Just joined!

Options
My daughter is 5 mos now. WHen she starts nursing less, will should I adjust my calorie intake then? It makes sense if I"m making less milk, that I"d be burning less calories..anyone?

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! If your daughter is currently nursing exclusively (no formula and no solids) then you can add around 500 calories per day (it varies a bit but that's a good estimate). When she starts eating some solids or if you start supplementing with some formula, you might want to take that down to around 200-300 and see how it works out for you.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! If your daughter is currently nursing exclusively (no formula and no solids) then you can add around 500 calories per day (it varies a bit but that's a good estimate). When she starts eating some solids or if you start supplementing with some formula, you might want to take that down to around 200-300 and see how it works out for you.

I completely agree!
  • meganmarie21
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I am excited to lose this weight!
  • princessleia1980
    princessleia1980 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've always had trouble estimating how many calories my breastfeeding uses. My LO is 5 months too. I just set my calories to maintain my weight so that I know I am getting enough, then a deficit is created by the breastfeeding. This works because it's not depriving your body of food. I have lost 1.5lbs this week following that method and I ate plenty of chocolate, but within calories.
  • meganmarie21
    Options
    So, MFP gave me 1200 as a daily goal. I"d like to lose about 2 lbs per week. Should I customize my goal to 1800 and let my exercise be my deficit?
  • meganmarie21
    Options
    What is your calorie goal?
  • princessleia1980
    Options
    1200 sounds very low! I eat 1900 with no exercise added. I am 5'2" and 170lbs. If I stick to calories I lose 1-1.5lbs a week. If you eat too low calories your body will hang on more to the weight in my experience.
    I did this at WW and did not lose much at all. My leader kept telling me to eat less, but really I needed to eat more!
  • princessleia1980
    Options
    I mean I do exercise and eat the calories, but my base is 1900