Free will?

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Trying to reason your way throught something irrational is the definition of insanity.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Religion's views of free will are a little warped. Believe our crap or burn forever. That's a fair choice.
    Yes, some religions view that. I know that the Catholic faith teaches that God is Mercy and that we choose our eternity, not by our actions, but at the moment of death, that we are given a choice with full knowledge to choose God and repent or to choose to live eternity without God. But it is a choice of the free will. For those who's lives on earth were not saintly, from the moment of choosing God until entering heaven we are purified of our earthly sins (which as Catholics, we call Purgatory). I know many Christians who believe in purification but stop at the idea of Purgatory.
    And the worse part of Hell is not the burning, it's the being separated from God for eternity.

The Catholic faith has also taught many things over history and then recanted them. That you must buy your way into heaven. That you can have a mistress, only if you have enough money to buy a title for one and that it was god's will to burn people who read scripture and interpreted it differently than the Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, etc say it was to be read.

How do you know what they say now is what you should believe? Just another reason for my confusion and distrust of churches...
    Well, it is also about discernment. Discernment is to take what one believes (or is taught), and see if it is reinforced in Scripture. Yes, there are plenty of moments in Catholic history where there was corruption and leaders who, while at the time were viewed by many as valid, are not seen as valid according to the history of the Church. There were also practices that were wrong and were done away with because they were wrong. But Mercy is one of those things that is so clearly evident in Scripture that one cannot deny that it is real and that God extends it beyond what we as humans can do with it.

I understand why you may be confused and distrust religion, but again, as I remind others, read the documents that the religions have as their official teaching. To know what the Catholic Church teaches, read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Canon Law, General Instruction of the Roman Missal, Encyclicals, and of course The Bible. Yes, that's a lot of reading, but if you really want to know what the teachings and rules are for a church that is so highly criticized by a majority you must know fully all that it teaches, down to what the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass should and should not contain.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Religion's views of free will are a little warped. Believe our crap or burn forever. That's a fair choice.
    Yes, some religions view that. I know that the Catholic faith teaches that God is Mercy and that we choose our eternity, not by our actions, but at the moment of death, that we are given a choice with full knowledge to choose God and repent or to choose to live eternity without God. But it is a choice of the free will. For those who's lives on earth were not saintly, from the moment of choosing God until entering heaven we are purified of our earthly sins (which as Catholics, we call Purgatory). I know many Christians who believe in purification but stop at the idea of Purgatory.
    And the worse part of Hell is not the burning, it's the being separated from God for eternity.

The Catholic faith has also taught many things over history and then recanted them. That you must buy your way into heaven. That you can have a mistress, only if you have enough money to buy a title for one and that it was god's will to burn people who read scripture and interpreted it differently than the Pope, Cardinals, Bishops, etc say it was to be read.

How do you know what they say now is what you should believe? Just another reason for my confusion and distrust of churches...
    Well, it is also about discernment. Discernment is to take what one believes (or is taught), and see if it is reinforced in Scripture. Yes, there are plenty of moments in Catholic history where there was corruption and leaders who, while at the time were viewed by many as valid, are not seen as valid according to the history of the Church. There were also practices that were wrong and were done away with because they were wrong. But Mercy is one of those things that is so clearly evident in Scripture that one cannot deny that it is real and that God extends it beyond what we as humans can do with it.

I understand why you may be confused and distrust religion, but again, as I remind others, read the documents that the religions have as their official teaching. To know what the Catholic Church teaches, read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Canon Law, General Instruction of the Roman Missal, Encyclicals, and of course The Bible. Yes, that's a lot of reading, but if you really want to know what the teachings and rules are for a church that is so highly criticized by a majority you must know fully all that it teaches, down to what the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass should and should not contain.

