Looking for a specific kind of deck building game

Options
So me and one of my best friends used to play Magic:The Gatheting back in middle school and high school. We stopped playing a good 10 years ago. This weekend we were in a store at the checkout line and somehow he convinced me we should buy $60 worth of cards and build some decks to play later on. I really think that was a bad idea and i dont want to get sucked into a competition with him spending all this money on more cards. I think maybe if wr had a decent deck building game to play we could satisfy that mtg urge.

I have Dominion, but that doesnt give me the same competative rush that i get with mtg. I remember hearing somebody tell me about a deck building game that was very involved and fast. It more about taking down other players than racing to get the highest score. The problem is i cant for the life of me remember what it was called.

Anybody know what I might be talking about? Or maybe just know about another game similar to mtg that is not a CCG?

Replies

• Alast
    Alast Posts: 33
    Options
    Hi Chaos, I dont know about that game. But there are a few so called Living Card Games out there.

One I really like is Blue Moon. Its out of print, but I'm sure you can still find it out there. You and your opponent struggle for the favor of 3 ancient dragons and therefore lead one of the various races into this battle. What you basically do is trying to win fights. A fight is started by one player, playing out a member of their race and calling the element they want to attack with (fire or earth). Each card has a certain value for either element. Then you can play out one card that either helps for this round or a card that lasts until the end of the battle. In the end you sum up all values of the element you have active. Thats your power. Your opponent has to top that power or resign. If he tops it, you need to top his power on your next turn, playing another "creature" on top of the first one. The underlying creature gets inactive and thus doesnt count for your power anymore. If you cant play a creature, you have to resign.

If a player resigns, the other gets one of the dragons. If the resigning player already has at least one dragon, one is put back to the middle of the table. The battle ends, when one player has all 3 dragons or the decks are empty.

Varios special abilities add to the fun ;)

The basic games comes with 2 races already being playable. More race packs can be bought, each a complete deck. There are 3 packs not being playable on their own but just to add cards to your pool you can build your own deck with. You can have one main race and then add cards of other races under certain criterias.

I miss playing my Mimix deck ;)

I also asked my colleague. He knows 2 other Living Card games:

Warhammer: Invasion
    Game of Thrones

He also said, you can look on the website of Fantasy Flight. They have more LCGs.
  • CrawlingChaos
    Options
    That spunds prettt cool. I'll have to see if i can get a hold of that. And i'll definitely check out the website.

As for the game i was looking for, i THINK it may be Nightfall. The name doesnt sound familiar but the description sounds similar enough to what im actually looking for. I may order it after i read some reviews on it today, but if anybody knows any similar games ill definitely check them out
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    I was recently faced with a similar issue in regards to Magic. I used to have a vast collection of tournament-worthy cards (my group of friends were heavy into Type 1, now Vintage). Bills and other interests got the best of me, and so went my collection on eBay.

Pauper....this is the answer. This embodies everything that's good about magic without the stupid costs. It's mainly a format that was originated and heavily used in MTGO, but there are rules for it using real cards.

The concept is simple, all deck-building rules apply with 1 very big exception. EVERY card in the deck must be a common! I don't know about where you live, but i can get commons for anywhere from 10 to 25 cents a piece. That figures to be anywhere from 4 to 15 dollars per deck, provided you have to purchase every card in the deck.