Induction phase (old atkins)

Options
Anyone have a stall on the induction phase.....not sure why I am not losing very much? wondering if maybe some ppl have had weight loss in waves?

Replies

• kirby2000
    kirby2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am doing atkins for the second time. The first time was about 3 years ago (old atkins). This time the weight is coming off very slowly (newer atkins, adding allowable vegetables for phase 1). I have averaged 1.5 to 2 pounds lost per week. That's not necessarily bad, but the first time I did atkins, the weight dropped off pretty quickly. I wondered if it was because I have added acceptable vegetables (newer atkins) or because I have done this once before. I am interested in others' experiences too.
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too because I am doing low carb but not Atkins and I am going to do the Atkins induction.
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A lot of people lose more slowly the second time round, although I'm not sure that the reason is well-understood.

As for stalling during induction, well let's start with the major but more unlikely reasons! There's a theory that some people are more "metabolically damaged" than others- more insulin resistant. This is more likely to be the case if you're very obese, or you've been obese for a long time, and/or obesity/type 2 diabetes runs in your family. People in that situation will just always lose more slowly.

Hypothyroid can cause slow loss too, as can Polycystic Ovaries. Always worth a check with your doc.

HOWEVER it's probably more likely to be a sensitivity to a food like dairy, or maybe artificial sweeteners (found in Atkins bars, sugar free jelly etc). It could be that you're undereating (low calorie) and so fighting your metabolism.

Or, it could be that your body is saving up for a great big WHOOSH of a loss next week! :)
  • BonMetz
    BonMetz Posts: 102
    Options
    All great ideas.....I like the saving for a big whoosh:) I have cut out the sweetener so we will see! Thanks.