Types of protein supplements do you use

Options
gspea
gspea Posts: 412 Member
Hi all. I am starting the journey and planning on AGB in late summer. My dietician says to use Whet protein shakes and powders.
I have used Soy protein (Slimgenics products) for a long time. Primarily they taste decent - at least the ones we eat regularly.
My question since these powders and mixes can be expensive to buy and try - what do you recommend?

I am supposed to have supplements that have at least 25g of protein per scoop. What kinds don't leave an aftertaste
And actually are pleasant to eat?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Replies

• mamaholt80
    Options
    I like Unjury.
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Jillian Michaels Whey protein Vanilla shake. The best tasting one I have had.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am 4 weeks out of RNY. My nurtrionist requires program participants to drink 3 Unjury shakes a day. I lucky to get in 2. I drink the vanilla in a.m. and strawberry sorbet in p.m. Vanilla tastes better. Unjury is pricey, but required. I'm pretty much used to it now.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i dont really do protein. i most of the time get enough protein with food. i dont have any issues with milk so normally once to twice a day i have a full glass with some carnation instant breakfast mix. works great for me. :)
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love Intek Evolution! You can read more about it here:
    http://inteknutrition.com/PRODUCTS/PROTEIN EVOLUTION/protein.html

It is sold at Total Nutrition stores and if you go into the store they will let you sample flavors.

The Unjury was just gross! And Unjury was more expensive than the Intek Evolution. Intek is formulated to be easy to digest and is tase so much better!
  • lrk81
    lrk81 Posts: 2
    Options
    I had a lap RNY 11/29/11 and I love Isopure's Dutch chocolate.
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been sampling some of the protein shakes/drinks and I too LOVE the ISOPURE!!! 40g Protein per bottle and a LOT of flavors!! (Waiting for approval for RNY Bypass-expected any day!! :)
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was a huge Unjury fan - chocolate tastes great! - but the aspartame scared me off. Have been using GNC's AMP wheybolic (?) - that choc version tastes great too and mixes well in hot drinks (coffee = mocha!) or cold.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I got a sample of unjury from my dietician, and loved it mixed with skim milk and a teaspoon of instant coffee tasted like a mocha, sooooo good. I have a strawberry sorbet one too that I need to try. I liked it because it mixed well, there was not a bad after taste or a bad taste while drinking it.

I was drinking the eas myoplex shakes but they were not the low carb ones, I am going to try those too for days I dont feel like mixing up a shake.

the eas powder is low carb and I have only tried the vanilla and it is yummy.
  • takehomepay
    takehomepay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not really a supplement but Quest bars have 20g each of protein for not too many calories. No weird sweeteners. I keep them on hand (home, car, work) for a quick alternative to worse choices when temptation rears its head.
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I must say, that I just tried "GNC Total Lean - Lean Shake (Strawberries & Cream) and I am so happy that I have finally found a protein shake that I like!!! It tastes great, and goes down smooth. 25g of Protein per serving...so happy
  • freakingenius
    freakingenius Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of shakes that sell the packets for a buck or two. pick some of those up and try them before you buy them in bulk.

personally, i like jay robb's whey protein & jay robb's egg white protein and the line of syntrax nectar protein (i drink the latte flavor every day).

my tastes changed after surgery, so don't be shocked if you loved one type of protein supplement before surgery and can't stand it afterwards. i drank jay robb's tropical pina colada shake before surgery and can't take the sweetness of it anymore.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    After you can have solids, you should try ProtiDiet Instant Maple Brown Sugar oatmeal. I buy it in the tub size at DietDirect.com. I keep some of the individual packets in my desk at work for emergencies.

http://www.dietdirect.com/proamino-protidiet-oatmeal-17oz.html

1 serving is 90 calories, 15 grams of protein, Aspartame Free, and only 6 grams of carbohydrates.

I have been eating this for 3.5 years since my surgery most mornings as my breakfast. It is quick to prepare and it fills me up without a lot of calories. And it tastes really good. I prefer it to real oatmeal these days.
  • chelsey554
    Options
    Omega (multi vitamins) bioten, and eat lots of tuna!! high in protien!!
  • soapboxermel
    soapboxermel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein because I can't have soy. I usually use Designer Whey (Trader Joe's, GNC, Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe) or Jay Robb's (Vitamin Shoppe, Fruitful Yield, probably Whole Foods). Jay Robb's mixes better and I recommend the strawberry flavor for something different. I also prefer Jay Robb's because they make an effort to use rBST-free dairy sources.

I typically use one scoop with one cup of 1% calcium-fortified lactose-free milk and a couple of ice cubes in a shaker. The ice cubes help prevent any clumps (so gross) and make it more palatable. I am lactose intolerant and vitamin D and calcium deficient, hence the milk choice. I have a shake first thing in the morning on days that I do strength training or on days when I don't feel well and am likely to skip a meal or two (e.g., when I'm on antibiotics that screw up my stomach).
  • jmurphyaz
    Options
    Great ideas all! Thank you, I am sure everyone got a chance to learn about a new protein shake.

WARNING: Isopure is a love or hate, I thought it was horrible!!!! But it was the purple and blue ones. I like the powder mixed with stuff, but not everyone can do that early on. So make sure to try 1 or 2 before you commit to buying a bunch.

Good luck!
  • sorchagriannon
    Options
    I used Bariatric Advantage's protein. Out of all that I have tried, these have no whey aftertaste like some others.