As I was raised in a Lutheran school, I am familiar with scripture. For 10 years I had to recite bible verses, have a daily bible class and school chapel service once a week. So the big question I have is how do so many different denominatiosn interperate the SAME BOOK so differently? Which one is right? Obviously someone is setting a standard in those denominations, who is that person to translate what the bible is saying when so many other people take it in a different way...
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

As I was raised in a Lutheran school, I am familiar with scripture. For 10 years I had to recite bible verses, have a daily bible class and school chapel service once a week. So the big question I have is how do so many different denominatiosn interperate the SAME BOOK so differently? Which one is right? Obviously someone is setting a standard in those denominations, who is that person to translate what the bible is saying when so many other people take it in a different way...

Exactly. I am Catholic but I don't think I am right and anybody else is wrong... we're all human. I really believe nobody has all the answers, some just think they do. The Bible is open to interpretation - it is full of stories... stories that were handed down by mans word prior to being written down by man. Like any other writing - people will interpret it differently and I'm not going to say my or any interpretation is absolute.
  • Regmama
    Options

Well, if you research what the early Christ followers did and how they worshiped you'd find that it is the same as the Catholic mass, minus the actual "church" building. These are the same followers who knew Christ when he walked the earth. It requires research if you are truly seeking to know TRUTH.
  • Regmama
    Options

Exactly. I am Catholic but I don't think I am right and anybody else is wrong... we're all human. I really believe nobody has all the answers, some just think they do. The Bible is open to interpretation - it is full of stories... stories that were handed down by mans word prior to being written down by man. Like any other writing - people will interpret it differently and I'm not going to say my or any interpretation is absolute.
    I'm sorry that you don't see the fullness and beauty of the faith you proclaim.

Not to mention, the Church doesn't say everyone else is wrong, actually, the Church states clearly that other faiths do contain part of the Truth.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Not to mention, the Church doesn't say everyone else is wrong, actually, the Church states clearly that other faiths do contain part of the Truth.

I didn't say the Church says they are wrong... I said I don't think I am right and anybody else is wrong. You can say I don't see the fullness and beauty... I don't see it that way. Even the Church changes its interpretation at times.

The Church I attend is VERY open minded and welcomes discussion. They also practice what they preach and welcome all without judgment. They have openly stated at mass that we have and accept gay/lesbian members. They create an atmosphere where people want to come from all walks of life and feel welcome and good about being there. They do not preach fire and brimstone. They apply the gospel sermon to today's society. We all greet each other at the start of every mass and welcome visitors before concluding - we always have visitors from out of town, often repeat ones. We have a membership full of people who want to be there, and not because they feel like it's their "duty". Everyone participates in one form or another - it's not a "show up on Sunday" Church. We are active in the community. You can speak to our priests about any subject without fear or reprimand. Its a place where the priests know everyone's story and know everyone by name. That to me is fulfilling and beautiful. I'm sorry you actually think I don't see fullness and beauty because I don't see it "your" way.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Well, if you research what the early Christ followers did and how they worshiped you'd find that it is the same as the Catholic mass, minus the actual "church" building. These are the same followers who knew Christ when he walked the earth. It requires research if you are truly seeking to know TRUTH.

If that were true then why are there so many non-Catholics who read and study the Bible daily? Do you think they are too dim to see "TRUTH" or that they are just ignoring that "TRUTH"?
  • Regmama
    Options

I didn't say the Church says they are wrong... I said I don't think I am right and anybody else is wrong. You can say I don't see the fullness and beauty... I don't see it that way. Even the Church changes its interpretation at times.

