have carried has been a side effect of my own inability to figure out my gender. Weight, baggy clothes...anything to hide this body. Its all such a vicious cycle. But I digress...

I wasnt about to divulge for you, my dear... ;) :x
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    it's amazing how uninformed so many people are. i work in an ultra-progressive school and gender is a non-discussed topic, even though diversity is our primary focus. being new there i haven't wanted to pipe up for fear of rocking the boat, but now that i've settled in there a bit, and am one of the only out employees, i'm finding it easier to speak up about gender diversity amongst our student body and family population. we had a young student last year who was struggling with gender identity, who received no support due to lack of knowledge, and had to leave the school because they weren't accepted by the community. when i found out, my heart broke, i wish i could have helped.
  • professor_C
    professor_C Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting- I am transgendered - female to male --- there is not alot of knowledge out there -- I work also in a company where "Diversity" is in the forefront, but there are still dealing with racial diversity, tolerating sexual orientation diversity, and are way too perplexed at the idea of gender diversity....I am allowed to dress more masculine but everyone thinks I am more of a lesbian(which is ok as I identified that way for years) than a man........ things will get more interesting as I am able to start physically transitioning and pronouns, attitudes, interactions, and all begin to change -- People do not realize how inbedded gender is in our everyday conversation.......
  • professor_C
    professor_C Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @wendyapple I know what you mean about wishing you could help more --- i was in a small rural city with no one to help me except the youtube community
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am also a transmale. I am fortunate to have a very supportive group of co-workers and friends, even those that don't quite understand why. While I started late, it has been obvious to people that have known me for awhile that I was definitely more male oriented.

In the native community we have a term "Two spirit" to describe glbt people of our culture. I always found it fitting since I felt that my entire life I have had both the spirits in me...a female body and a male gender. They have battled each other at times too...not a pleasant thing.

I saw a news article recently about some school district that was pushing to have a dress code forcing people to dress in gender appropriate clothing only. They said it was to combat the bullying "differently dressed" kids were being subject to. I found it appalling that instead of addressing the bullying, they would force someone to dress in a way that might not be in tune with their gender identity.

The human spirit, soul, body is such a wonderous and expansive thing...why do we feel the need to categorize it and pigeon-hole it into one neat but stifling box?

Kasey
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think people will get there also - to Purple lady. Even people who love you and are trying very hard are gonna pronoun slip constantly. We're super sorry about it, its just really hard to break that habit with someone you've known for a long time. Actually the people who see you every day at work and such will do better than the people who see you less often. Ha. (I have yet to slip out loud but I slip in my head all the time and I still feel bad about it).

because yeah - english is really embedded with gendered words and its nearly impossible NOT to use gendered pronouns when you talk even if you are trying really hard. I dunno, I think people are getting there. It just takes a while but people definitely overall feel like they should at least try to be sensitive, even if they don't "get" it they get that its the polite thing to do.
  • forgottenfraggle
    Options
    I live in a very progressive community. There are many of us LGBT+ folk here, in fact both of my roommates and the person I am dating are all trans. And even here, people have a hard time with gender.

I've been involved in so many discussions about servers at restaurants gendering people, many of my transmale friends have said they get misgendered here more often than in more rural or less progressive areas. I've even heard debates about whether or not you are being a transmysoginist if you choose to add a hyphen or a space to transmale or transfemale. I know that we have a million miles to go before we have any sort of equality, and I think we are doing ourselves a lot of harm by nitpicking the way that someone else within our minority group chooses to identify.

For my efforts, I've tried to stop using gendered pronouns until I know someone's preferred pronoun, I've tried not to gender groups of people, using "folks" or "y'all" rather than "guys" or "ladies". And I've tried to gently correct others when the opportunity arises.

I believe we have a long way to go before we understand all of the ins and outs of gender, and I for one will work toward it every day.

For those of you who don't know, I have found this to be an excellent website for support: www.susans.org and have heard it recommended by others at my SOFFA meetings.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The very lable LGBT seems a little outdated to me, we all get lumpd into the same group i.e society sees us as "not normal" im a lesbian I have no transgendered feelings and whilst I can empathise with transgendred people I have no idea why we are placed into the same group, for example a male to female who now identifies as a straight female has nothng whatsoever to do with being a lesbian- if that same person identifes as a lesbian then yes but the sexuality side is surely a separate issue to benig trnasgendered?
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You know, that is true UKgirl. I tried for a long time to happily join into the lesbian community. While I found great friends there, I always felt like a bystander and at times...an intruder. Being a guy (transmale) some often told me I was the token male to have along.

I still get bothered we need to catalog and file people into one folder or group. A book I read recently written by another guy said he went from being a straight female to a gay male. When I was talking about that at work, many were like "why would someone change like that?" The person didn't change sexuality, they were attracted to men all along. But, they were the wrong gender...and had that corrected. Society has now labeled him as a gay male because of who he always was. Why couldn't he just be a person attracted to another type of person?
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    I agree with what you have all said. I am very open to all forms of identity - but personally I tend to not even like the idea of set identities. There is a sliding scale in probably every gender identity - it is very different for each person. i REALLY have always wanted to find some trans/gender queer/etc-identified friends because I feel that I am the kind of person that sees a soul and not a "role". I see everyone as a PERSON - we are all equal, all deserved to be loved and accepted for who we are - label or not.