Question Re: exercise on other days

Options
Tara4boys
Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
Trying to figure out my exercise schedule...

There is a class at my gym, Les Mills Body Pump, that I really like. I hate to "give it up". The class uses barbells and does total body workout with them. The barbells are light though - the bar itself weighs hardly anything and then the for squats I use 20-25bs. And we do TONS of reps - like we will listen to an entire song and do squat variations the entire song (2-3 minutes). I usually work hard and am sore the day after.

So I'm thinking about going to class once and doing NROL 2x per week instead of 3x per week. Whatcha think?

I'm afraid it would be too much to do NROL and Body Pump on consecutive days.

Replies

• Tara4boys
    Options
    Another question... what do you think about lifting and spinning in same day (45 minute class)?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You're correct, doing NROL4W and Body Pump (as you described it) on consecutive days is too much.

If you don't want to give up your class, then don't. If you don't want to follow the book as the authors intended (3x per week), then don't.

Reread chapter 12. It specifically answers your questions about "extra stuff to do."
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    DOn't do both, that's way too much lifting. You're body will not heal itself, and you will most likely get burnt out and/or injured. If you like the Les Mills, why not try one of their other classes? If you are partial to the teacher, maybe she is she teaches any other classes that aren't weight lifting. I do NROL4W 3x per week, and Les Mills Body Attack 2x per week. Body Attack is just cardio and I've been able to keep that routine up fine.

I also did Body Pump before starting the New Rules, but I like New Rules much better now. Also, I know Pump was good for me, but I got absolutely no results. With this program, I've finally lost inches even though I'm eating more.
  • Tara4boys
    Options

I also did Body Pump before starting the New Rules, but I like New Rules much better now. Also, I know Pump was good for me, but I got absolutely no results. With this program, I've finally lost inches even though I'm eating more.

Inches!!! That's what I'm gunning for!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post and responses as yall have asked and answered my question as well.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same predicament- I love Pump too but the days it takes place just didn't work with the lifting as obviously you can't do it on the same day, nor on the day after as it would be too much, and it's kind of worked out that I am doing the lifting 3-4 times a week or every other day.

I do Spin or Zumba sometimes on the same day or on the next day as that is just cardio with no strength involved and don't think it could do any harm. Also I think you have a week "off" between Stage One and Two so I think in that week I am going to do a bit of Pump but no heavy lifting (when I get there that is!)
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i did my stage 2 workout with the intention of rowing afterwards. I gave the workout my all and by the end i could not get up off the mat nor walk quickly back to work from the gym. I have no idea how one would manage both in the same day. Today i ache all over and had planned some cardio but am swapping it for a long walk instead.
  • Tara4boys
    Options
    Thanks so much y'all. I like the idea doing 1-2 classes of Body Pump on my off weeks. Use light weights and still get to see my friends. I also love the music and the hottie instructor :smooched:
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I take a stability ball class which I LOVE and we use light hand weights and body bars. I intentionally plan my NROL4W days on the same day as that class so I get all my strength training in on one day and have the days in between for rest and recovery. The weights we use in my class is nowhere near as heavy as I use on NROL4W and I've actually decreased the amount of weight I use in class just so I don't totally overdo it. I love, love, love the core stuff we do on the ball though so I can't give it up :)

Of course that may change as I get farther into the program and start lifting heavier weights......
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Some opinions for consideration.

** Regarding Cardio exercises **

NROL4W pg 125:

"Doing intervals, or even some modest endurance exercise, could be beneficial. But it could just as easily interfere with your recovery from the weight workouts. Or you could experience anything in between. There are no rules that apply to every woman, so you have to rely on knowledge of your body and exercise history, along with trial and error, to figure out how much nonlifting activity - if you choose to do any at all - works best for you".

I have years of endurance sports activities (running, rowing, cycling, swimming, etc.), so I can easily work in cardio exercises (steady state, but also intervals sometimes if I'm up for it), although I know I can't train for a marathon right now if I'm lifting heavy 2 - 3 times a week.

Everyone needs to make their own assessment and go by how their body feels. This book is written for the lowest common denominator and if you don't already have a lot of cardio fitness/stamina, the author is suggesting you may not be able to do both and if you have to cut back on something, it should be cardio. If you feel good, iIdon't think you need to avoid cardio because it is good for fitness and the additional calorie burn also helps if you have extra weight to lose.

** Regarding Resistance Workouts **

I personally like doing strength metabolic (HIIT) workouts 1 day/week, in addition to 2x/week NROL4W lifting workouts. My metabolic workouts usually involve kettlebells, TRX body weight moves, core exercises, some dumbells, etc with cardio intervals at high intensity.

I don't see anything wrong with working in an alternate resistance workout, but I personally would do it in place of the 3rd NROL4W workout. I'm in my 40's and find I can no longer skimp on recovery like I used to be able to do when I was younger. :smile:

I think it is important that we ENJOY our workouts. If you love a long run, a spin class, a body pump class, crossfit, etc., I think there is a safe way to work them in. Just make sure you are really listening to your body and not pushing yourself significantly beyond your fitness level. This is all about making permanent lifestyle changes, not necessarily just rigidly following a program for X weeks in a book, right?

Keep a log that tracks how you feel in addition to your workouts and make adjustments if you feel you are over training. Give heavy lifting your priority if you need to cut back, if that is consistent with your goals. Don't neglect sleep, nutrition, moderate alcohol consumption, stress, stretching, etc. All important pieces of the puzzle to help with recovery and building our fitness and muscle base.

Keep up the excellent work ladies! I'm deeply inspired by this community of such strong, capable and dedicated women :flowerforyou:
  • bxbutterfly
    bxbutterfly Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the OP for this question. i just started a body sculpting class but we work arms one day and legs the other. since i just got the book toay i'm going to read and see what i should do.
  • Tara4boys
    Options
    Some opinions for consideration.

** Regarding Cardio exercises **

NROL4W pg 125:

** Regarding Resistance Workouts **

I personally like doing strength metabolic (HIIT) workouts 1 day/week, in addition to 2x/week NROL4W lifting workouts. My metabolic workouts usually involve kettlebells, TRX body weight moves, core exercises, some dumbells, etc with cardio intervals at high intensity.

I don't see anything wrong with working in an alternate resistance workout, but I personally would do it in place of the 3rd NROL4W workout. I'm in my 40's and find I can no longer skimp on recovery like I used to be able to do when I was younger. :smile:

I think it is important that we ENJOY our workouts. If you love a long run, a spin class, a body pump class, crossfit, etc., I think there is a safe way to work them in. Just make sure you are really listening to your body and not pushing yourself significantly beyond your fitness level. This is all about making permanent lifestyle changes, not necessarily just rigidly following a program for X weeks in a book, right?

Keep a log that tracks how you feel in addition to your workouts and make adjustments if you feel you are over training. Give heavy lifting your priority if you need to cut back, if that is consistent with your goals. Don't neglect sleep, nutrition, moderate alcohol consumption, stress, stretching, etc. All important pieces of the puzzle to help with recovery and building our fitness and muscle base.

Keep up the excellent work ladies! I'm deeply inspired by this community of such strong, capable and dedicated women :flowerforyou:

THANK YOU!!! I totally missed this in the book. I read a different section that mentioned "other days" but it was very wishy washy and seemed to apply more to cardio stuff".
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So doing "Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred" on non-lifting days might be overkill?