To the single dads

Options
2»

Replies

• lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have no bias against dating single dads...I just stress out about meeting their kids because I'm really never around kids and don't know how to act or talk to them. I went out with a guy who wanted to bring his kids on our third date and I broke it off because that seemed like a lot of pressure on me. Suddenly a date turns into a panel interview! I'm curious how people handle meeting and interacting with the kids?

For me this would be way too soon. My kids have already had one major loss in their lives, I would do anything to ensure they don't face repeated loss of others they care about. They bond really quickly. I wouldn't introduce someone else into their lives unless I was fairly sure the relationship was going to last.

This does present difficulties when dating. Effectively it means I lead a double life. And the guy has to be content with being on the fringes of the family, but also ok with being part of a family eventually. Single dads often share these concerns which is why I prefer to date guys with kids, but it still makes things complicated.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have no bias against dating single dads...I just stress out about meeting their kids because I'm really never around kids and don't know how to act or talk to them. I went out with a guy who wanted to bring his kids on our third date and I broke it off because that seemed like a lot of pressure on me. Suddenly a date turns into a panel interview! I'm curious how people handle meeting and interacting with the kids?

For me this would be way too soon. My kids have already had one major loss in their lives, I would do anything to ensure they don't face repeated loss of others they care about. They bond really quickly. I wouldn't introduce someone else into their lives unless I was fairly sure the relationship was going to last.

This does present difficulties when dating. Effectively it means I lead a double life. And the guy has to be content with being on the fringes of the family, but also ok with being part of a family eventually. Single dads often share these concerns which is why I prefer to date guys with kids, but it still makes things complicated.

True, and in my opinion my kids aren't baggage they are actually an asset. They might be baggage to someone who doesn't have kids or wants kids.
  • finding_my_way
    finding_my_way Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

'True, and in my opinion my kids aren't baggage they are actually an asset. They might be baggage to someone who doesn't have kids or wants kids."
    [/quote]

:flowerforyou:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I happen to think single dads are hot lol.:blushing: Something about the ability to honestly be there for the kids makes me more into them. That being said I have 2 kids of my own so I'm pretty understanding of the time restrictions. I dont deal with baby momma drama but I just dont meet them if at all possible. My children have not meet anyone I have been dating since my ex-boyfriend. I would only introduce my kids to a man if I thought things were going to progress to a serious level. I think most single fathers are the same way. It takes time to find the right person and you wouldn't want your kids getting attached to someone who is not going to be around.

That being said if you both have kids have a BBQ or meet at the park make it more of a party setting less an interview. Most children just want to see you together and happy. :bigsmile:
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am talking to a guy now who has 3 kids, all quite a bit older than my son. I don't know if it will go anywhere and at this point, it is fun talking. I like very much how much he seems to enjoy his children.