New to Group

Options
izoom3
izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
I just found out about this group thing and am hopeing that it will help with my motivation. I'm only 54 but I feel about 80. This weight is killing my knees. I want to be able to move around and do things like I used to but when faced with a tempting treat lately the treat wins out. I'm determined to do better each day.

Replies

• ohtobslim
    ohtobslim Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi izoom3,

I have just joined this group today and also looking for motivation.

I have a sweet tooth and find it very hard not to have the odd chocolate when I want but started dieting on Sunday and have been sooooo good, just hope I can keep it up!

Good luck with the weight:smile: lose

Oh to b slim

15906219.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hey Zoom and OhToBe.. .nice to meet you.

There is so much help out there all I can do is share with you what is working for me in my almost (in two months) 55 year old body. For my sweet cravings and I have them, I finally won over them after drinking a specific herbal tea blend for a week straight. Now, when I get the craving and don't want to indulge, I reach for the tea instead. The tea blend is one caffeine-free nettle tea back with one caffeine-free "other natural tea herb" flavor of your choice. Brew those in hot water for 3 minutes and drink the whole thing before it gets cold. Don't add any sweetners to it, no honey, sugar or artifical sweetner. Guess what? After a few days, your cravings for sugary sweets will be well under control. If you aren't used to a more bittery natural taste, just stick with it. Your body will respond before your tonge and then you will love it. I got this tip from a high school girls coach who tried it with her teenagers - it's the only thing that got them off the sugar!

I'm currently reading a wonderful new book called "The Social Network Diet - Change Yourself, Change the World" by Miriam Nelson Phd and Jennifer Ackerman. It is so encouraging and uplifting, with great suggestions for changing just a couple of things in your environment that will push through the barriers in your quest for a healthier weight level. by developing both in-person and virtual supportive social networks.

Anyway, if those suggestions help or get the creative juices in your own hearts going, great. Hope you are both doing great today.

-Debra
  • ohtobslim
    ohtobslim Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi LastSixty, glad to meet you and thank's for the information. Wow you have done just great with your weight loss so far you must be very proud. I will certainly give the herbal drink ago. I may also add the book you mention to my list, which has just reminded me of a very good book I once read years ago called, "Stop the Insanity" by Susan Powter, I thought it was full of sensible advice and written in an extremely simple and motivating way, my daughter borrowed it some years ago (she probably think's I have forgotten) so I think I shall be asking for it back to read again to get on track with this healthier slimmer lifestyle I aim for.
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks last60 for the info. I definately will give the tea a shot. I'm off to Whole Foods tonight to see if I can get some! Sweets aren't that much of a problem except once in a while. I just plain love to eat. Anything. Not being hungry doesn't stop me. I think that it may have something to do with the way the family showed love when I was little...the first thing out of anyones mouth was "here let me get you something to nibble on". And the last was "i made it just for you". If I didn't eat I was guilted to death and didn't love them....Oh my...thats a breakthrough.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, too...just joined last night. I'm 55, and have struggled with weight all my life. In my early 30's I joined a popular weight loss club and did get down to a good weight, but put it back on plus over a few years. I've been keeping my BP under control with exercise, but it's time to lose the pounds. I thought I was doing okay, but have actually gained in the last couple of weeks, so obviously I need to keep track and this seems like a good place, plus it syncs to my iPad! As you all know, it becomes more difficult with age. The clincher was the call back from the doctor after having regular lab work done for a routine physical. Something's up...will find out Monday. It's all a little depressing, so I'm hoping that there's support here for me, and that I can provide some for others, too. So...70lbs would be ideal, but I'm going to start with a goal of 30. Does that sound reasonable?
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Marz.... 30 lbs sounds very reasonable.

As for the appetite, gosh, me too. I mean, it's amazing now that I actually get real hunger after a hard exercise routine and I need to eat! But it's all natural, you know? Not like it used to me when I'd eat just because I thought it was time or I was bored or suppose to or whatever.

Lovely meeting you ladies. Granddaughter needs some popcorn and hot chocolate right now. Night Night!

-Debra
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thank you LastSixty for the encouragement. And, by the way,congratulations... you have proven that this works, so any advice will be gratefully accepted. I have eaten well (lots of veggies, high fiber, very little packaged food, etc.) for a long time, but I have clearly eaten too much. I have decided to cut out all alcohol (love wine) for the time being and keep track of calories. My significant other is getting the idea that I'm going to do this, and do it my way. He could stand to lose a few pounds, but not like me.
    Thanks again.
    Can anyone give me some advice about other groups that would be helpful?
  • marciasauls
    marciasauls Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just joined this group today. Being over 50 (54) presents its challenges, doesn't it? In my younger days, I could lose weight SO much easier than now. It's a daily struggle anymore. But I've decided that THIS time is the time. I'm just shy of 6', weighing in at 213.5 (as of this morning), with a goal of 160. My "goal" is to lose 1 pound a week. Anything more is gravy. So far, down 6 pounds in 5 weeks.
  • msdizliz
    msdizliz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I am new here, l have struggled with my weight for some time now. l am a grandmother raising 4 grandchildren since the loss of my daughter in 2010. Part of the reason for a lot of my weight gain. I have let stress and depression rule my life and in the process have really packed on the weight. My back, knees and legs have really been bothering me. But last Sunday when l stepped on the scale and realise l had gained another 3lb in one day was my wake up call. I have 4 children who are relying on me to be around for them. So l kind of kicked myself in the butt and told myself it is time to get serious about losing the weight and getting healthy. Have signed up at the hospital fitness club and started my way back to good health Monday.
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm Christine. Have been on MFP for 6 weeks properly (much longer improperly!) and am happily losing around 1lb a week to get to my goal loss of between 50-60lbs. I'm a yoyo weight loser and have been at my goal weight so many times I've lost count. Every time I put it back on, a little bit more joins it till I was at my heaviest ever when I started on this site. It hasn't been helped by foot surgery and back surgery over the last couple of years, but I need to stop using those as an excuse now - it's got a bit old. Every other time I've lost, I've done it by cutting back majorly on everything and losing as fast as I could. This time, I'm doing it right - slow and steady, with a complete lifestyle change. Looking forward to being part of this group and giving and getting support. Oh, and I'm 62 and have had to revise my view that weight loss gets harder as you get older. If you do it properly, it really doesn't.
  • deedeewiita
    Options
    Hi Christine. I love this MFP. I have been on for a little over a month. I, too, have tried every crash diet out there and all I did was CRASH. Now I am counting calories and doing some exercising and feeling much better about myself. I am 61 and have one daughter and one son and 2 grandsons. Life is good and getting better. Good success to you in your weight loss.
  • ArleneMatches
    ArleneMatches Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody: I'm 72, live in South Surrey, BC and just joined Weight Watchers in January. I weighed in this morning and am down 11 pounds (HOORAY). I find that using MFP as well as tracking on WW has helped a lot. Also a big help is that my husband is also going to Weight Watchers with me. He is not computer-iiterate though so doesn't track online...instead preferring to log everything with his trusty pencil.

I started this journey at 207 pounds and would like to reach my goal of 150 by Christmas. However, there is a 3-week cruise in April and I hope I will be able to stay on track (at least, get a lot of exercise to offset the extra calories).

It's nice to find a site that includes others in my situation...you are all so inspirational. Thank you so much....

Good luck, everybody.