TOTD - 02.16.12

Options
twinsanity
twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
'High Profile People'

I, for one, am noticing many more high profile people, be it celebrities, politicians or whomever, are coming out publicly. Not to mention we have tv shows here in the US that focus on the issues of openly gay/lesbian/bi-sexual people all the time.

What do you think this means to the LGBT+ community as a whole? Do you think it's a sign of further public acceptance? Do you think it's hurting or helping the community, as a whole? Where do you think this takes us...will it help in the efforts to make same-sex marriage legal in the US? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• diddypants
    Options
    I think it is a positive thing for the most part. It gives those who may not personally know or associate with an LGBT person (directly) someone to relate to - their favorite actor/actress, musician, artist, politician..ha does anyone have a favorite politician? It's added visiibility across the board - community-wise, politically, and so forth. I believe it also helps perhaps nullify some of the "negative" stereotypes associated with the community.

These folks in the public eye are out there for the world to see, and they (the public) are able to see that they are no different of a person than before (assuming they had no idea this person was LGBT) AND hopefully they understand that we really are no different inside and out as far as the grand scheme of things.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think its positive because it normalizes it. Instead of people feeling like "I don't know any gay people, that's weird" they think "oh so and so on TV is gay" --- whether they like or dislike the person really doesn't matter since with anything if you get people comfortable with something in their daily lives they will stop feeling weird about it.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I just read the other day the following numbers... these are in reference to opinions on gay marriage.

5/8/2011 Approve 53 Opposed 45 Unsure 3

compared to ---

3/1996 Approve 27 Opposed 68 Unsure 5

I think the media, celebrities and just the culture in general are becoming more and more accepting. It even seems that some of the conservatives are really starting to change their views on it. Especially as a younger generation starts to move into those types of positions.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Well, seeing as almost a third of the country now has same sex marriage in their law books, or in the works to be law, I'm honestly not too concerned about the eventuality of it being legal 100% across the board. With the recent Supreme Court decision for CA law, I think it's only a matter of time, seeing that a major state on both coasts, as well several in the middle of the country, have gotten on board.
    As for the media, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean, while I appreciate the "normalizing" of gay culture, I don't think this is particularly a new thing. The reality is, gay references and themes have been actively in the media and prime time television for at least 20 years now. The issue right now is one of morality, not of comfort with sexual status. I personally think that celebrities and politicians that make a grand reveal of their sexuality are doing it for publicity more than anything. Sure, some are acting as activist, but you can definitely tell when there is a purpose to it.
    Of course, it can be positive, but I still have concerns over the representation in pop culture. Gay themes don't always equate positive themes. Personally, I won't see it as an effort to "normalize" the presence of GLBTQ members until it's no longer a point of attention and note. That is, if shows have GLBTQ characters, great! but that doesn't mean they have to fit stereotypes. Most community members I know don't act like 85% of the characters we see in modern programming.
    I don't trust politicians that come out on the campaign trail, because I think it's a propaganda move much more than a personal revelation.
    Celebrities seem to come out when their careers are dwindling. Time and again, we see a re-vamping of popularity after these announcements. Sure, I understand that the community needs representation, but it just makes me wonder... I mean, it's not like most of society doesn't already assume that a man that is in theater and acting has a high possibility of being gay... I personally have more respect for people like Charlize Theron (I believe it was her) who refused to get married until it was legal for everyone. Publicity stunt? Maybe. Pretty much anything can be. I just thought to myself, she is making an example out of her life, one that she CHOSE and not one that she was born to, and that example is a lot stronger in my eyes.
  • Quasita
    Options
    Of course, not to forget Harvey Milk and his amazing courage. I do realize that some community members are fighting for the bigger cause, and I respect anyone that faces adversity in the process. Of course, to me it means that openly gay politicians now would be no big deal, as compared to what that man did for this country. The fact that he died for our community drives the sharp point home even farther.
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I personally have more respect for people like Charlize Theron (I believe it was her) who refused to get married until it was legal for everyone.

Charlize may have said that. I don't know. But, I think you are referring to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Even they are reconsidering their pact in the face of their children's questions about why they aren't married.
  • Quasita
    Options
    I personally have more respect for people like Charlize Theron (I believe it was her) who refused to get married until it was legal for everyone.

Charlize may have said that. I don't know. But, I think you are referring to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Even they are reconsidering their pact in the face of their children's questions about why they aren't married.

I honestly could care less about those two! Whoever it is that I'm thinking of, though I'm pretty sure it was Charlize, said this probably over a decade ago when questioned if she was going to marry her then boyfriend. Pitt and Jolie just seem like a mess to me.
  • MrCook49
    MrCook49 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As a man who is nearly 50, I had absolutely no role models or even references when i was growing up. I think today's pop culture influence is good for the community. Being exposed to gay role models helps young people who may be dealing with identity issues and give them the courage to be themselves.

I never had that courage when I was younger because I didn't know it was "okay" to be gay.
  • diddypants
    Options

I honestly could care less about those two! Whoever it is that I'm thinking of, though I'm pretty sure it was Charlize, said this probably over a decade ago when questioned if she was going to marry her then boyfriend. Pitt and Jolie just seem like a mess to me.

You are correct - she did state this....it's been a few years now, but she did infact make that statement. Dunno about Brangelina and personally....could care less. :) I think I've heard a few other hetero celebs follow Charlize's lead, but I can't think off the top of my head who they were.

I appreciate Dan Savage & his partner (doh...name escapes me) pushing the whole It Gets Better movement this year. Since it launched - it has gotten a TON of media - virtually all formats. I am no huge fan of politics but REALLY admire the big wig politicians that are out or have came out and do not hide WHO they are. I think that is fantastic and that goes for anyone on Capitol Hill to the small town city councils and so forth. It is (to me) exceptionally brave to run for any type of political position whether it be mayor of smalltown USA, governor of so and so...and so forth - esp. those living in what I consider non-LGBT friendly zones.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It was Charlize, at a GLAAD event that was televised on LOGO a few years ago.

I am glad for the continued coverages to get information out there in a non-sensational way. Just showing the every day struggles of trying to have the same rights, privileges and expectations that every other American takes for granted. I was particularly moved by a young man Zach Wahls who went to the Iowa House of Reps as they debated about Civil Unions. If you get the chance, google it and watch it.

What I long for is the day when news is news, based on not what we are, but who we are as human beings. No different, better, worse than anyone else.

Edited post:
    Found a link on youtube:Zach Wahls Speaks About Family http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLZO-sObzQ