How often do you totally go off plan or splurge?

Options
QuakerMom
QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
My 4-yr old son's birthday is in two weeks, and i'm debating whether or not i should plan for a little controlled splurge and have some birthday cake, or just soldier on and let him and my hubby eat cake while I stick to my new no sugar- no grains lifestyle?
So far i haven't had a very hard time giving up sugar, and even went to a party last weekend with lots of tempting food and didn't touch anything except some fruit for dessert.

If you go off plan and indulge in something like a piece of cake on a special occasion, does it take you off course for longer than that one splurge? Or can you handle occasional splurges without getting derailed?

Okay, i think that's all my questions for the time being. :smile:

Replies

• kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    For me a splurge often leads to a bigger splurge which has the potential to last a while.

If you are new to primal/paleo and have had a carb addiction, I would recommend not doing the splurge until such time you have rid yourself of any gravings.

That said, if you know that you can absolutely stop after a slice and will be able to manage any cravings, enjoy it.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I splurge from time to time and am totally OK with it. I did last night for Valentine's Dinner in fact.
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did today for breakfast, and lunch a little bit. Just ended my 30 day paleo challenge yesterday. I though i "deserved" to splurge today so i got a mocha latte and croissant for breakfast and ate a couple cookies at work. I feel like i got hit over the head with something giant. My head is throbbing, having trouble focusing my eyes on anything, resting heart rate is in the 90's, sometimes I feel like I'm floating (no joke)....not good. I guess I am more sensitive to sugar and carbs than I thought I was. Now I know i'm not "giving up" foods on this diet, I'm eating what makes me feel good!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    How about making a cake you can enjoy with them and will be better for your family? http://www.simplycoconut.com/Coco Flour Recipes.pdf
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a square of dark chocolate (70%+ cacao) nearly every day and some wine a few times a week. Which is primal friendly but perhaps not to the extent of which I am consuming them. But it really keeps me in check and the desire to *really* splurge is not there. So I hope to make that a seldom event and just to keep myself from being a pain-in-the-butt guest at someone's house from time to time.

On Saturday I am making a killer spaghetti sauce to bring over to a friend and her family who was in a bad accident. It's a huge vat and there's enough for my family too. My husband and I decided we can just eat bowlfuls of the sauce minus the pasta (the sauce is boss!) I am just not inclined to dally off the lifestyle. I don't feel deprived at all.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    For me a splurge often leads to a bigger splurge which has the potential to last a while.

If you are new to primal/paleo and have had a carb addiction, I would recommend not doing the splurge until such time you have rid yourself of any gravings.

That said, if you know that you can absolutely stop after a slice and will be able to manage any cravings, enjoy it.

I agree. If you get really bad cravings then don't do it. One slice is all it takes for me. To this day, only one can send me in a downward spiral.

If you have great willpower and can do just one - go for it. But after - really listen to how your body feels after eating and digesting it.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a square of dark chocolate (70%+ cacao) nearly every day and some wine a few times a week. Which is primal friendly but perhaps not to the extent of which I am consuming them. But it really keeps me in check and the desire to *really* splurge is not there. So I hope to make that a seldom event and just to keep myself from being a pain-in-the-butt guest at someone's house from time to time.

On Saturday I am making a killer spaghetti sauce to bring over to a friend and her family who was in a bad accident. It's a huge vat and there's enough for my family too. My husband and I decided we can just eat bowlfuls of the sauce minus the pasta (the sauce is boss!) I am just not inclined to dally off the lifestyle. I don't feel deprived at all.

Have you tried spaghetti squash? Cut it in half and scrape out the seeds and pulp surrounding the seeds - drizzle the insdie with olive oil (poke holes in the rind) and sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper. Place facedown in a microwave safe dish and cook it for about 7-10 minutes (you know your microwave). Or you can put it in the oven and cook it but I don't know for how long. Then you just use a fork on the flesh. Makes a delicious "pasta". In fact, I just finished some leftovers from last night.

I've even put it over other vegetables like broccoli.
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm not all that into sweets, and the meat and cheese I've been eating has been so good I haven't missed bread and grains at all.

Except for beer. I'm a hard core beer geek and I built a culture around it. ( I do a beer show on youtube).

Cutting that out has been REALLY hard for me. So a splurge might be a few beers one night.

Currently I'm really trying to keep my carbs below 5% and for the last week the highest amount of carbs I've eaten is 28. I want to stay in ketosis for as long as possible to see how that affects my weight loss. So far I'm doing good and I want to avoid cheating.

I know I will have a splurge on thursday, 2/23 because I need to host a beer dinner/food pairing event, and I need to taste the beer and food to explain how they interact with each other. But even then I will still try to be really good and only have a little.

