IBS from fibromyalgia!

Options
i found that i tend to suffer from the darker side of IBS, the "RUNS", if i drink whole milk, drink fruit juice or some fruit. i love fruit juice, fruit and whole milk. but i have had to down grade myself to 2% or 1% to have not have the runs. i drink more than an 8oz glass of any kind of fruit juice (grape & apple/berry mixes are the worst) i end up "sh*tting pretty most of the night and in agony. any suggestions of ways to still enjoy my fruits and fruit juices? also does anybody know if having the runs actually helps you lose a few pounds? i would like to think that if i have to put up with this permanently as part of my fibromyalgia that at least it helps me in the long run. i certainly will NEVER have to worry about having a clean colin. lol!!!

Replies

• hsmithway
    Options
    I've been pretty lucky in that area, but my mother suffers from IBS. Though it seems counter-intuitive, the one thing that's helped her the most when it comes to avoiding the runs is drinking plenty of water.

I think orange juice and popcorn still do her in, though, so she doesn't drink/eat much of either. She can eat those tiny clementine oranges, though.
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    I had my gall bladder and a stomach tumor removed years ago and right after that I got IBS and FM. Does anyone else know why they got or what caused them to get IBS?
  • hsmithway
    Options
    Does anyone else know why they got or what caused them to get IBS?

In my mother's case, it's most likely because she has an extra-long colon with a bit of an extra curve to it. She didn't find that out until her first colonoscopy but she had symptoms even as a kid, so it's probably something she was born with.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    i think i was born with mine also and so is my daughter. both of us suffer from it. i think in our case it was heredity. it could also be all the poisons in our diet. i did my best to change that, but by the time i realized the damage was done and all i could do was try to keep her on a good, healthy and pure diet. at least we have raised my grandson as good as we could and he is pretty healthy. he just inherited his uncle's (my son's) ADHD and some learning disabilities that his uncle has too.
  • itreycee
    Options
    I got my IBS after my gallbladder was removed....it was horrible...I finally found a Doc who got me drinking this powder once a day that keeps me from having episodes at all....I just have to drink it the rest of my life. But it changed my life, I no longer have to worry about going out to eat or being close to a bathroom. It really gave me my life back. It's called Cholestyramine Oral Suspension. It's actually used for Cholesterol but it's not very good for that but it's awesome for my condition.
  • Pauline745
    Pauline745 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I have IBS, but I have symptoms. I go from having gas to almost the runs, to literally having the runs and then constipation. I'm regular though, but the consistency changes often....wow....what a topic hey? lol But it affects our lives. In a way, I don't want to go find out because I have too many health problems to start with and I'm only 46! But, if I do have it, it would help to find out exactly what I can do to help myself. It just gets very overwhelming to have to watch for so many things.

Pauline :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder and a stomach tumor removed years ago and right after that I got IBS and FM. Does anyone else know why they got or what caused them to get IBS?

I've had it since I was a kid, off and on, but after my gallbladder removal, it got so much worse. It's due to bile dumping, since the gallbladder is no longer there to regulate bile flow. I would give anything to go back in time and try to save my gallbladder. I certainly do miss it!

Oh, it's never helped with weight loss. Sorry. lol
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    i think i was born with mine also and so is my daughter. both of us suffer from it.

sorry about this but my fibro brain put down that my daughter has the IBS. no she doesn't thank the goddess. she just has the fibro so far. but i have suffered from the IBS from my early 20's for sure. i was always gassy as a child tho.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    It's called Cholestyramine Oral Suspension. It's actually used for Cholesterol but it's not very good for that but it's awesome for my condition.

