Options
Im new here but not new to GBS. I went through all the testing and appointments when i was 18 but the night before surgery i chickened out. I realize now that i wasnt...mentally ready so in some aspects im glad i didnt do it then, but then there are parts of my brain thats like your stupid for chickening out.
Anyway im going to be meeting with a surgent so to get the ball rolling again. (sorry for spelling errors im dislexic) my dr's office (family dr Rachel) has not called to let me know when my appointment is but she has been through the lap band surgery so she TOTALLY supports me. Though im not getting the lap band, id be getting the little pouch. (What i want and what she thinks would be best)
So im here to talk to ppl pre and post to help with any questions or concerns i might have, and to comiserate with while on the journy.

Also im 27yrs, and 362lbs.

Thanks Lisa

Replies

• risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, Welcome to our ever growing group of pre/post surgery people and wannabes.
    Currently I am almost 4 weeks post bypass. Seemed like yesterday. Time certainly has flown. I agree, all circuits need to be ready for surgery. I knew I wanted the bypass for years, but when I was ready - I went thru the 6mo process and finally completed it. Now I am relearning how to eat. That's been the hardest part. My brain needs retraining and it's a daily process.

Be sure to post questions and comments. Then check back for answers/ suggestions/comments.
    Welcome.

Christine
  • sonnyorlin
    sonnyorlin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Sonny and I'm 3.5 years post surgery. I have the lap band. I can tell you that it's not easy. I lost a total of 170lbs, quickly! That includes 80lbs before the surgery. I got cocky, started skipping the gym, eating things I knew I shouldn't. My advice is that the surgery is only a tool, not a cure. Use it as a tool.
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lisa! I had the Gastric Sleeve on Wednesday of last week, and feel great! I was off pain meds with in 48 hours of surgery. Best advice I would have is follow doctors orders. That include pre-op diet, getting off carbonated drinks, make your environment clean, and walking within 2 hours of surgery.

I look forward to getting to know you better!

Lisa
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am almost 7 weeks post op from having the sleeve done. I know what you are going thru. I started the process 2 other times and the 3rd time is the charm! I am so glad that I had it done. If you need anything just let us know. We are all here for you
  • KennyPollard
    KennyPollard Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Sonny and I'm 3.5 years post surgery. I have the lap band. I can tell you that it's not easy. I lost a total of 170lbs, quickly! That includes 80lbs before the surgery. I got cocky, started skipping the gym, eating things I knew I shouldn't. My advice is that the surgery is only a tool, not a cure. Use it as a tool.

Agree 100%. it's funny how once you learn to fool the band, it becomes easier and easier...
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi and WELCOME, I just joined a few weeks back, and my surgery is scheduled for March 14th and I am PUMPED, my starting weight was 245, then gained due to a unplanned surgery and being lazy and that put me at 252 now a month after I found out that weight I am 232, hard work and dedication. You can do this.the hardest part for me was giving up diet pepsi, and I am still drinking it, but I am almost down to 0 a day, right now I drink one as opposed to 4-5 a day, I know insane right?

Glad you are here.

Mary
  • lobang
    lobang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I will be 11 weeks post surgery tomorrow from having band surgery. I am 46 lbs. down! I have started the process before too but have put it on the back burner thinking........I can do this myself. Well, I finally decided I couldn't do it without the band. I'm SOOOO happy I had it done! Its a tool to help you. If you need a friend add me, I'll help in any way I can!