Strength Training for Pole Fitness

Options
I have been eating right and doing cardio exercise for a few weeks now, but no weightlifting or anything like that. I would like to have a little strength training routine that I can do 3 days a week after about 30-40 mins of cardio. Do any of you have any ideas of a routine that I can do to get me ready to start pole fitness again? I have access to a gym at school so I can use equipment if necessary. School is keeping me too busy for much actual pole dancing at least for a few weeks, but I would like to enable myself to get a head start when I have more time...

Replies

• kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my most useful exercises are not weight lifting but calisthenics or body weight exercises. especially ones that build muscle endurance, like planks, pull ups , handstands.and pushups they have helped me a lot with pole.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Planks, pull-ups on the pole (or just pole holds), crunches, leg lifts, push-ups, push-ups tapping your opposite shoulder as you come up, knee lifts (grab the pole as if you're going to invert and lift the knees up and down. Easy? Do it with straight legs). No weights are necessary. I take pride in never needing to lift weights to become strong...

If you have weak legs and want to strengthen them up too, do lunges but never disengage the quads. Strengthen the hamstrings by doing caterpillars while upside down, once you're going upside down, that is.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters that body weight exercises are exceptionally useful. I don't think plow-overs have been mentioned, but if you do these in a slow controlled fashion, it is a good ab workout. Also, if you are in a gym, but don't have access to a pole, the "captains chair" (that you lean against and bring your legs up) if done in a slow controlled fashion can be a good way to work on inverts. All of that said, if you would like to add weights, I don't see a reason not to do this. I don't have a specific routine that you can do in half an hour to recommend, but bodybuilding.com and similar sites often have sample routines that you might find helpful.

On a personal note, I don't understand why one would be proud of not "needing" to lift weights to get strong. Personally, I think that becoming strong takes hard work and dedication no matter what method, or methods, you use--so one should be proud of strength no matter what, but I don't think one method should be privileged over another (with the exception of steroid use, which should probably be avoided since it can be detrimental to your overall health).
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've found using my own body weight the best exercise. I've been trying to get the extended butterfly and noticed my shoulders are weak so I do weights for my shoulders. I've gained back most of my strength by practicing on the pole.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    On a personal note, I don't understand why one would be proud of not "needing" to lift weights to get strong. Personally, I think that becoming strong takes hard work and dedication no matter what method, or methods, you use--so one should be proud of strength no matter what, but I don't think one method should be privileged over another (with the exception of steroid use, which should probably be avoided since it can be detrimental to your overall health).

You make a good point and I retract my previous comment!