Warm-Up

Options
Sp1nGoddess
Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
Do you do a warm up before you hit the ice? I do a warm up I adapted from a SK8STRONG DVD. Skip, jog back, walking lunge, jog back, leg kicks, jog back, ham stretch, jog back... etc. As I get older I find that I really have to warm up before skating and stretch after. I'm only a Freestyle 2/ Pre-Bronze skater and feel dorky warming up... but if I don't - I don't skate as well and hurt later. I also stretch after if I have time while my muscles are warm...nothing like a crazy lady doing yoga in the lobby!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I wonder if this would help me. I don't do much by way of warm-up off ice. I stretch before. Then warm up with crossover patterns. I'm probably at the same skating level as you, although I haven't tested. How long do you warm up off ice for?
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options
    Usually ten minutes or so. Once i break a sweat i lace up. I only do dynamic stretches first and static after. I also do a few dry land jumps per coaches orders. When jumping....
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't warm up off-ice but have a firm on-ice warm up ritual. It used to get me weird looks but now my team either accepts it or assumes it is a "Canadian thing."

I do a lap of skiing, a lap of deep outside cross-rolls, a lap of pressed inside edges and a slow lap of russian stroking before going full out crossovers. Then repeat for backwards. If I don't do this, my knees feel stiff. Ah, getting old sucks....
  • Qarol
    Options
    I think I can envision what the skiiing looks like, pretty sure I know what cross rolls are. Not quite sure about pressed inside edges, and I sure as heck don't know what russian stroking is. Wow!
  • toadiejones
    Options
    hahaha! Maybe they are Canadian terms? Or it's a sign of how old-school I am! Figures, yo! LOL!

Pressed inside edges is where you sit onto an inside edge and slide the free leg in front. Meaning you are not using the free leg to push...the edge is what maintains the speed. And russian stroking is simply crossover/hold/crossover/hold...the standard crossover pattern. Never really understood why it was referred to a russian stroking.

Now that I am thinking about it, do americans call crossover/warm-up/etc stroking? I don't think anyone on my team has ever called it that. Weird. It's like when I moved down here and people kept talking about "ice cuts" - What the frick is an ice cut? Oh! You mean a "flood" - Funny how there are just slight language differences between Canada and US. You'd think tv would have standardized us all!
  • Qarol
    Options
    Ah figures. I started skating in the early 90s, when patch was on its way out. And back then, I was more concerned with tricks than pesky basics. Now, as an adult skater, I'm more interested in MIF.

So those pressed inside edges...sounds to me like basic inside edges. But one still has to initially push, right? And standard crossovers...I got you. I work on those a lot...to make them pretty and keep with a certain time. The underpush is what I'm trying to master. Especially for forward crossovers.

I'm not sure I'm an expert, but crossovers are not stroking. Simple stroking is just starting from a T and pushing forward on a slight angle, over and over. At least, my coach has me working on that...for speed building. And keeping my knees bent.

And I got no clue what an ice cut is. Or a flood. what what?
  • toadiejones
    Options
    Figures were my specialty growing up. Loved it. Sometimes I still fool around with them...and fail miserably in my freestyle blades. Ha! As for the tricks, I did enough to get my Gold test but was never gutsy enough to be a true jumper. Now in my late 30's, I can't even remember the last time I tried a single axel let alone a double. Had to do a flying camel for synchro this year and that is as much air as I get nowadays!

Pressed inside edges are different than regular inside edges. When doing inside edges, your pushing foot would extend behind your body before going forwards. On a pressed inside edge, you shift weight onto the skating foot and the free foot literally slides to extend in front. There is no push. The press on the edge is where the speed comes from. Kind of how you would do power pulls from a stand still? Wow, I'm bad at explaining things now...

In Canada, stroking is what we call all crossover/speed/endurance training. There is often a 15 or 30 min group stroking class before or after a freestyle (known as freeskate in Canada) session. Working on a basic T stroke would be considered part of it.

As for ice cut/ice clean/flood etc, that is the ice resurfacing. Zamboni time. What do you call it? I wonder how many terms it has....
  • Qarol
    Options
    Thanks! I'm sure you're explaining it well. I'm just a visual person and having trouble visualizing those pressed inside edges. They sound fascinating, though. I wish I could see it in action.

uhh, yea, axels? Years ago, I could do one with a two foot landing. That's about as far as I got. I do attempt a few jumps here and there. My toe loop and salchow are decent again. The flip, which WAS my favorite jump, is not so good. I haven't even bothered to attempt a loop or lutz in years.

I also haven't attempted a camel in years. I used to love doing a donut. That was fun. But I'm still trying to get my scratch back to its former glory. Flying camels may not ever happen in my lifetime. First, I'd kind of have to learn a back camel.

Oh OK, I've heard cutting the ice for zamboni. I usually just refer to it as resurfacing. I thought you were talking about another skating move. derp.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options
    We have a stroking class at my rink, focus is speed and endurance. Our skating program director is Canadian - she was an ice dancer. I take an adult stroking class which is a mini version and involves skating patterns and turns. We do edge pulls, crossovers, mohawk patterns, double 3's. I'm terrible at it but it's a great class!

I always start my sessions doing skiing I guess but did not know that's what it's called... I skate a lap on both feet but I don't do a very deep curve, then I do the cross over pattern, then switch to back cross overs then I do power 3's. (3 turn/step wide, cross over) Then I love to do a figure eight, RFO, LFO, LFI, RFI. I want to learn figures, you can still test for them but it costs more.
  • mariannejj108
    Options
    Hey all! I have actually started to to my warm-up routine in the past year or so (Getting older puts things in perspective... :)) Mostly, because if you do a lot of jumping, figure skating does really strain your body, I'm not so sure that it's always a healthy choose for a sport. :P Depends on what you do on ice, naturally! I do a routine where I bike to the rink, warm up with jogs, forward, backwards, crossovers and some dynamic exercises for the back/core. It's actually really good, I don't get as much pain in my knees/back, and sometimes I actually feel like I do better on the ice. Maybe that's placebo... But hey, if it works it works. :P I would honestly recommend it highly to anyone figure skating and especially adult skaters, it's so important to get your HR up and joins/ligamens warm before stepping on the ice. And for me, I sometimes get painfully aware that the joints/ligaments are not as soft and heal as well as they used to...