Please, I need your feedback

Options
YassSpartan
YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
I know the group started pretty slow but it is time to start picking up and get to business since we already have plenty of members in the group. So I need everyone's feedback about the following.

1- So far it seems that most, if not everybody, agrees to meet on a Sunday morning. I need to know if this works for everybody and which could be better, the first or last Sunday of each month.

2- Mornings. I suggested to meet early in the morning. Why? Because we live in Miami, and as spring/summer starts arriving, we all know how temperatures can get. We'll be doing a 10 to 15 minutes workout before doing any other activity. So working out early and avoid the high temperatures at noon is ideal. My question is, what time would be the best for the majority? 9am or 10am?

Note: I suggest 9 am as the early time because I know most go out Saturday nights.

3- I'm trying to come up with ideas where no one has to spend money. There is no need to make it a mission to participate in this group, but I'm aware there will be times we might have to pay for parking. So if anyone comes up with any idea for our meetings, try to plan it so it doesn't involve spending money or at least the minimum amount of it.

We need to figure this out ASAP so we can either start at the end of the month or beginning of the next one.

Replies

• _Shelley_
    Options
    The suckiest part about my work schedule is...my work schedule. Unfortunately I work weekends from 11am-7pm (hr commute each way). Pretty much my mornings during the week are free but I know most peoples aren't.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    The suckiest part about my work schedule is...my work schedule. Unfortunately I work weekends from 11am-7pm (hr commute each way). Pretty much my mornings during the week are free but I know most peoples aren't.

Well, if no one has an objection in doing it earlier than 9 and maybe you can go for a little and at least do the workout and whatever time allows you to do, we can do that. That's why I want members to reply to this. I'm sending everyone a message now.
  • saido420
    Options
    Depending on the time the event lasts it wouldn't matter if it was early, at least for me. Even as early as 7 AM would be fine, a lot of us are probably awake then, and few are bound to be at work on a sunday at 7 am.

As far as first or last of the month, I'm indifferent.
  • BigPapaGato
    BigPapaGato Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I work every sunday (24 hour shifts) so I will not be participating :(

However maybe once the ball get's rolling on these weekend meets and everything gets more organized, we can start doing saturday or even weekday meetings. Either way i'm hoping this really takes off.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    I'm indifferent. I don't mind doing night time things either as long as it's past 7pm. And it doesn't matter on the day of the week either.

Sunday morning is totally doable for me. I can be up as early as 5am, no biggie. I can't assure you how awake I'll be though :laugh:

Where would you want to meet though? Any ideas of places? I don't mind driving if it's on the weekends. But if we choose a weeknight, take into account traffic and time.
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    my weekends are open and morning is fine with me.

No idea how to help with places to meet i'm new to miami and since moving to south beach i've barely left it.

But i'm super excited to be a part of this group.

I'm not sure how different Miami and South Beach are but are there free parking nears parks or something, because that might be an easy place to meet.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    my weekends are open and morning is fine with me.

No idea how to help with places to meet i'm new to miami and since moving to south beach i've barely left it.

But i'm super excited to be a part of this group.

I'm not sure how different Miami and South Beach are but are there free parking nears parks or something, because that might be an easy place to meet.

If you're living on South Beach, I can assure you you'll like coming over the bridge and enjoying the free parking LOL South Beach parking is ridiculous! I don't know where any one else is located but I'm near the grove and there are plenty of parks in the area and I believe the parking is free.
  • saido420
    Options
    I don't have a vehicle, but as long as you're near SOME bus route I'm good.
  • BigPapaGato
    Options
    I'm in kendall but travel everywhere and have been to most of the local big parks in Miami/Fort Lauderdale. Most of the bigger nicer parks will have free entrance during the week and some of them will charge a small fee for weekends. Also parking in all of these parks are meter free :)
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love the concept of Miami Gathering. Let me share some ideas and my preference on the times/days.

Mornings on a Sunday: 9:30 am would split it right down the middle and make it easier for me to wake up after a late Saturday night.

Alternate days and evenings: on odd months - mornings, even days-evenings say around 6:30 pm.