Good luck!
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spaghetti squash? Cut it in half and scrape out the seeds and pulp surrounding the seeds - drizzle the insdie with olive oil (poke holes in the rind) and sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper. Place facedown in a microwave safe dish and cook it for about 7-10 minutes (you know your microwave). Or you can put it in the oven and cook it but I don't know for how long. Then you just use a fork on the flesh. Makes a delicious "pasta". In fact, I just finished some leftovers from last night.

I've even put it over other vegetables like broccoli.

Maybe I'll try the spaghetti squash. My husband does not like cooked vegetables so he might not go for it. And I've done it over broccoli, and may do it again on Saturday, but I know he won't go for that. He's been choking down broccoli for years out of love for me and finally he put his fork down and said, "I won't do it anymore."

Then I showed him a recent Mark Sisson blog post about sulfer-rich vegetables and he's reluctantly wiling to consider choking them down again.

Love is eating food you despise because a person loves you enough to want you to be around for a long, long time. Awww!
  • QuakerMom
    Options
    How about making a cake you can enjoy with them and will be better for your family? http://www.simplycoconut.com/Coco Flour Recipes.pdf

Thanks for the link. I thought about this option, and may try it. But the 4-yr old has some very specific expectations regarding what his birthday will bring, and I'm not sure it's worth rocking that boat. Might delay it for another occasion.
  • QuakerMom
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Good comments all.
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Btw, I thought this article from one of my favorite blogs addresses your question well.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2010/1/13/smoking-candy-cigarettes.html
  • QuakerMom
    Options
    Btw, I thought this article from one of my favorite blogs addresses your question well.

Awesome post! Lots of food for thought. :)
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't ever go off Primal when it comes to grains and sugar and processed foods. I am an addict, and I have what I believe is a very healthy fear of relapse.

Plus, as others have mentioned, I enjoy the way I eat now so much that I'm not even missing the taste of the things that I used to think that I could never live without. And I *feel* so good - why would I mess with that?

My birthday was last weekend, and then Valentine's Day. 3 birthday dinners - no grains, no cake. We did dark-chocolate covered strawberries and I made a recipe off nomnompaleo for dark chocolate truffles for my big party, but no cake or grains in the meals at all. And when my boyfriend ordered a warm brownie for dessert at our Valentine's dinner (which I encouraged him to do - just because I don't eat it doesn't mean that he shouldn't if he wants to), and when it arrived at the table, I just inhaled a whiff, thought, "Yeah, I know that would taste good for the second that it was in my mouth, but how does that compare to feeling GREAT every second of every day?", and had no problem with it.

That being said, everyone must find their own path, and a way with which they're comfortable living for the long term. For me, that means no going off plan, but for others, it may mean an occasional splurge. My advice: If you have any doubt at all about being able to splurge just once without it derailing your progress, then I would say wait until you feel more settled in the Primal/Paleo lifestyle.

:)
    Amy
  • KMAMinx13
    KMAMinx13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. Good stuff!
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    And when my boyfriend ordered a warm brownie for dessert at our Valentine's dinner (which I encouraged him to do - just because I don't eat it doesn't mean that he shouldn't if he wants to), and when it arrived at the table, I just inhaled a whiff, thought, "Yeah, I know that would taste good for the second that it was in my mouth, but how does that compare to feeling GREAT every second of every day?", and had no problem with it.

I really relate to all of your post- I'm a recovering carb addict too! But this bit especially, because I had half a chocolate dessert thing on Valentine's night. It didn't trigger any cravings, but I now weigh several pounds more than I did last weekend.

There's just no wiggle room for me, I have to be 100%. Too many years of too many processed carbs have taken their toll. The dessert was nice, but you're right- once the addiction has gone, it just isn't worth it. Congratulations on your weight loss and for your willpower! Mine needs a bit of improvement, clearly.
  • Smonks00
    Options
    My 4-yr old son's birthday is in two weeks, and i'm debating whether or not i should plan for a little controlled splurge and have some birthday cake, or just soldier on and let him and my hubby eat cake while I stick to my new no sugar- no grains lifestyle?
    So far i haven't had a very hard time giving up sugar, and even went to a party last weekend with lots of tempting food and didn't touch anything except some fruit for dessert.

If you go off plan and indulge in something like a piece of cake on a special occasion, does it take you off course for longer than that one splurge? Or can you handle occasional splurges without getting derailed?

Okay, i think that's all my questions for the time being. :smile:
    well whats good for you is goor for your family as well. i would suggest getting a cake mix from Elanaspantry.com or whitelionbaking.com (both are great) and and topping it with whipped made from coconut milk and fresh berries. that way you are not feeding you loved ones all those gut irritating items and you can enjoy the party also
  • QuakerMom
    Options
    Thanks!
    The second website (White Lion) is temporarily on hiatus according to their website. But these look like great recipes and alternatives. I'll definitely check them out.