After the race blues...

So I'm having some blues after my first half marathon this last weekend. It was AMAZING! I loved every second of it and am super proud of my time (I had a goal of 2:30 and a "wouldn't it be awesome but I don't think I can achieve" goal of 2:15. My time was 2:12:22!! And probably could have been lower if I hadn't held myself back for 10 miles!). I loved running it but now am kinda feeling the blues. I'm guessing it's because I have been training for over 4 months to run this one race and now that its over and I haven't signed up for another I'm feeling a sense of loss. Is this normal to have post-race blahs? Time to focus on my next goal of Turbo Fire.... but I loved racing so much - nothing compares to that feeling during a race!

Replies

• Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    YES I felt that way after my half marathon last year! Simple solution...Sign up for another Race! ;)
  • seesaey
    seesaey Posts: 231
    I'm going to sign up for another one soon I hope, the ones around here are just so pricey! Trying to find one that will be worth it ;)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    At this point, I can get about 4 days of "post glow" out of a half marathon. A marathon is worth a week and half or so of post glow.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Girl I'm running my first half in 3 weeks and already looking for one to do in Aug or Sept. We just have to keep chasing the dragon! ;-)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    A friend of mine says it's about your endorphins being all out of whack. I guess that makes it a runner's high on steroids? I've got a few good days of pure joy after a race, then the inevitable crash. The longer the race, the longer the high and the worse the crash. When I get my act together, it's all about getting that next race set in place and the training started again. The very best way to get over the blues is to get back to training.

Oh, and congratulations!!! A nice race indeed.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I don't get the blues, actually it's quite the opposite - I get super excited and want to sign up for 4 more races!

I do notice though, that my training is much less disciplined when I'm not scheduled for a race. Solution? I keep a calender full with races :)
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    I do! I just have planned 4 races spread throughout the year, always a target to focus on!

Also, well done with your time
  • BKR1977
    BKR1977 Posts: 43 Member
    I notice the blues the week after the race. I attribute it to Delayed On Set of muscle soreness, not working out for a couple days, and just plain fatigue. Wife just calls me grumpy.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Well done on your time! that's awesome. you must be really proud of yourself.

ikwym about the post race blues. personally i think it has something to do with the fact that the thing that you spent all of that time focussing on and training for is now done! and the only way to fix that is by signing up for more, and to keep on having things to drive you to train well and achieve.

i have my first marathon in april- i'm already planning what to go for after that! if i don't have anything in the pipeline, life overtakes and training takes a back seat.