Let's start a group!

Options

Replies

• calpollyana
    Options
    I also go to a massage therapist who does lymphatic massage. She said that is especially good after chemo treatments, because it helps the body eliminate the toxins. I had four rounds of chemo in 2009 and I wish I had known about that back then. (: But now I get one once a month, and it makes me feel like a new person.

I never thought of lymphatic massage to help get the poisons and dead cells out! What an excellent idea!

My first experience with neuromuscular re-education massage was so educational. She talked about how muscles have memory and that people who have been through the stress of cancer and its treatments, retain that level of stress in their muscles and brain. Needless to say, my first massage was intensely emotional...lots of crying. I had stored all the painful memories in my body for nearly 2 years! Fortunately, this is a common response to this type of massage, so it didn't phase the therapist one bit. I'm so glad I gave it a try! It's different from any other type of massage I've ever had. (:
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I don't believe they are talking about the cheap Vitamin E that you get in the drugstore. ... I remember that I found Vitamin E helped me with the breast pain that I had. But I bought the expensive stuff in the health food store. Any interesting thoughts about this girls?

Hmm I really need to check into this. What kind of Vitamin E did you buy?
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't believe they are talking about the cheap Vitamin E that you get in the drugstore. ... I remember that I found Vitamin E helped me with the breast pain that I had. But I bought the expensive stuff in the health food store. Any interesting thoughts about this girls?

Hmm I really need to check into this. What kind of Vitamin E did you buy?

Hi Fancy Lady! Here is the link for the Pub Med article called "Chemopreventtive Activity of Vitamin E in Breast Cancer" - A focus on y- and 0-Tocopherol from my previous comment. You can copy paste it into your browser:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22254089
    It says y-tocopherol and o-tocopherol reduced inflammation, cell proliferation and tumour burden. They recommend that a y-enriched mixture, y and o-tocoheral but not a-tocopheral are promising agents for breast cancer prevention. If you go to the health food store and ask the clerk, they will help you find it. I have found that the cheap Vitamin E that we buy over the counter is the-not so helpful "a"-tocopheral and the more expensive health food type brands have the y and the o tocopheral. If you google search the y and the o you will find some foods and spices with it in. So you can eat foods with more of the right kind of vitamin E. I don't use one brand in particular, I just read the back of the bottle and look for the right kind of tocopheral. (Vitamin E). I hope that helps you with your search.
  • NalasMama
    Options
    I tested BRCa 1 and 2 positive in 2001 but ignored the test results even though my older sister had BC twice. I was waiting for medical breakthroughs. By the time I found them, I found out on June 30, 2009 that I had breast cancer and endured 6 weeks of radiation. It was my husband's decision, and mine after eight consults and surgical opinions that I should undergo surgery to have both breast and my ovaries removed. I waited until January 2011 to have my bi-lateral mastectomy. It has been a long, hard road but I am a stronger woman today. I started having additional health problems that took me from 112 lbs to 160 lbs in what seemed like overnight. I had my bi-lateral mastectomy January 2011 and had two failed reconstructions. I have one more surgery to have my expanders removed and my final stage of reconstruction completed. I am trying to lose 30 lbs before my surgery in April. So far, I am doing well. I struggle with finding a variety of healthy foods because I have severe food allergies. I get bored with the same old food choices but am getting better. Overall, I am lucky to be alive and cannot wait to get back into shape. My skinny clothes await my arrival! :smile:

16127208.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • weemuse
    Options
    I tested BRCa 1 and 2 positive in 2001 but ignored the test results even though my older sister had BC twice. I was waiting for medical breakthroughs. By the time I found them, I found out on June 30, 2009 that I had breast cancer and endured 6 weeks of radiation. It was my husband's decision, and mine after eight consults and surgical opinions that I should undergo surgery to have both breast and my ovaries removed. I waited until January 2011 to have my bi-lateral mastectomy. It has been a long, hard road but I am a stronger woman today. I started having additional health problems that took me from 112 lbs to 160 lbs in what seemed like overnight. I had my bi-lateral mastectomy January 2011 and had two failed reconstructions. I have one more surgery to have my expanders removed and my final stage of reconstruction completed. I am trying to lose 30 lbs before my surgery in April. So far, I am doing well. I struggle with finding a variety of healthy foods because I have severe food allergies. I get bored with the same old food choices but am getting better. Overall, I am lucky to be alive and cannot wait to get back into shape. My skinny clothes await my arrival! :smile:

16127208.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • weemuse
    Options
    Welcome to the group, NalasMama! Food allergies must really complicate the process... so sorry you have that to deal with on top of everything else.
  • SlimmingJules
    SlimmingJules Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind me joining as I don't actually have breast cancer myself, but my sister was diagnosed at 39 and she had a partial mastectomy, chemo & radiotherapy. She has been in remission for around 8 years. My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in October, she too has had a partial mastectomy and has now just started taking Tamoxifen and having radiotherapy..she is 74 years old.

