MFP & online dating

pa_jorg
pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
I just started an Eharmony account several weeks ago. It's going ok, but I definitely haven't had any sparks yet. Does anyone else wish MFP had a dating component to it? Just seems that for most of us, this weight loss and fitness journey is such a huge part of our lives now and that could be a great way to bond as opposed to meeting random people online who might not understand how far we've come. Either way, how much do you really know about someone online anyway? But at least on a site like this you'd get more than just the age, height and how often someone smokes garbage... Just a thought.

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Nothing is stopping ya!! I'm sure it happens all the time on here..
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Sounds great to me!
  • pa_jorg
    Nothing is stopping ya!! I'm sure it happens all the time on here..

I just wish there was something more structured in place since I'm so new to and slightly intimidated by the online dating scene. I guess you're right though... haven't met any age-appropriate guys from the Boston area on MFP, but if any exist, point them in my direction, will ya? :blushing:
  • Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    I'm sure this goes on anyway without making it obvious. Friend people, get to know them, stuff happens.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    I'm sure this goes on anyway without making it obvious. Friend people, get to know them, stuff happens.

^^ This does happen. I witness this before here on MFP. TOO CUTE.

Hmmmm... But wasn't this group created for that purpose?? :tongue: Or at least it can be :flowerforyou:
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,268 Member
    Make an interested in dating group.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member

^^ This does happen. I witness this before here on MFP. TOO CUTE.

Hmmmm... But wasn't this group created for that purpose?? :tongue: Or at least it can be :flowerforyou:
    Kind of sort of. I just wanted to have my own group when groups were rolled out. :laugh:

In all seriousness...I did want to have a central area for singles to 'mingle' because you never know. After all, we all have fitness and MFP in common...what a great start when you're meeting someone! :flowerforyou:
  • Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    I think if the site was part dating site, you'd have lots of creepy people showing up just looking for action. You have a better chance finding a good person with the way things are now.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    I'm in :)
  • pa_jorg
    I think if the site was part dating site, you'd have lots of creepy people showing up just looking for action. You have a better chance finding a good person with the way things are now.

Very good point. Well, it was just a random thought on my part. Even asking the initial question was a little out of my comfort zone to be honest.
  • I'm in :)

lol!!! it figures!!! lol!!! :wink:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    It is not a singes thing or intended as a potential dating event but there is a MFP meet up planned in NYC on May 5th.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/436489-register-here
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    MFP can be just as good for dating as well as it is for weightloss. There's at least one common interest if both people are on here. Just have to look for the right people.. ;)
  • It is not a singes thing or intended as a potential dating event but there is a MFP meet up planned in NYC on May 5th.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/436489-register-here

Too bad I won't be able to join even if I wanted to because I live somewhere in the other side of the world & I'm penniless to even afford a plane ticket going there :(
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Not sure I would use such a module, since I'm getting to know people through the forums and through their blogs. I am really glad this site has a "singles" board, though, so thanks for setting it up!
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    I think it could happen
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    People on MFP, who just normally post seem to be a lot more themselves than people on dating sites are. I feel that way about myself, like I am who I am on here. On a dating site I think I would just try to show my best side, so I assume other people would too if it's in that type of format where you list out all your best points. You can have luck on both though. :smile:
  • chaubner008
    chaubner008 Posts: 32 Member
    Well, I'm totally in on that idea too! It would be great to find someone who is into their health like me...I'm not picky just wanna be happy...I know lots of ppl have dated from this site, it is a great place to find the like minded opposite sex. So, if anyone is put there I am super single ;) Lol kidding but not kidding.
  • I just started an Eharmony account several weeks ago. It's going ok, but I definitely haven't had any sparks yet. Does anyone else wish MFP had a dating component to it? Just seems that for most of us, this weight loss and fitness journey is such a huge part of our lives now and that could be a great way to bond as opposed to meeting random people online who might not understand how far we've come. Either way, how much do you really know about someone online anyway? But at least on a site like this you'd get more than just the age, height and how often someone smokes garbage... Just a thought.

I think it would be pretty cool if MFP had a dating portion to find people in your area.. or not even, because if you found someone who was distant from you I am sure things could possibly work. This isn't a totally absurd idea, because I am sure lots of people have thoughts about it.
  • I would be up for this, I am open to all avenues given how little contact I get with women in my professional field. Plus like others said, at least you are sure that you will share an interest with the other person which you can't quite get from dating sites where people might just put something they don't really like thinking it will get them messages.
  • I would be up for this, I am open to all avenues given how little contact I get with women in my professional field. Plus like others said, at least you are sure that you will share an interest with the other person which you can't quite get from dating sites where people might just put something they don't really like thinking it will get them messages.

I know where you're coming form! In my career as an elementary teacher where most are women, you don't meet many. and in actuality, I don't want to marry someone in the same field. too much already on my own!!! give me something new! lol!!!
  • I just started an Eharmony account several weeks ago. It's going ok, but I definitely haven't had any sparks yet. Does anyone else wish MFP had a dating component to it? Just seems that for most of us, this weight loss and fitness journey is such a huge part of our lives now and that could be a great way to bond as opposed to meeting random people online who might not understand how far we've come. Either way, how much do you really know about someone online anyway? But at least on a site like this you'd get more than just the age, height and how often someone smokes garbage... Just a thought.

I think it would be pretty cool if MFP had a dating portion to find people in your area.. or not even, because if you found someone who was distant from you I am sure things could possibly work. This isn't a totally absurd idea, because I am sure lots of people have thoughts about it.

I think you could probably start something here... there's also the in box or message thing here that people can just send you a message and not have it where everyone else can see... there's a bit of privacy here. :) I'm on POF and other sites too, but I've not invested (paid) in them... POF is free if there are those interested. I did meet someone, but he was transferred to MO. :sad: we still keep in touch...

I know where you're coming form! In my career as an elementary teacher where most are women, you don't meet many. and in actuality, I don't want to marry someone in the same field. too much already on my own!!! give me something new! lol!!!

Computer Science here, there is a reason people think of guys when they think of computer programmers lol.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Okay ... I admit it ... I have done a search through find members to see what would turn up in my area. Just was curious. :bigsmile:
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member

I think you're 100% right. We don't need the riff raff getting in the way of our weight loss! :)
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Okay ... I admit it ... I have done a search through find members to see what would turn up in my area. Just was curious. :bigsmile:

Oh you didn't!!!

(Wait, like that idea! lol)
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I like the idea. I've heard of MFP people meeting in real life and getting together, but I wouldn't even know how to begin. I would love to meet an MFP person, even just an MFP friends. I've added a few people here and there from my area, but I haven't been able to find many active in my area, especially not the dateable type.
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    ugh i would LOVE to meet someone on here that shared similar fitness and health goals as me :-/

moving to ann arbor in a few weeks... anyone from around there?
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    local singles forums, for each major city. then message. but still think mfp should not focus on dating but it's a good way to meet peeps.
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    I go to school for naturopathic medicine. It's 90% women. Doesn't help me because I'm looking for a man, but just FYI for some of you... Although, even most of my classmates are partnered up or married...

I tried plenty of fish for a couple weeks and got kind of creeped out and dropped it. It seemed like, wow there are so many single guys in my area, according to the site, but in the real world, it's like they don't exist or maybe some of them are married or partnered and are trying to cheat or something; or maybe they feel old like I do and are sitting home watching old movies and tv shows and not knowing how to meet someone which is how I feel.