Plateau Frustrations -- Grrr.

Options
QuakerMom
QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
Okay, so I've technically lost 11 lbs in 7 weeks, as of tomorrow. Not bad overall. But, the first 5 lbs came off in the first 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of plateau, then roughly another 5 lbs lost in week 5 -- the week i first eliminated all sugar/grains. Then 2 weeks of another plateau.
Is this normal?
I know since I only have around 10 lbs left to lose my weight loss won't be a dramatic 2 lbs a week, but shouldn't i at least expect a modest 1/2 - 1lb /week consistently, given little change to my overall calories, staying primal (now also mostly dairy-free) and keeping my carbs (for close to 3 weeks now) below 100 g/day? I did see tiny losses on waist/hip measurements, but not much really.

Is it possible this is hormonal/TOM related? Any other women out there have long plateaus attributable to TOM?

And, how do you stay motivated to stick with the plan when you aren't seeing results??
Or, should I change something up again, since it seems like i lost the most right after big changes (1st, just tracking/measuring portions/cutting cals, then going primal)? Most of the past 10 days or so (exc yesterday w/a small splurge) my carbs have been close to 80 g / day. I can't really see going much lower than that.

Today (b/c it's Ash Wed mainly) i've decided to do a modified fast (only chicken broth for lunch and dinner). We'll see if that helps kickstart things again.

Thanks for any suggestions or commiserating!

--Rita

Replies

• Cavewomancafe
    Cavewomancafe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just did this long reply and stupid MFP sent it into space. Grrrrrr. basically what I have learned is up your proteins and do not eat heavy carbs after 3 pm. Lower carbs to 50 and calories to 1400. You should see some change. But I hear you about plateaus! I'm on one now. I need to lose just.tow.more.pounds. till my knee surgery on Tuesday. Here is a few posts I did on them.
    http://cavewomancafe.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/the-pursuit-of-protein/
    http://cavewomancafe.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/drunken-stew/
    Hang in there cave sister!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I would NOT get frustrated.
    1st off, you are just plain eating healthy. Not a diet right?
    The weight will come off in stages.
    I do find I will do mini plateaus here and there, but it is just my body adapting. I will have days where I seem to gain, then it falls off in clumps (;)
    I do track and keeping your number where cavewoman says is good.
    I didn't see what you are doing for exercise - I'd mix that up some whatever it is (or isn't).
    I'd also make sure you are getting enough protein - it can be a mistake to deny yourself some solid food stuffs (protein in the shape of a cow/chicken/fish) - thinking you are lowing your calories.
  • Cavewomancafe
    Cavewomancafe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh and IF (intermittent fasting) Is great like you are planning on doing. A 24 hours one helped break me through my last plateau. Mike is right on with us remembering that this is a lifestyle change not a diet.
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, true that it's a lifestyle and about eating healthy. But truthfully, if I were not concerned about losing my excess weight, I would not be spending the time it takes to track everything I eat! I would just eat 'approved' foods, until full, without over-indulging. It has gotten easier in the 7 weeks i've now been consistently tracking, but honestly at least 4 or 5 times a week I have to enter in a whole recipe and figure out how much of it constitutes one serving -- since i'm cooking for a family of 4. I'm getting used to it, but I have to say it's a bit of a pain, and if all my tracking is not helping to lose the extra weight, then I am starting to wonder if it's worth it.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I can see how doing recipes can be a pain to figure out.
    You might just "fudge" it by grabbing the main ingredients? I'm sure you have gotten a feel for what doesn't have much caloric/carb values. e.g. most vegi's.
    Anyway, don't get frustrated, try to fine tune. I am confident it will pay off for you in the end.