I'm hoping if I improve my diet and lose (lots) of weight I may somehow reduce my likelyhood of developing cancer... though I have been told my chance is 1 in 2.
  • calpollyana
    Options
    Welcome, Nalasmama!

So glad you joined our little group! It sounds like you have had a long drawn out journey. It will be so nice to have all of the surgeries behind you, so you can finally experience the joy of truly putting it behind you. Best wishes from me to you in this journey of healing and weight loss! :smile:

Rhonda
  • Gorger
    Options
    A warm hello, Kraftykat

You are most welcome to join our group!
    There are many tips and tricks that you will learn from our group for prevention as we are all trying to avoid recurrence.
    The first time I was diagnosed with BC I was told to "throw away the margarine".
    I replaced all of my oils and fats with healthy fats and I try hard now to keep the consumption of all fats in general to a minimum.
    Canola oil and olive oil are apparently better, and stop the proliferation of cancer cells, whereas corn oils and other less expensive oils are not so good.
    My grandma always said "If the mice won't eat the margarine, neither will I" and she lived to 101 years old!
    It sounds as though your mum had estrogen positive breast cancer. It would be interesting to see if your sister's was estrogen positive or negative. Coffee has been studied to prevent estrogen negative breast cancer.

Here you go, an article on Canola Oil:
    Lipids. 2010 Sep;45(9):777-84. Epub 2010 Aug 22.
    Canola oil inhibits breast cancer cell growth in cultures and in vivo and acts synergistically with chemotherapeutic drugs.
    Cho K, Mabasa L, Fowler AW, Walsh DM, Park CS.
    Source
    Department of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, North University Drive, Fargo, ND 58108, USA.
    Abstract
    Certain fatty acids in canola oil (CAN) have been associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer. This study assessed the effects of CAN on proliferation and death of human breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivo in chemically induced mammary carcinogenesis. We hypothesize that CAN reduces breast cancer cell growth by inducing cell death. In a series of in vitro experiments, human breast cancer T47D and MCF-7 cells were cultured and treated with CAN and two chemotherapeutic drugs, tamoxifen and cerulenin. Cell proliferation and caspase-3 and p53 activities were measured. Reduced cancer cell growth and increased expression of caspase-3 and p53 were seen in T47D and MCF-7 cells treated with CAN. Moreover, CAN showed synergistic cancer cell growth inhibition effects with tamoxifen and cerulenin. In a subsequent live animal experiment, 42 female Sprague-Dawley rats were randomly assigned to corn oil (CORN) or CAN diets, and mammary tumors were chemically induced by N-nitroso-N-methylurea. CAN-dieted rats had reduced tumor volumes and showed an increased survival rate as compared to CORN-dieted rats. We demonstrated that CAN has suppressive effects on cancer growth, and reduces tumor volumes. The results suggest that CAN may have inhibitory effects on breast cancer cell growth, and warrants further investigation of the synergistic effects of CAN with anti-cancer drugs.
    PMID: 20730604 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind me joining as I don't actually have breast cancer myself, but my sister was diagnosed at 39 and she had a partial mastectomy, chemo & radiotherapy. She has been in remission for around 8 years. My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in October, she too has had a partial mastectomy and has now just started taking Tamoxifen and having radiotherapy..she is 74 years old.

I'm hoping if I improve my diet and lose (lots) of weight I may somehow reduce my likelyhood of developing cancer... though I have been told my chance is 1 in 2.
  • SlimmingJules
    SlimmingJules Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome Gorger :smile:

My Mum's BC was positive, I think my sister's was too and she also took Tamoxifen.