The Church I attend is VERY open minded and welcomes discussion. They also practice what they preach and welcome all without judgment. They have openly stated at mass that we have and accept gay/lesbian members. They create an atmosphere where people want to come from all walks of life and feel welcome and good about being there. They do not preach fire and brimstone. They apply the gospel sermon to today's society. We all greet each other at the start of every mass and welcome visitors before concluding - we always have visitors from out of town, often repeat ones. We have a membership full of people who want to be there, and not because they feel like it's their "duty". Everyone participates in one form or another - it's not a "show up on Sunday" Church. We are active in the community. You can speak to our priests about any subject without fear or reprimand. Its a place where the priests know everyone's story and know everyone by name. That to me is fulfilling and beautiful. I'm sorry you actually think I don't see fullness and beauty because I don't see it "your" way.
    My parish is the same way, just as welcoming and active. However, I would venture that many assume that it is not based on how "traditional" we are (up until recently we even had the Tridintine mass celebrated at our parish). We have had plenty of fire and brimstone homilies if you want to call being held accountable for one's sins fire and brimstone (last year's Ash Wednesday homily called us all to stop sinning, that that is what we should do for Lent, and he pointed out how so few attend confession). But all my non-church going and non-Catholic family absolutely LOVE my parish and our pastor. We live too far away from everyone for them to come on other occassions but I would venture to say that all parishes are way more welcoming than what is stereotyped. I just prefer to be challenged and told that my sins ARE sins, no sugar coating. I'm sure I'd love going to your parish and I'm sure you would love mine. After all, the Church is for there to help the spiritually sick.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    But really - if your belief is:
    I know that the Catholic faith teaches that God is Mercy and that we choose our eternity, not by our actions, but at the moment of death, that we are given a choice with full knowledge to choose God and repent or to choose to live eternity without God. But it is a choice of the free will. For those who's lives on earth were not saintly, from the moment of choosing God until entering heaven we are purified of our earthly sins (which as Catholics, we call Purgatory).

what do you think happens to someone who has worshipped Hindu deities (the Trimurti, Tridevi, and so on - or any other religion, for that matter) when they die? I am sincerely interested - I've never heard anyone's thoughts on this. Ever.
  • Regmama
    Options
    I know that the Catholic faith teaches that God is Mercy and that we choose our eternity, not by our actions, but at the moment of death, that we are given a choice with full knowledge to choose God and repent or to choose to live eternity without God. But it is a choice of the free will. For those who's lives on earth were not saintly, from the moment of choosing God until entering heaven we are purified of our earthly sins (which as Catholics, we call Purgatory).

what do you think happens to someone who has worshipped Hindu deities (the Trimurti, Tridevi, and so on - or any other religion, for that matter) when they die? I am sincerely interested - I've never heard anyone's thoughts on this. Ever.
    I believe that most, if not all, will choose God. That they will be saved by Jesus' death and resurrection, that they will choose Truth even though they did not know He who is Truth here on earth.
  • Bahet
    Options

I believe that most, if not all, will choose God. That they will be saved by Jesus' death and resurrection, that they will choose Truth even though they did not know He who is Truth here on earth.
    What if, once you die, you learn that the Truth is Hindi? Will you disavow Christianity and all you believed your entire life if you are shown that you were wrong?
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

What if, once you die, you learn that the Truth is Hindi? Will you disavow Christianity and all you believed your entire life if you are shown that you were wrong?

lol, you know you're not going to like the answer you get from this :)

Faith, choosing to believe something is true in the absence of evidence, precludes the option for being rational--rational in the classical sense of the word, that is.

The answer you'd likely get from a true believer in Christ would probably be something similar to: "But that's not what's going to happen because it isn't what I accept as truth."

It's lacks a certain imagination, I feel, but that's the problem with choosing to believe that one religion has it right instead of accepting the infinite possibilities that exist in the universe--or at least near infinite.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I saw on South Park that the correct answer is: Mormon. So.......yeah. :wink:
  • Bahet
    Options

I saw on South Park that the correct answer is: Mormon. So.......yeah. :wink:
    I LOVE South Park! I really want to see Book of Mormon. It's supposed to be wonderful.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I saw this on imgur - I need to see the next page!

http://i.imgur.com/c84oE.jpg
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    God gives us free will & his followers try to take it away
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

That is just digusting.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options

That is just digusting.
    lol What was it? I am afraid to open it! lol
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

That is just digusting.
    lol What was it? I am afraid to open it! lol

Propaganda from some christian book.