My intro! Ultra-Newbie.

Options
Hello!!

So I'm a 19 year girl who has finally had enough.

I was pretty overweight for a long time until last year in my first year of university, I became a bit of a picky eater because I didn't like anything that came with my meal plan. I lost a few pounds that year and was motivated to keep going. Instead of gaining the freshmen 15, I went from weighing around 167 to 140.

Fast forward to now.
I live in an off-campus apartment and have been pescatarian with a large focus on fruits and grains. I'm fighting a HUGE sweets addiction. My hair is thinner and falling out more than it ever has. I'm low on energy. My skin just sucks. I've been tested dangerously low on iron. And the scale has been creeping up since christmas. 140...142...143...Now 147. Something has to change.

So after doing some research I've decided to give primal a go. If my diary looks like I'm not eating any meat other than fish, its because I'm not yet. I'm trying to incorporate it slowly. (It still feels weird to eat it) I also don't want to have to hear all the bs people will give me when they find out I'm eating meat again.

This is going to be difficult for me so I'm looking for support. Feel free to add me or check out my diary!

Replies

• samanthalynndr
    Options
    I was in the same boat, 8 years of a veg diet, very low iron (my number was 6!) with bad skin and hair falling out. It took me a very long time (about a year) to get my levels back to normal but I feel amazing now and I don't think I'd ever give up meat again. When people commented or judged me for eating meat, I just explained that I was physically ill and had to take care of my body.
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good for you two! Welcome!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Getting the grain and sugar out will do wonders. You will find lots of people that say it won't work or is bad or or or.
    I have yet to find a post by someone who said they didnt have amazing results when they did these two things.
  • runeatrun
    Options
    Wow! A whole year...
    I guess if thats how long it takes though, I just have to hang tight. My number was close to 4 I think? I pretty much went on supplements right away after that. So not the same.

Hopefully people will be understanding.
  • runeatrun
    Options
    @mike byron
    That's the plan!

So far so good. I'll probably just miss my oatmeal and baked sweets the most.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I thought so too. But found my addiction was far more emotional than physical.
  • runeatrun
    Options
    I thought so too. But found my addiction was far more emotional than physical.

Oh definitely... They are a crutch. Comfort foods essentially.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just started Paleo after eating strictly vegetarian for 11 years. I had started having really strong cravings whenever I cooked meat for my husband, so I told people that I really felt I had to trust my body and give it what it was asking for. Everyone was generally understanding, though I have gotten a few comments ("maybe you wouldn't have gotten sick so much....maybe you'd have been able to better breastfeed...etc, etc...if you'd have eaten meat a long time ago). I just let it roll off my shoulders and you should too if anyone is unsupporrtive.
  • runeatrun
    Options
    I just started Paleo after eating strictly vegetarian for 11 years. I had started having really strong cravings whenever I cooked meat for my husband, so I told people that I really felt I had to trust my body and give it what it was asking for. Everyone was generally understanding, though I have gotten a few comments ("maybe you wouldn't have gotten sick so much....maybe you'd have been able to better breastfeed...etc, etc...if you'd have eaten meat a long time ago). I just let it roll off my shoulders and you should too if anyone is unsupporrtive.

I'm thinking thats what I will have to tell people as well. I'm just going to ease into it at first. I'll probably have meat when I'm home fro m school on weekends, and then more regularly when I'm home for the summer.

This is all still pretty scary for me in the sense that I'm not used to eating this much fat, and for so long I believed that not eating meat was healthiest. It's hard to wrap my head around. And I miss fruit!! I was up to about 5 servings a day....
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I'm thinking thats what I will have to tell people as well. I'm just going to ease into it at first. I'll probably have meat when I'm home fro m school on weekends, and then more regularly when I'm home for the summer.

This is all still pretty scary for me in the sense that I'm not used to eating this much fat, and for so long I believed that not eating meat was healthiest. It's hard to wrap my head around. And I miss fruit!! I was up to about 5 servings a day....

Try not to worry too much about how other people react to your diet. I find the best way to respond to questioning co-workers/friends/family is to say you're just eating the way that makes you feel the best. Don't go into it any more than that, unless you're asked by someone who seems interested!

Trying to eat more fat does take some getting used to. Try adding tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil to your dishes for a little bit extra. Creamed coconut can be whipped up as a delicious dip for fruit, while giving you some fat as well. Unless you're trying to lose weight, there's no reason to give up fruit! Even if you are trying to lose weight, keeping your fruit intake to about 2 servings a day should be fine!