Feeling a little bummed/ confused.

Options
Okay so I started true LC diet two days ago ( already lost three lbs) But i went to my dietician yesterday bc I'm a type one diabetic and i'm getting an insulin pump so I had to go and do a pre pump session which is just clairfying that i know how to count carbs and take the correct amount of insulin.

Anyways, I had to take in several days of my food logs and when she saw i was doing LC/HF she freaked out! started giving me this spill about how it's not good for me and how as a diabetic KETOSIS is BAD and it will ruin my kidneys!

I know i know everyone is going to say do what your dr. tells you. BUT any other diabetics out there go ahead and do it anyway for a little bit??

She told me i shouldn't do any less than 130 g of carbs a day!! that's alot??

Replies

• GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone here is going to tell you not to listen to your doctor. We certainly don't want to put your health and jeopardy - so if this is what your doctor wants, I would strongly consider it. But there is nothing wrong with getting a second medical opinion. If you feel your doctor's advice might not be best for you, maybe you can seek out a different medical professional who can work with you and help you find a weightloss plan that won't put your health at risk?
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    #1 - She is not a doctor. She is a dietitian.

You should see your doctor. He could do some blood work on you and could better advise you what is safe. Dietitians are trained with the old conventional wisdom when it comes to dieting. The 130 carbs a day is totally arbitrary. There is no science behind that #. Best to get your doctors OK.

If you do some research online you will find that there are opinions out there with a positive outlook on keto with type 1 diabetics. Don't get discouraged yet! :) I would suggest you educated yourself and see a doctor. :) Good luck!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    #1 - She is not a doctor. She is a dietitian.

You should see your doctor. He could do some blood work on you and could better advise you what is safe. Dietitians are trained with the old conventional wisdom when it comes to dieting. The 130 carbs a day is totally arbitrary. There is no science behind that #. Best to get your doctors OK.

If you do some research online you will find that there are opinions out there with a positive outlook on keto with type 1 diabetics. Don't get discouraged yet! :) I would suggest you educated yourself and see a doctor. :) Good luck!
    THIS!!!!
    See a doctor......my Dad is a diabetic and there's no way he could tolerate that many carbs.......but each individual is different....get a second opinion!
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Somehow I totally read that wrong - dietitian, not doctor. I'd ask a doctor. No offense to anyone in that profession, but my experience with dietitians and nutritionists have never been positive ones.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    I plan to ask my diabetes doc ( endocrinologist) and then see what she says.

I ONLY saw the dietician b/c i had to for my pre pump session ( they are the ones puting the pump on me) so i had to!!

thanks!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ask your Endo! Mine encouraged low carb for my insulin resistance (not diabetic, but PCOS). Endos seem to be the most educated about the plussses and minuses of low carb, in my experience.
  • tarakay84
    Options
    Ask your Endo! Mine encouraged low carb for my insulin resistance (not diabetic, but PCOS). Endos seem to be the most educated about the plussses and minuses of low carb, in my experience.

yes i plan to ask my endo. I also have PCOS. but i'm also a type one diabetic.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I would get a few more opinions!
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Type 1 diabetics are the only people actually able get into a state of ketoacidosis so she was definitely right that it is something to be worried about. You should really talk to your endocrinologist about it asap.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The problem is that Ketosis and Ketoacidosis are not even remotely related, except unfortunately by similar sounding names. Ketoacidosis can generally only occur in type 1 diabetics that are eating WAY too many carbs and sugar. Eating low carb actually can not only not cause Ketoacidosis, it will actually actively prevent that from occuring at all.