Finding fellow hikers in your area...

Options
I just found out about the site: www.meetup.com

It enables you to find like-minded people in your area who like to do similar things...like hiking! For those who have a hard time finding others to hike/backpack with, this might be a great resource.

***Edit: Okay, so I went and checked out hiking groups in my area and there a couple really great groups...including real reviews by people after they have hiked together...great comments and a lot of positive feedback. Am definitely planning on joining up.

Have any of you guys tried this?

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Love meetup.com. I've been hiking around the state with two different groups in my area for a while now. Great way to explore new areas that you don't necessarily want to venture out alone in. They do different levels of hiking and plan overnight hikes a few times a year. :happy:
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Love this Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • veronicastelo
    Options
    I joined a hiking group in Sydney from the Meetup site. My experience was good except there were too many people who joined. Going on a hike with a group larger than 30 with varying degrees of fitness and experience can be difficult if you don't have much patience (like me). We spent a lot of time waiting for people to catch up. Having said that I did find a group that was smaller and for experienced hikers. This was great. If you are planning on joining make sure you read the feedback and get in contact with the cooordinator and other members to really find out if this group is really for you.
  • IB_John
    Options
    Yup I'm in 3 or 4 hiking meetup.com groups. I even lead a hike or two.
  • kydogwalker
    kydogwalker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Yes I have used meetup and am in two groups in my local area. It does help, and we go on hikes to areas I don't know so I get exposure to more places. Love it!

Katherine
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love meetup!! In fact, I am a hiking organizer for one of the local groups. I belong to about 7 groups.. plus there are several other social topics, right down to knitting or book clubs.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    I love meetup!! I have met so many cool people on that site. I haven't participated in many hiking meetup's, but my area has several groups.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for suggesting meetup.com!

I went snowshoeing last weekend for the first time through a meetup.com group. I'd never heard of meetup.com, and it is exactly what I needed in so many ways!
  • mountainmojo34
    mountainmojo34 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This site is good to www.thebackpacker.com
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    I love meetup. I used to lead hikes for the Traildames group in Georgia.
    I am used to hiking with women but now that I am in TN I have signed up with a co-ed group.
    Kinda nervous about it sine I tend to be slower.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use meetup to look for hikes/people to hike with as well....although I think people think I'm not interested because due to working weekends, there's very few I am able to go on.