new and still getting used to my new body

Options
incendia3
incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
Hello, all. I am new to the group and also relatively new to my thyroid issue. I had mine completely removed in November of 2010. I instantly gained 30 pounds and am still holding on to all of it. I started running a little over a year ago and am now up to an average of 30 miles per week....still with no weight loss. My Dr. has increased my Synthroid levels 3 times now and I am up to 200 MCG. She is very against adding a T3 replacement even though I have begged. For now, I am tryng it her way and just continuing to work very hard. I've just joined MFP and would love any and all advice.

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I would fire that doctor. I took Synthroid for 15 years and never once did I have a day without symptoms of hypothyroidism. Synthroid does absolutely nothing to correct your thyroid disease.

Here's the deal - Syntrhoid is synthetic T4. The doctors only blood test for TSH - Thyroid Stimulating Hormone which is produced by your pituitary gland. If your pituitary thinks you need more T4 is generates more TSH trying to tell your thyroid to start making T4.
    T4 is an "inactive" hormone -- your body cannot really use it for anything. A HEALTHY thyroid takes the T4 and converts it to T3(active hormone) in the presence of healthy adrenals and a healthy amount of iodine in your system.

These brain-dead doctors do not test you for T3. They ASSume that your diseased thyroid is taking the synthetic T4 in Synthroid and converting it to the T3 that your metabolism needs. How stupid is that??? They also don't test for Reverse T3. This is a "blank" of T3. When you are under stress, your body can produce too much RT3 - it plugs up the T3 receptors in your cells and doesn't allow your body to use the free T3 that's floating around. This effectively slows your metabolism down to absolutely nothing -- I have Reverse T3 -- I finally found a Naturopath that helped me figure this out and is working with me to get rid of it.

Finally, you have Hashimotos - antibodies in your blood that are attacking your thyroid and eventually will kill it. I have Hashi also and no doctor ever tested me for it - or even cared that I have it.

So, if all they test is TSH - how the he-double-hockey-stick do they ASSume that everything is honkey dorey is beyond me.

Sorry for the rant - but these doctors stink!
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Terri gave you lots of good advice.

Just want to chime in here to check out the website stopthethyroidmadness.com

And to 2nd the motion for firing your doctor. Many of us have gone from doctor to doctor, not at all uncommon for thyroid patients.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome. :)

You already got a lot of good advice. I'd definitely consider consulting another doctor if I were you. If you have that option available, an endocrinologist that specializes in thyroid would be your best bet. Having a good doctor is extremely important in getting the right treatment for your particular case.

I don't really have much to add, except that I know how you feel. I had my thyroid removed in July 2010 and I've been there where you're now. Almost 50 pounds gain, basically overnight. About 10 of those I did need, but the remaining 40 is just too much. But, once my hormones stabilized, I started losing. At a snail's pace, but still consistently losing. Just don't give up, it will move eventually.
  • incendia3
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I have been doing my own research and not just relying on what my doctor says anymore. This winter was particularly rough for me. I turned into an emotional basket case and have never experienced that before. I was angry and sad all the time and cried so freaking much I was starting to scare myself. With the push of my boyfriend (who has the patience of a god) I started reading everything I could about the thyroid and then had my doctor check all of my levels not just TSH. My T3 and T4 are testing normal but my TSH was at almost 5.

When I say my dr. doesn't believe in giving T3 replacements, I should say that is only in most cases. She does prescribe it in extreme cases, but doesn't feel mine is that much of a cause for alarm. I, of course, disagree. I think it's extreme that I run 5 miles a day and can't lose any weight at all. I've decided to give her a little longer depending on how my next blood test goes. Just to clarify, she is an endochronologist at the best hospital in the country, so I do believe she knows more than I do lol.

Sister_Someone, you are the first person I have met who has also had theirs completely removed. What medication are you taking and what dosage finally worked for you?
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I have been doing my own research and not just relying on what my doctor says anymore. This winter was particularly rough for me. I turned into an emotional basket case and have never experienced that before. I was angry and sad all the time and cried so freaking much I was starting to scare myself. With the push of my boyfriend (who has the patience of a god) I started reading everything I could about the thyroid and then had my doctor check all of my levels not just TSH. My T3 and T4 are testing normal but my TSH was at almost 5.