i will have to check this out. because no matter what i drink or eat i get the runs, gas and pain. even when i'm sick and can only keep down water i get it. as for ever getting rid of my gall bladder FORGET IT. thanx for the tip tho.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    .wow....what a topic hey? lol But it affects our lives. In a way,

yes, it very much affects our lives. if i know what causes it or if others with fibro have it also, i can understand and treat it better. thanx for commenting. it's appreciated!!!
  • KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to have very bad IBS and acid reflux. I now take 1 or 2 tablets of Ranitidine a day when they flairs up. At first I had to take it every day. Once I got it under control I was able to take it as needed. Hope this helps. It is very inexpensive and can be gotten over the counter. If you have insurance that will cover it doctors will write a prescription for it as well.
  • Dixietrink82
    Dixietrink82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love this topic. I've had Fibromyalgia since I was a kid (diagnosed at 8) and the worst part is the IBS! I thought that going from diarrhea to constipation until I told my doctor about it. I went twenty years with it until officially diagnosed this winter. I've been keeping a food diary to track what triggers the diarrhea, and so far it seems that if I stay away from junk and fast food I get better. Its so easy to feel alone because this isn't something that we talk about on a daily basis. I hate complaining about my pains and aches to friends or family, especially explaining why I always seem to have an "upset tummy". It's nice to have other people who understand. <3
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have IBS as well. It makes sense since FMS is a inflammatory disease that it could also affect the bowels and digestion. Orange juice is a bad one for me. Anything really sugary, especially ice cream is bad for me too. I've also had my gallbladder removed. My IBS has improved since then. Or maybe I'm just more cautious about putting fatty foods in my body.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    I used to have very bad IBS and acid reflux. I now take 1 or 2 tablets of Ranitidine a day when they flairs up. At first I had to take it every day. Once I got it under control I was able to take it as needed. Hope this helps. It is very inexpensive and can be gotten over the counter. If you have insurance that will cover it doctors will write a prescription for it as well.

i also take ranitidine daily, but have found that i don't get the acid indigestion as much anymore since i started eating more salads i have gone down to only having to take it once a week. which is a big deal. i had my dr give me some loperimide for the diarrhea and that is helping. but i'm thinking of trying some lactaid for the milk i drink. so diet probably is a big factor in it! thanx for the tip!
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    I'm not sure if I have IBS, but I have symptoms. I go from having gas to almost the runs, to literally having the runs and then constipation. I'm regular though, but the consistency changes often....wow....what a topic hey? lol But it affects our lives. In a way, I don't want to go find out because I have too many health problems to start with and I'm only 46! But, if I do have it, it would help to find out exactly what I can do to help myself. It just gets very overwhelming to have to watch for so many things.

Pauline :flowerforyou:

i have been very lucky i do NOT suffer from constipation very much. but yes the consistency changes a lot on a daily basis. i found diet change and diarrhea meds really help. this just since i wrote this query post.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    I love this topic. I've had Fibromyalgia since I was a kid (diagnosed at 8) and the worst part is the IBS! I thought that going from diarrhea to constipation until I told my doctor about it. I went twenty years with it until officially diagnosed this winter. I've been keeping a food diary to track what triggers the diarrhea, and so far it seems that if I stay away from junk and fast food I get better. Its so easy to feel alone because this isn't something that we talk about on a daily basis. I hate complaining about my pains and aches to friends or family, especially explaining why I always seem to have an "upset tummy". It's nice to have other people who understand. <3

yes, i think the worst part is feeling alone. ppl can just run out of their house after they eat without a problem. me, i have to go to the bathroom and the gas can be horribly loud and obnoxious (that HASN'T changed with my better diet). if i could convert my methane into usable gas for the car i would never run out of fuel. i would make the oil companies pour. just stick my *kitten* up to it and fill it. lol! another fun thing is having to make sure your just farting and not making a mess in your pants. not to mention the pain internally and externally that we go through. it's horrible! i think i could live with the fibro (and i'm doing pretty good with it now) better if i didn't have the IBS with it. sux!!!
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    is this over the counter or do you have to have a prescription?
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    is this over the counter or do you have to have a prescription?

which meds? ranitidine can be with a Rx if you have insurance. but you can also get it over the counter as zantac 75 or 150. i take 150. if you get store brand it's even cheaper.
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    the cholestyramine oral suspension?:laugh:
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It sounds counter intuitive but try taking some sort of soluble fiber like Benefiber in the juice. I have been adding it to my green sun tea and it has helped me. If you prefer a tablet Fiber Con is recommended for IBS, Calcium polycarbophi is the active ingredient. Walmart has a house brand of it now.