Thanks for the info...interesting reading. I'll be keeping an eye on this group in the hope of picking up even more info xxx
  • weemuse
    Options
    Welcome, kraftykat!
  • Gorger
    Options
    tellher2.com Here is a link to an interesting site. It's for people with Her2positive breast cancer. There are stories and videos on the site.

tellher2.com
  • weemuse
    Options
    tellher2.com looks great! Thanks Gorger.
  • zvmc
    zvmc Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey y'll. Finished chemo in December and now looking forward not back! Loving all the tips on keeping fit and eating well... Enjoying trying to get my fitness levels back. Great to know there's loads of us around|!
  • calpollyana
    Options
    Welcome to the club! I know what you mean about moving forward. It seemed like I was so powerless during the treatment time period. All I wanted to do was gain control of my life and put it all behind me, but I had to be patient with the process. I'm so glad you are finished with it, and can now look forward to rebuilding your temple! Godspeed you on your journey! :smile:
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    zvmc, do you have any additional treatment protocol -- radiation, drugs? If so, we can try to address questions and concerns from a patient perspective.
  • zvmc
    zvmc Posts: 4
    Options
    Hiya and thanks for the supportive messages. Yes I will be on Herceptin until August and then expected to take tamoxofen. I'm going to cross that bridge when I come to it! I had a mastectomy and reconstruction (at the same time) in June using my back muscle. I also had an axillary node clearance. I'm so looking forward to a holiday this year especially as we had to cancel last year! Onwards and upwards, I am not cancelling this one!!! :smile:
  • KLEALEE71
    KLEALEE71 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I am glad to see there is a survivor group. I was diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 38. There was no history (to my knowledge) in my family. I had an aggressive type. Had Hercepton every week for 16 weeks. Had bi-lateral Mast. Adriamician/cytoxin every other week for 8 weeks, then back to Hercepton every 3 weeks for 8 months. I am now taking Tamoxifan and think it is contributing to weight gain. Has anyone else experienced weight gain from Tamoxifan? My joints in my knees are sore so it makes it difficult for me to exercise, hard to say if it's from weight or side effect from meds...
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've posted here before. I am over four years out from my diagnosis and in great shape. Today I want to do a quick vent though. One thing I hate about post cancer is that often what might be something to watch and wait for someone who never had cancer requires at least the consideration of additional testing for me as a survivor. Today I have to get a bone scan. Nothing inherently painful but it is nuclear medicine and timeconsuming and then you have to wait to find out that everythings fine. I am trying to make it as pleasant as possible. I'm going to work in the morning and a friend is picking me up (she's been through it all too). We have an agenda of things to talk about because I have to wait two hours between when they shoot in the dye and they give me the test. My retired husband has promised to spend the time I am uncomfortable doing unpleasant household tasks so we can enjoy the weekend. The point being that healthy as I have become, the breast cancer still occasionally haunts. Since this is a fitness site, I will say that my goal when it does haunt is not to further punish myself with excess food (treats) or by wallowing in worry.
  • Gorger
    Options
    Hi All. I am glad to see there is a survivor group. I was diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 38. There was no history (to my knowledge) in my family. I had an aggressive type. Had Hercepton every week for 16 weeks. Had bi-lateral Mast. Adriamician/cytoxin every other week for 8 weeks, then back to Hercepton every 3 weeks for 8 months. I am now taking Tamoxifan and think it is contributing to weight gain. Has anyone else experienced weight gain from Tamoxifan? My joints in my knees are sore so it makes it difficult for me to exercise, hard to say if it's from weight or side effect from meds...

Hello you.
    I had that too. I personally noticed that they give the same dosage to a 100 pound person as a 400 pound person -so the drug is indeed very toxic. I couldn't handle the drug myself but had to be on it because apparently you can't take Letrozole (a more effective drug) until you are post menopausal. I read up on Tamoxifen and (I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU DO THIS) found that the drug is still pretty effective in smaller doses. So I cut the pill in half. (I'm the rebellious type). (Remember in the 1970's the HUGE birth control pills? And how they found that they were still effective in smaller amounts. Well, that's what I figure may happen in the future with that drug. Or perhaps it might be given in a dose related to how much you weigh. The full dose made me sick sick sick.
    And I tolerated it well in a smaller amount. Although I was too afraid to tell my Oncologist that I did it. Now I am on Letrozole and I tolerate the drug well. They can give it to you if you still have your periods if you agree to take the shots to stop your periods. Tamoxifen builds bones and Letrozole causes bone loss. I now have the beginning of osteoporosis so- make sure you take your 1200 calcium while you are on Tamoxifen because they are switching to Letrozole and if you take it you want strong bones. The way I figure it, is my quality of life is most important to me. So, do your research and see if you can switch drugs. Look up 'Letrozole vs. Tamoxifen' and you'll see how much more effective the drug is. Although it is very much more expensive. My drugs are free because I am in Canada. As is everything else medically. Thank God otherwise I'd be on a park bench playing a violin. I am no way endorsing that anyone follow in my footsteps. Just do your research and follow your gut feeling. Your intuition will guide you through all your treatments. I insist on being the driver of the car in my life and if it crashes, it's my own fault.