When I say my dr. doesn't believe in giving T3 replacements, I should say that is only in most cases. She does prescribe it in extreme cases, but doesn't feel mine is that much of a cause for alarm. I, of course, disagree. I think it's extreme that I run 5 miles a day and can't lose any weight at all. I've decided to give her a little longer depending on how my next blood test goes. Just to clarify, she is an endochronologist at the best hospital in the country, so I do believe she knows more than I do lol.

Sister_Someone, you are the first person I have met who has also had theirs completely removed. What medication are you taking and what dosage finally worked for you?

I can totally relate to the part of your post about becoming an emotional basket case - my Dr. even wanted to put me on medicine for depression - I said NO - I'll find a way to deal with this, without taking another danged pill. Seems like the minute I turned 44, I started having all these medical problems - and I just wasn't ready to admit I was middle aged :(
    In my opinion, hypothyroid also messes with my emotional self - and I have to constantly tell myself I can overcome this or at the very least, learn to live with it. But like you - I'm not giving my current Doctor very long, and if I don't start feeling more like my normal self - I'm gonna get another Dr's opinion. I'm NOT that old and I don't wanna feel ANY older than I already do. LIFE's too short to go around feeling shortchanged!!!!!

Good luck to everyone here struggling with this hypo or hyper stuff!
    ~~PR
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Others may disagree (because everyone is different) but the addition of t3 hormone did not make weight loss easier for *me*.

It did balance out my hormone levels so that I had a sense of well-being and I felt like myself again!
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to the part of your post about becoming an emotional basket case -

Me too... But that was a few months ago. After I changed the doctor, and the new one increased my T4 dosage I felt much better.
    And my TSH levels were at the top of the normal. Not even more than that. (I take now 75 mcg of T4)
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think we hope that T3 will make weight loss easier, but agree it may not be all. Hashimoto brings it's own dilemma -- because you can have days/weeks where the antibodies go up and attack your thyroid even more and send you T3/T4/TSH levels into a tailspin -- so the blood test you have one day isn't necessarily the same as it will be the next week.

That's why it's ultra-important to find a doctor that will treat your symptoms and not just your lab tests. Because if you are tired, depressed, hair falling out, cold/hot, insomnia, constipated, fat and sick -- and your labs are "normal" they won't help you!!
  • nspink
    nspink Posts: 65
    Options
    I had mines removed in 02/2011. Wow! its been a year this month! I also gained weight instantly eventhough I started eating healthy and working out, I still gained over 20 pounds. I'm currently on a combo of T4 and T3. My levels have not stabalized yet though. I'm still working out and on the low calorie intake. I'm losing the weight very slowly. But hoping it will be at a faster rate once the levels are correct. Just don't stop working out and eating healthy otherwise you'll continue to put on the weight. Just don't give up, keep pushing forward, and take one day at a time. You need to push your endo to add T3, if not, I would suggest you switch to a different one. Good Luck! We're here for you!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I wouldn't really rely on an endorsement that the hospital is the best in the country (many claim to be :wink: ) since there can be lazy and stupid people in any profession or company that is otherwise considered to be first class. If she is not willing to at least try what you are asking (unless it is very dangerous to do it) then they really should be replaced. Too many times with my wife doctors just want to prescribe meds that they like with no regard for the reason why they might be needed in the first place. More and more I'm seeing that so many meds can be eliminated with hormore replacements or balancing through diet.
  • incendia3
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on an a hospital's own claim that they are the best, but I have done my research. I also don't believe she is lazy or stupid. She doesn't want to give me a T3 because she feels they have more negative effects on the body than positive ones. As soon as I mentioned it she started telling me all the information that I had found on my own. I at least know she's not one of the ones who doesn't keep up on current trends. She just doesn't agree with all of them. Like I said, if there aren't significant changes soon I will be shopping around. Thank you all for your input. It's all very helpful.