Working Out

Options
Shayztar
Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
I will break the ice and start the first post. LOL

I put my little Bubs to sleep using the boob. I also find the best time to work out is when both kids are sleeping. However, my Bubs is 10 months old now and he really likes to wake up in the middle of his naps. He won't go back to sleep unless I BF him again!! Then I have to make the decision to stop working out and feed him to get another 30 minutes of working out, or letting him cry until I'm done. Am I alone in this?!?!

14839892.png

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Lol no you aren't that is so my little man too! (he is 9 months today) I'm LUCKY if I can be away from him for 30 minutes and he stays asleep lol
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not alone... my baby is 20 mos old now, and while that comes with it's own challenges, I'd have to say that aspect has improved! So some of that is just a matter of working around where you're at now, and just knowing that he won't always need you like that.

Some of the best mom-friendly workouts are split into 10 minute segments (or are easily broken up that way) because it's a really, really common situation. The Moms Into Fitness DVDs are good for that!

If you're doing workouts that *have* to be longer (like P90X or something) then that's trickier... but you might be able to take one of the planned water breaks to pause it and tend to your son, and then hop back in once he's settled. If you're doing a low-impact workout, like walking or modified aerobics, you can possibly wear him on your back in a soft carrier - it might keep him settled and content, and give you an extra intensity!

But things change pretty quickly, and what works now will stop working. And what doesn't work now might work really well in a few months.
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wish so badly that I could work out but with my tenth month old, I have little spare time. Since he has been teething, he will only sleep being held or in the bed with me...naps included. During the spare time I do have (when husband gets home in the evenings), I have to do school work...and I am barely able to keep up as is so I can't not do it when I have time away from baby. So I have been trying to figure out ways to exercise but so far, no luck. Boo! But anyway, you all are not alone!
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yay! Glad someone posted. I started this board but didn't know what to post 1st. My little mama is 21 mos and when she was going threw that must hold stage I would wear her in my baby carrier and do workouts that I could do with her attached. I also recommend putting the baby in the pack and play and letting them watch you it seems to really interest them. My daughter laughs at me.
  • Collinsky
    Options
    I wish so badly that I could work out but with my tenth month old, I have little spare time. Since he has been teething, he will only sleep being held or in the bed with me...naps included. During the spare time I do have (when husband gets home in the evenings), I have to do school work...and I am barely able to keep up as is so I can't not do it when I have time away from baby. So I have been trying to figure out ways to exercise but so far, no luck. Boo! But anyway, you all are not alone!

I highly recommend finding some ten-minute workouts you can do, because sometimes that's all you can manage! There are some workouts that in 10-12 minutes can burn what you burn in 30 minutes of doing the treadmill. They're intense, but they're over quick and they really change your body. BodyRock.tv does a lot of them -- check out the older workouts in the archives, because those use only bodyweight (instead of equipment).

But honestly, even if you can only do 25 squats in the morning, and 10 push ups at night before bed, that will affect change on your body without taking a lot of time out of your day.
  • dancin2011
    Options

I highly recommend finding some ten-minute workouts you can do, because sometimes that's all you can manage! There are some workouts that in 10-12 minutes can burn what you burn in 30 minutes of doing the treadmill. They're intense, but they're over quick and they really change your body. BodyRock.tv does a lot of them -- check out the older workouts in the archives, because those use only bodyweight (instead of equipment).

But honestly, even if you can only do 25 squats in the morning, and 10 push ups at night before bed, that will affect change on your body without taking a lot of time out of your day.

Thank you so much for this! I will have to check it out. I failed to mention that I have a minor knee injury however that doesn't totally limit me so I will check into it. I know I couldn't do squats or push ups with the weight on my knee but I could probably find something else. Thanks again!
  • mollyonamission
    Options
    I have a back pain for I literally feel your pain
  • Collinsky
    Options

Thank you so much for this! I will have to check it out. I failed to mention that I have a minor knee injury however that doesn't totally limit me so I will check into it. I know I couldn't do squats or push ups with the weight on my knee but I could probably find something else. Thanks again!

Knee injury does limit you - the last thing you want to do is make that worse! So your first priority is to take care of that, of course. Can you do modified squats? That's what my husband does (he just had knee surgery and it's not 100%, it's a long road sometimes) but he's often frustrated by workouts when he has to modify EVERYTHING. He'd like to get an elliptical for our home, because that's something he can do pretty easily. (Or walk on a treadmill, and he can also use a stair stepper. Stationary bikes are supposed to be good for knee recovery as well, as they work the joint, don't strain it laterally, and have the weight on the joint reduced.) Leslie Sansone does walking workouts that are very low impact, and they range from about 20 minutes to 45 minutes or so. If you can find any of those, I think they'll work for you well.
  • dancin2011
    Options

Knee injury does limit you - the last thing you want to do is make that worse! So your first priority is to take care of that, of course. Can you do modified squats? That's what my husband does (he just had knee surgery and it's not 100%, it's a long road sometimes) but he's often frustrated by workouts when he has to modify EVERYTHING. He'd like to get an elliptical for our home, because that's something he can do pretty easily. (Or walk on a treadmill, and he can also use a stair stepper. Stationary bikes are supposed to be good for knee recovery as well, as they work the joint, don't strain it laterally, and have the weight on the joint reduced.) Leslie Sansone does walking workouts that are very low impact, and they range from about 20 minutes to 45 minutes or so. If you can find any of those, I think they'll work for you well.

I appreciate your help and advice so much! Thank you! =)
  • nwolff84
    Options
    So here is a make you smile story. I was on the floor with bug while doing pilates. No big deal,right . Oh no he crawls to my side and proceeds to pull out the girls, while I was doing pelvic thust. Another reason to love being a mom! :laugh:
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have solved my problem for the time being! I figured out that my treadmill has a pause button! I "pen" the kids into the playroom in the basement, and since I have a clear view of them from the treadmill, I let them play and watch them. If someone gets knocked down and needs a kiss, then I pause the treadmill, give a kiss and a cookie or something, and then get back on! I even read the other day that minor interuptions while treadmilling is good for you because it mimics walking outside. Meaning stopping for cars, or slowing down for hills or passing other strollers. LOL

14839892.png
  • mollyonamission
    Options
    Great idea. I started the 30 day shred yesterday and was doing it in front of my 22 month old and everytime I stopped she would whine and try to get me to do it. Shes an excellent trainer.lol
  • ljm0521
    ljm0521 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The No Cry Sleep Solution book is amazing and could solve your sleep problems. I've been using the toddler and preschool version for my 3 year old. It's helped us so much.