Members can offer classes in areas of their expertise: Tai Chi, Kung Fu, Calistenics, Dance, Yoga, etc.

After the 10-15 physical activity maybe other activities can be planned:
    - Healthy pot luck picnic
    - Face painting
    - Henna body art
    - Musical performances: guitars, drums, karaoke
    - Business network day
    - Bring a single friend day
    - Fish fly making day (jejejeje, running out of ideas)
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Hmmmm I see the days will be a conflict for some of us. We could plan two days a month, one on Sundays and one during the week. That way whoever can't go to one, can be part of the other day. At the moment I can go to both, until my work schedule changes. Then I have no idea what days I'll have free. I'm hoping to find out tomorrow.

Sundays 9:30am is not a problem for me.

In the meantime this is a list of parks that I know of:

Matheson Hammock Park
    9610 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables, FL

A.D. Barnes Park
    3401 SW 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL

Tropical Park Stadium
    7900 SW 40 Street, Miami, FL

Larry and Penny Thompson Park
    12451 SW 184th St, Miami, FL

Amelia Earhart Park‎
    401 E. 65th Street, Miami, Florida

Oleta River State Park‎
    3400 NE 163rd Street Miami, FL
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    One of the activities we can actually do, which I think it is extremely cool, is Geocaching. For those who don't know what that is, Geocaching is a real-world outdoor treasure hunting game. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using GPS-enabled devices and then share their experiences in their website Geocaching.com (they have both free and paid membership)

What I like about it is that this caches are all over the place, including parks and other places over the city. This is awesome because after a good workout we can go walk around, find the caches, sign the log, and enjoy the adventure. What do you guys think?
  • MissVCI
    Options
    One of the activities we can actually do, which I think it is extremely cool, is Geocaching. For those who don't know what that is, Geocaching is a real-world outdoor treasure hunting game. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using GPS-enabled devices and then share their experiences in their website Geocaching.com (they have both free and paid membership)

What I like about it is that this caches are all over the place, including parks and other places over the city. This is awesome because after a good workout we can go walk around, find the caches, sign the log, and enjoy the adventure. What do you guys think?

this sounds cool!! Are the GPS-enabled devices things like smart phones and available on all types or do u need a fancy schmacy iphone or droid.
  • YassSpartan
    Options

this sounds cool!! Are the GPS-enabled devices things like smart phones and available on all types or do u need a fancy schmacy iphone or droid.

For this you either need a GPS device or any app for iPhone or droid that allows you to see longitude and latitude. I use a droid one (free) that gives me those details, since the caches are given in the website like that. For example, this is a screenshot of my cell exactly on the location of the cache I was looking for. Mind you, not because you're in that location you'll find it easy, they usually camouflage the containers to make it more exciting to find them and to avoid people who are not looking for them to see them.

This is one of the many caches located in the park I ride my bicycle, so I get to do more than one thing while I'm there. People sometimes go in groups to look for caches that are hard to find and outside of the city.

As you can see you need to see the degrees shown at the end of the image, that's what points to the exact location of the cache.
    2012-02-03171039-1.jpg
  • MissVCI
    Options
    cool, i'm know i'm young but i'm technology illiterate.
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This group sounds great but I'm actually in Miramar (south broward). Oleta River is probably the farthest park I want to drive to on a Sunday morning! I'm fine with most activities.
  • BigPapaGato
    Options

Look forthe lovebug cache in Kendall, BexRex and I hid it there.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Look forthe lovebug cache in Kendall, BexRex and I hid it there.

That's awesome you guys are part of it :D I'll add it to my list. I'm a new born in this.
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    This group sounds great but I'm actually in Miramar (south broward). Oleta River is probably the farthest park I want to drive to on a Sunday morning! I'm fine with most activities.

Awww bummer. I'll keep it in mind in case we do something up there :)
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The ideas are cool and I work graveyard shift till 6am on sundays but can make effort once a month only thing its I dont do much outdoor training since my workouts consist of mostly lifting weights but will gladly participate on this group's activities